Road Warrior Meets Its End . . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

MConverse
Getting Hooked!

Post by MConverse » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:40 am

Colin, I just saw this post and wanted to say I'm happy you are doing well, and I'm deeply saddened by the loss of Road Warrior.

Take as much time as you need to heal physically, mentally, and spiritually. It's not often that we experience life-altering moments, and be they good or bad, we need time to process them before we can move on.

Also know that once you are ready to move on, you have a nation wide group of friends that are more than willing to do whatever it takes to help you get where you need be. Be it a garage, parts to help (re)build, a couch, or a sympathetic shoulder to cry on, I'm sure everyone here is ready to support you with anything they can.

If you need anything at all, don't hold back, please speak up, you have many friends that want to help.

Mike

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:48 am

pj wrote:Always lived by the thought that every day you wake up is a victory.

Today Delores and I celebrate your great victory, may you have many more.
Beautifully said.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:49 am

sorry to read of this colin- glad your alright!

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:55 pm

Criminacious....I have been out of the loop for a couple of days and am just seeing this.

So glad you are OK. Hope the young lady is ok too , (and that they throw the book at her).

There is a great outpouring of love in this thread.

This little bit of icing:
MConverse wrote:I'm sure everyone here is ready to support you with anything they can.

If you need anything at all, don't hold back, please speak up, you have many friends that want to help.
reminds me to remind you that when it comes time to ask for something, you remember that in a community, receiving can be as important as giving. Give us a chance to allow you to receive. Whatever it is. Don't be afraid to PM. I feel a bit helpless though I have a yearning to help somehow.

You will be getting my positive/healing/peace vibes and await your request for anything more you need.

GypsieSorelievedthatIwillstilllbelableltojibeColinabouthishotpants :pirate:
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:41 pm

I'll bet you're stiff and sore today, Colin. Revel in the soreness, it could be so much worse. Think about it, if the A pillar is into the wheel well your left leg shoulda been in the way. What'd you dive outta the way with cat like reflexes? Glad you are relatively unscathed, Buses can be replaced. The memories will remain. Strip it and move on.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:49 pm

Glad to hear your ok. Sorry about your bus. Take it easy for a bit, sometimes injurys take some time to appear.

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:12 pm

Colin, words fail me. This sucks so loud I can hear it from here.

I know how you felt about that bus. But you're OK, and that's all that matters - everything else is just stuff. And you know from experience that this will look a lot different to you a year from now. Just saying it doesn't even begin to get you there, I know, but try to keep it in mind.
Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:09 am

I heard the news last night at the Lab. Colin was in a front-end auto accident. Of course driving the Road Warrior.

My heart sank imagining the worst, and those in the know milked that pause, briefly, thank you. They must have seen the look on my face, kinda one of dread, and assured me you had walked away from the melee of metal.

Nose pushed in two feet was the next dire thought to project worst possible scenarios upon. My mind contorted and concluded, someone's looking out for this guy.

I honestly next asked if Colin busted through the front windshield and landed somewhere soft.

All day I couldn't even bring myself to peruse the thread.

Errands, chores.

Dread.

So so so so so glad to hear you weren't ejected through the front windshield to land somewhere soft.

Take your time to deal with the details of the wrinkle in the previously projected time/space continuum.
neal
The slipper has no teeth.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:11 am

Nanu Nanu.

We did hoist one for your recovery Monday.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:02 am

Thank you all for your words of support. I deeply appreciate your spirits.

The autistic child in me is mourning terribly. The adult in me is waiting for him to settle down.

Quadratruckseite, you do not know how grateful I am for you and your family to offer your hospitality and support. I needed the simple grace of your beautiful family.

Bretski, you cleared the one jam that was overwhelming my addled decision-making, thank you.
Colin
(pb24ss, Westminster CO, Bretski? Is this an option?)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:53 am

Arriving late again...

Colin, I'm glad to hear you are ok. My deepest condolences re the Road Warrior. But still, you're ok, that is the most important thing.

Peaceful and calming thoughts flow your way.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

fido
Getting Hooked!

Post by fido » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:04 am

Colin. I have read and enjoyed your posts on here and on the sambs for many years. Having just read this thread I am shivering, even though its 85 degrees in my office. You have my heart-felt sympathies. I, like everyone else, am comforted that you are still on this mortal coil.

What an absolute tribute, to those VW engineers and designers that 36 years after it was built, the bus was able to protect you in what must have been a horrendous collision. Even in its final moment, it exceeded expectations once again. The love you poured into it was returned without fail.

I wish you a quick and full recovery. Very best wishes. Rob
73 Westy, 1700 auto, DRLA's, lots of guages...

hiwaycallin
Getting Hooked!

Post by hiwaycallin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:47 am

So glad you were able to walk away from this. I don't even want to think about what might have happened. I hope all the peace and calmness that seemed to have been accompanying you on your recent travels will help you deal with the stress you must now be going through.

the sage
Bus Ad Archivist

Post by the sage » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:23 pm

Colin,

I was just thinking that it's about now in the year that you visit. Last year you had just picked up the magical new bus, but kept remarking that your blue one was your main bus.

I think of how every part of that bus is so immaculate, and well maintained. Think of how many people have tinkered with that bus as you taught us how to work on ours. That bus was just as much a part of the IAC experience as you at times.

But everything changes, everything dies and you have many friends here and elsewhere who will help you make it right again.

Let me know (for one) how I can help, and I will.

Sage
1977 Sage Deluxe Campermobile

Visit VW Sage Ad World Today!

James Dwan
Getting Hooked!

Post by James Dwan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:24 pm

I just found out about this a few hours ago on the Texas Coalition of Buses email list they are just as shocked as I am.
I am profoundly saddened at the news Colin. It was a really great and immaculate Bus and you knew and appreciated it more than any insurance adjuster will be able to understand.
Hopefully things will work out the best way they can at this point.
Good luck!

If you need anything from North Texas just let me know.
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert
'59 23 Window Deluxe