Road Warrior Photographs

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:19 am

keep ur head up dude.

it takes something like this to wake us all up sometimes.
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:42 am

el milagro

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:00 am

Fucking ouch. So glad you're ok.

My thanks also to Quad for his assistance to you.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:16 am

I'm grateful to your bus for keeping you alive. Just like in every other way it did what it was designed to do.

Get well soon!
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:42 am

I really can't believe this. Just horrible. I guess it's beyond repair with that frame damage. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

That rear seat picture got me. That's right where my son sits! I'll be bolting my toolbox to the floor back there.

You should pull as much as possible from the Bus for a new Bus before it goes to?.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:45 am

The pictures really bring it home. What happened is frightening. What could have happened is terrifying. The Bus did its job well. I shudder to think of a split window Bus in the same situation.

My 16-year-old daughter is going through driver's ed right now so this really hits home for me. I hope and pray that her good sense (she seems to have enough) would never allow her to be the 19 year-old in your scenario, but you never know. But if she had been where you were, would she have the confidence to really cut hard? I hope and pray that her instructors and I are teaching her well.

Please tell us about the changes you are contemplating when you are ready.....
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:22 am

I know you will be traveling again soon, so you are going to have to leave Road Warrior behind. This might be your only opportunity to take parts. Everyone else has had long waits for the insurance company, so unless Quad fetches the bus for you, I fear this will be your last goodbye. I envision myself, screwdriver in hand, removing all the immaculate original trim parts and packing them in boxes for you, as most of us are thinking similar thoughts.

I'm guessing you will fetch the Lexus. How will you move your tools and stuff? (edit: rental car, of course). I'm really glad that big heavy box stayed in the back, whew!

When here, you mentioned fear of the front end caving in, and three weeks later it happens. It took that hit very well, and you are OK, and I'm glad of that. I'm going to assume your seatbelt was fastened.

The thing that upsets me the most is that the accident didn't need to happen. You moved over far enough the girl had room between you and the car she was passing.
71 bus, 74 westy

blatzer
Getting Hooked!

Post by blatzer » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:37 am

sometimes we know not why, but we see how, and for you my friend, a change has come and the future will never be the same, and now just to see and find out what lies ahead- but a miracle has just occured, never underestimate the unbounded providence that has just transpired- you're Alive and still truckin'!
Enlighten the people, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day.
Thomas Jefferson

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:54 am

youch.

Just glad you're okay.

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:56 pm

Colin,

I am so sorry. But you know, I bet Willy could fix it up just like new!
You'd have to move here, of course. Then open up your garage for all us Pacific Northwesterners -- yes, have it cranked up to 90 degrees in there for sure!

I am soooooooo relieved you are OK...hard to believe looking at the pictures.

I still need to post from your visit and I have one of your little screwdrivers that I would like to return. So there's a couple of good things to look forward to. :drunken:
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:06 am

misszora wrote:Colin,

I am so sorry. But you know, I bet Willy could fix it up just like new!
You'd have to move here, of course. Then open up your garage for all us Pacific Northwesterners -- yes, have it cranked up to 90 degrees in there for sure!

I am soooooooo relieved you are OK...hard to believe looking at the pictures.

I still need to post from your visit and I have one of your little screwdrivers that I would like to return. So there's a couple of good things to look forward to. :drunken:
Aw you made me laugh, misszora, thanks. My life has been blessed with a lot of laughter through tears.

Thanks for the pictures you guys have been posting, they are a salve. My oldest picture of the bus in my laptop is this:

My great friend to this day, who emailed me with a memory of listening to ELO in it, he also drove it as a kid and an adult.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:01 am

skin daddio wrote:el milagro
Si.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

flatlander
I'm New!

Post by flatlander » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:35 pm

Here are some photos of the Road Warrior during Colin's first visit with us. This is the infamous snow in June appointment where Colin and Mitch (whc03grady) worked on our '74 Westy.

(you can see that the snow wasn't that bad, it melted as soon as it hit the pavement after all)

Because of the crappy weather, Colin finished his visit with us at Maupin.

Mitch and Colin returning from the test drive in the background, while the rest of us patiently waited at the campground.

jtauxe
Addicted!

Re: Road Warrior Photographs

Post by jtauxe » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:31 pm

Amskeptic wrote:So I am heartsick. But there was some effective crash engineering. Quadratruckseite and I were marvelling at how this thing worked in the crash with those frame rails participating mightily to give me another day:
That right there is why you still have your left foot: The diagonal box beam that they added - when? (I know it was not on my '69.) The box transferred the energy of that crash right back to the main fore-and-aft box, with nary a welded seam torn! Without it, the floor would have simply folded up, with your foot in it. Still and all, you are one lucky SOB. And, as others have said, you have the Road Warrior to thank for taking the hit.

You said it was the wrong end for a great bus. I don't know what a "right" end would be... Better to have served for so long and buy the farm while still serving than to rust away from neglect in some junk yard. Given its mileage, it pushed the odds into new territory as it was.
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:48 pm

I can't imagine how it was driving along peacefully enjoying the evening then seeing headlights coming for you in your lane...
You're right - that bus saved his life. What better sacrifice could it give?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat