Road Warrior Meets Its End . . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Road Warrior Meets Its End . . .

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:12 am

Head-on collision was a glancing blow that managed to punch the front end in two feet or so. I saw headlamps just coming right at me at the crest of the hill in my lane.
The other driver was a 19 year-old girl who just panicked. She steered into my desperate swerve to the right shoulder then at the last instant tried to get back to her side of the road. I hit her at about 45 mph, the officer said she was likely doing 60-65 considering how far she travelled after impact. I travelled into the ditch then up an embankment against a fence. I remember exactly what I was thinking on my way to the fence.
"This is wrong."

I will upload the pictures I took immediately after the crash. The Road Warrior looks fatally wounded. I am surprised and grateful to find that I am still walking, with just a damn sore neck and some surface lacerations on my left leg and a swollen right ankle. The officer said that she did not fare so well and her car got torn up pretty good.
Quadratruckseite was kind enough to pick me up from the hospital, and I am posting from his computer before I attempt some sleep.

Not two minutes before impact, I was thinking "what a nice car." Quadratruckseite had just driven it and I was happy with its manners, its cozy quiet interior in the rain, and the sound of the engine as I had just caught 4th gear on this hill in the evening light on my way to Detroit MI.

I am very sad. This was a great great road car with a huge heart. I do not know what I am going to do just yet, but sleep. I am thousands of miles from anywhere.

Once again, I am left with no patience for idiots. Who passes just before the crest of a hill on a two lane road?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Re: Road Warrior Meets Its End . . .

Post by midatlanticys » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:31 am

Amskeptic wrote: . . . . . I am surprised and grateful to find that I am still walking.

I am very sad. Colin
WOW!! I'm shocked . . . completely w/o words . . . . and also very pleased you found yourself walking too and hope the same for the girl.

All prayers, good vibes and warm thoughts headed your way.
Amskeptic wrote: The Road Warrior looks fatally wounded.
. . . . . no matter what it takes, the IAC flagship must be recovered.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:11 am

::tear:: O Colin Im holding my words to you of sorrow and sadness because of a forever fear that this may happen. Ive long worried about your travel mode on two lane roads after dark and tired work on our buses. With all your wisdom, you cared little for your own. I pray this will change your mind and make a better path for you to follow.

I have always loved what you do and offer us ACers and you also, Barb and Elwood ~~~~ please recover from this soon

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:29 am

Hiya Colin,

Glad, of course, to hear that you are reasonably OK.

Looks like you have a few travel days on your schedule which can convert to recuperation days. And I'm sure those remaining on your schedule will move dates around to accomodate you.

Suffering fools should not be this painful.

Take care of yourself.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:50 am

I gotta say it....

Pics or it didn't happen.

Glad you're ok....I've got enough parts here Colin we could rebuild her in a weekend.....pop in a new headlight aimed for the sky....or the road depending which way the nose is bent and bring her on home.....

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:06 am

Vdubtech wrote:. . . . pop in a new headlight . . . . and bring her on home.....
Vdt - I'm with you =D> and would suggest we start an "IAC Bring 'er Home" fund aimed at making sure Colin's iconic bus is made roadworthy again. . . . . - I just don't see an option, even before the carnage is posted! Count me in with the first $100 - paypalled to Sluggo?

still feeling that awful throat lump of the shock and awe felt to wake up to this thread!! . . . . seriously hope all's OK on your end Colin!!

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:16 am

Disbelief. Glad you're ok. Let me know if I can help in any way.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:55 am

:pale: ...Glad to hear you're OK.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:56 am

Whoa. Glad to hear you are OK. Sorry to hear about the road warrior - I can only imagine. Don't worry about this weekend - we'll workout a make-up date.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:34 am

Colin - so sorry to hear about your crash :pale: ! Glad you were able to walk away!!! I too am all for you rebuilding it if at all possible.

Thank god it wasn't the BobD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:36 am

Holy Crap! Glad you were able to walk away from that. A testament to how tough these old buses actually are. Specially at that speed. Hope recovery isn't to hard. Sometimes that neck stuff is a lingering pain. Was the other driver insured? Will the BobD be drafted into a life of service?
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:37 am

Within just a few seconds of finding out that Colin was ok, the life of that bus, as I've known it, flashed right before my eyes. Trips to West Virginia, through swimming-hole creeks and up a mountain where no one thought it could go. The scattered conversation of kids coming in and out over the wind and rumble. And perhaps one of my all-time favorite memories, bus-related or not, a little dinner for two with a view of the Connecticut moon, on the red tool box by the sliding door. Hope I get to trip over those speakers again, someday.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:53 am

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :pale:

Scary accident. I am SO glad you aren't seriously hurt.

Dare I ask about your seat belt? How about all your stuff? Did it fly around? Computer broken?, or simply towed with the vehicle?

Rotten, rotten luck.
71 bus, 74 westy

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Post by Quadratrückseite » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:35 am

We are going today to look at the bus. It's still unbelievable. Colin is on the phone with the insurance company right now. He's doing great - just a few scrapes and a sore neck/head. Sad, sad end to a great day...we had gotten my bus on the road and driving, and I had gotten to drive the blue bus. I'm hoping the damage isn't as bad as we think, but it looks pretty bad from the pictures he took.
"The bus is the real talisman. It's the thing that runs through all of this history. It's not a thing anybody owns or controls. No matter how peeved you get with people, the bus always makes your heart jump. Everybody was attached to it."
- Ken Kesey

Steve
1978 Country Homes Camper conversion - "Gus"

http://gusthevwbus.com
http://freshandmodern.com/blog

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:38 am

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you came out of it ok. It could have been so much worse. Rest home and get home safe.

Good vibes going to you.
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.