Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:43 am

They sold pieces of the Berlin Wall.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:52 am

Sean, is one of those buses the splittie that you were restoring? Did you document the process online? I'd like to check it out.

Sean Gallagher
Addicted!

Post by Sean Gallagher » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:22 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Sean, is one of those buses the splittie that you were restoring? Did you document the process online? I'd like to check it out.
Yes. You can follow my comedic efforts on the LEAKOIL websites.

The first part is on the old LEAKOIL site that is still on-line here: http://www.odinpowersailors.com/leakoil ... .php?t=529

The second part is on the new LEAKOIL site here: http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=235

Taken with a crappy cell camera, but here's the bus. I'm happy I had Colin drive it. As usual, he gave me a few insightful pointers. I think he actually enjoyed the non-synchronized first gear!

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:49 pm

yondermtn wrote:They sold pieces of the Berlin Wall.
This is a piece of concrete my brother gave me from the WTC. He put a couple chunks in his pocket which he found blocks away from ground zero - a little piece of history to talk with my kids about. It's amazing how little it weighs.

Sean, you've really done a super nice job with your bus. I'm drooling =D>
-'72 Westy-

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:21 pm

Sean, that bus is so shiny. Nice interior too. Very cozy.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:22 pm

Yes, that bus has come a long way. It'll take me a while to go through those threads, but so far very inspirational.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:24 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Troy, do you think we can melt down The Road Warrior and make IAC rings out of it. How cool would that be?
Oregon72 wrote:This is a piece of concrete my brother gave me from the WTC. He put a couple chunks in his pocket which he found blocks away from ground zero - a little piece of history to talk with my kids about. It's amazing how little it weighs.

So you'll get your work to do the rings?!!?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:50 am

chitwnvw wrote:
I can see it in a movie, all of us getting together years from now and reassembling The Road Warrior. It'll be a teary moment and we'll all remember The Itinerant and the steed that carried him through so many adventures...cut to montage.
See the expression in your avatar? That's what the movie reviewer's would look like. "What? What? What have I just been subjected to?"
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:21 am

Sean, thank you for your hospitality, as ever, top-drawer. Your bus definitely has spirit and will be even more spirited with a correct clutch adjustment, thanks for not mentioning how I missed my double-clutch into first gear pulling into the restaurant parking lot.

I wanted (badly) to collar you and rope you into a discussion of the current American landscape with our Constitutional Scholar President and the latest decisions of the Supreme Court, but we had more of a VW enthusiast gathering, didn't we?

Don, here's to 50 :clock: may we enjoy the exquisite freedom that comes with hard-won experience.
Colin

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:05 am

Amskeptic wrote: may we enjoy the exquisite freedom that comes with hard-won experience.
Colin
More friggin' brilliant quotes. When's the book coming out, huh?

One day, if you buy me a beer(s) I'll tell you about my 50th birthday in the Winnemucca Hotel. :cheers: It was a loooooong time ago. :pale:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:17 am

glasseye wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: may we enjoy the exquisite freedom that comes with hard-won experience.
Colin
More friggin' brilliant quotes. When's the book coming out, huh?

One day, if you buy me a beer(s) I'll tell you about my 50th birthday in the Winnemucca Hotel. :cheers: It was a loooooong time ago. :pale:
I know this story. It is worth a least a couple of beers. Probably more. :drunken:

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:23 am

glasseye wrote:
Anything like my 21st birthday, trapped in Stoneham Massachusetts with a blurry drunk real-estate lady stuffed into a pants suit with predatory designs slurring too many times, "If I'da known it waszzzh your BIRTHday I wooda baked yoowa CAAAKE." ??
Colin
(lessee, my bus and I were one year, two months, fifteen days into our thirty year association)

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:05 am

You "COUGAR" hunter...... :drunken:
Facebook for new product releases and special deals: Werks Berg
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
SOS: Support Our Shops....
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:39 am

Sean your bus is gorgeous. Thank you for taking the time and energy to do it right! :flower:

I remember seeing that bus as a work in progress a few years ago (two years ago if memory serves!) and it was already drool-inducing then.
PLUS we got to share food and drink with your lovely wife and son among good friends. Good times! *happysigh*
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra