Road Warrior Meets Its End . . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

nathan@el
Getting Hooked!

Post by nathan@el » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:08 pm

Wow, I don't even know what to say! I am very glad that you are okay Colin, and very sad to see such a beautiful bus maimed so horribly. Me and Alia were just mentioning the other day how impressive the condition of your bus was.

But, as others have said, it can be replaced, and you definitely can't. I'm glad you made it out of that accident with so little damage (at least to your physical body).
Orange 1980 Vanagon L Westy
~190,000 miles on body
~20,000 on engine

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:11 pm

Sorry to hear about the accident. The important thing is that you are ok - as for the road warrior it did it's best to protect you one more time and sounds like it did if you were able to walk away. Hope you have a quick recovery.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:34 pm

midatlanticys wrote:
Vdubtech wrote:. . . . pop in a new headlight . . . . and bring her on home.....
Vdt - I'm with you =D> and would suggest we start an "IAC Bring 'er Home" fund aimed at making sure Colin's iconic bus is made roadworthy again. . . . . - I just don't see an option, even before the carnage is posted! Count me in with the first $100 - paypalled to Sluggo?
Sorry to read about this accident..... :pale:

But I'll match Mid A offer too.....
Facebook for new product releases and special deals: Werks Berg
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
SOS: Support Our Shops....
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:35 pm

In case you all couldn't tell, I am not a "car person." I couldn't tell you what I drive, except that it's red. I'd have to go out into the driveway and look. I'm not kidding.

But today I am sick and sad and just troubled by the loss of that lovely blue bus. Nearly 20 years of memories. My cousin, who sat on Colin's lap and drove it, at age 5, just called to say that he's distraught too.

There are worse things, of course. And there's always the need for perspective. But it sucks anyway.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:09 pm

Colin -

I'm so glad you are OK, if shaken (I know I would be). I've notified the Los Alamos contingent. We know you are distraught beyond words at the stupidity, the carelessness, and futility of it all. But at least you are OK. That's the important part. You are damned lucky, actually.

And to all those who feel so safe and confident behind the wheel of a bus because they themselves are good drivers -- it's the other guy who's going to change all that.

One chapter ends and another begins. Bob D bus will take over in 2010, as you had suggested. But that '73 was like family to you, I know.

Your wrench awaits you in Michigan for when you get back to work. :blackeye:
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:51 pm

Speedy recovery boss !

Lets get that warrior back on the road where it belongs...if its too far gone, theres always the Smithsonian !!
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:13 pm

Sorry to hear this. I'll bet this pissed you and I don't blame you one bit. Sending good karma and vibes your way. I hope the girl wasn't hurt too badly either.

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:15 pm

Glad you're OK, Colin. That's very scary.

I hope there is some way to fix the Road Warrior, it would be shame for it not to make 1 million miles, even if needs a face transplant to get there.

I truly hope you don't press the BobD bus in to service; it's absolutely one of a kind and deserves to be preserved. I just read on the TheSamba about some fool spending $30K restoring a Bay, and it will still never be what the BobD bus is.

I don't have a lot of parts, but you are welcome to anything I have; steering box, passenger door, window glass, wheel and tire, etc.

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:51 pm

Damn damn damn damn damn damn damn damn damn damn.

I've learned a lot from you Colin, and I've learned a lot from that bus. I'm pissed and sad and glad just typing this. Pissed that such a great warrior met its end in such a pedestrian way. Sad that Ludwig won't get to chat with him again as they sit on the street, waiting for us to finish some dumb thing on our Squareback. Glad that you're walking around.

Time to take a little time off? Finish penning a book perhaps?
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:59 pm

Oh, no! :pale: was all I could think, reading the topic title.

So glad you're not hurt, Colin. At least in body. Your spirit must have taken a hit.

You and Road Warrior are legendary. You both deserve a better fate than to be nailed by an idiot. My deepest sympathies yourwaywards.

Peter and Frito, shedding a tear.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Runamuck Bus
Getting Hooked!

Post by Runamuck Bus » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:00 pm

Colin,
First thing, glad you seem to be OK. Please recover with care.
Sorry to hear about the bus and I am hopeful that things will work out for you - your health, your vehicle, your travels.
Take care.
p.s. - some '72 parts available, let me know.
Endeavor to Persevere.
'72 Weekender

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:35 pm

yikes! take'r easy. rolling the scene in my mental projector and its harsh. wanting to see the photos. what a scenario, passing up a hill, dayang. hammy's wife, now you. sawx.

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:38 pm

Awwww Jeezz!! That just bums me out - If it wasn't for your awareness and quick reaction, this thread could be even more sad. Just a shame :pale:

I think Randy makes the best point - a lost bus is much easier to take than a lost comrade. All the best to you Colin.
-'72 Westy-

keifernet
Getting Hooked!

Post by keifernet » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:51 pm

Really sorry to hear of the damage to the bus... but really glad your not hurt bad or worse :pale:

Damn sure sucks to loose such a faithful friend as the bus was... but DAMN SURE glad the community did not loose YOU.

Take care, rest, heal... and may the recovery of the material things be smooth after your physical being is take care of FIRST.

deadaheadub
I'm New!

Post by deadaheadub » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:45 pm

I'm so glad you are relatively unscathed. So sorry!!! about your beloved Road Warrior- we all can relate to how it would feel to lose our own- but very very glad you personally are physically OK. I also would like to help with the "reconstructive surgery" of Road Warrior if that is a viable option.
best wishes
Ryan