Road Warrior Meets Its End . . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:04 pm

ruckman101 wrote:I heard the news last night at the Lab. Colin was in a front-end auto accident. Of course driving the Road Warrior.
Same thing here, I've had one too many beers, and Tu was a haywire.

Colin, glad to know - and see posts - that you are alive and well... However, sad to hear the Road Warrior got hit this badly. :(

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Post by Quadratrückseite » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:28 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Thank you all for your words of support. I deeply appreciate your spirits.

The autistic child in me is mourning terribly. The adult in me is waiting for him to settle down.

Quadratruckseite, you do not know how grateful I am for you and your family to offer your hospitality and support. I needed the simple grace of your beautiful family.

Bretski, you cleared the one jam that was overwhelming my addled decision-making, thank you.
Colin
(pb24ss, Westminster CO, Bretski? Is this an option?)
You are very welcome, and thank you - we loved having you (I wish it were under better circumstances). Heidi didn't want you to leave! It still amazes me that I decided to look at the forum after you left, and saw Cindy's message.

Anything you need on this end, let me know.
"The bus is the real talisman. It's the thing that runs through all of this history. It's not a thing anybody owns or controls. No matter how peeved you get with people, the bus always makes your heart jump. Everybody was attached to it."
- Ken Kesey

Steve
1978 Country Homes Camper conversion - "Gus"

http://gusthevwbus.com
http://freshandmodern.com/blog

TexasAirCooler
Getting Hooked!

Re: Road Warrior Meets Its End . . .

Post by TexasAirCooler » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:49 pm

WOW!
I seen the post on samba just minutes before I had to leave for work Thursday morning. Colin I'm sooooo glad your okay. (Not injured anymore than you are). I'm sadden also by your loss, I like that bus a lot. It is the one I looked at when I was thinking of painting mine blue.
Amskeptic wrote:I am very sad. This was a great great road car with a huge heart. I do not know what I am going to do just yet, but sleep. I am thousands of miles from anywhere.

Once again, I am left with no patience for idiots. Who passes just before the crest of a hill on a two lane road?
Colin
I have a agree with you on the idiots, the young people I see driving these days were not instructed on right away ethics and using common sence.
Terry

'65 bus • restore project

"Heroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags."

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:34 am

Oh, they understand the "right away" ethic all too well; now the right-of-way (taking others into consideration when acting) isn't always as clear to them :pukeleft:

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Shit.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Shit

Shit

Shit

CK, let us know what we can do.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Hey, I've been off the site for a while. I am so sorry to read this. I know the Road Warrior was family. I'm just glad you're OK. My thoughts are with you Colin.
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:27 pm

Sorry Colin.. our whole family is sitting here reading this now and were stunned. But so happy and thankful that you're OK. Damn shame.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

metric Cwrench
Getting Hooked!

Post by metric Cwrench » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:17 am

colin, very sorry to hear of your loss but very glad that you came out ok. material things, however valuable they might be, are never as valuable as a human being- especially one who has helped so many.

very sad i never saw the Road Warrior in person. very glad i still have the opportunity to see you in person.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:02 pm

yep, I just heard about your accident Colin. Glad you are ok!
Sorry about the blue bus as its such a loss...
Amazing but even over here in Holland the word got around!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:11 pm

Bleyseng wrote:yep, I just heard about your accident Colin. Glad you are ok!
Sorry about the blue bus as its such a loss...
Amazing but even over here in Holland the word got around!
Holland? Give Holland my regards, especially Hanneke.
Drove the BobD briefly today.
It is sooo not the same thing. Like uncomfortable spiffy new shoes when you want those comfortable broken-in sneakers that didn't mind walking in streams.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:42 am

If you can't have the Dub you want, then love the Dub you're with.
-Gypsie
-'72 Westy-

Kregol
I'm New!

Post by Kregol » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:50 pm

I just saw the photos…. You are one lucky guy. Without the story behind the photos, I would have imagined it was TKO for the driver.

If were me, I would take some time in a quiet outdoor place of your choosing and converse with your spiritual side. I imagine one could come to all sorts of interesting value judgments on life’s priorities after surviving something like that unscathed.

Maybe it would help to think of it as that bus went to the big bone yard in the sky while keeping hundreds of it's relatives on the road for one more year....

See you in Boston when it’s right for you,

Mike

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:55 pm

Kregol wrote:I just saw the photos…. You are one lucky guy.
See you in Boston when it’s right for you,
I have some more details to clear up, but it looks like I will be taking the Lexus on up to New York to get this medical regimen established and started. There are some little nagging shin splint/ankle pains and re-infecting lacerations and back/neck stuff that is not going away. I used to think that people who wailed and whined after crashes were milking insurance companies, but right now at 50 years old, my body feels differently about that. I did OK for a week getting organized and driving to Atlanta, painful but walking around! gooood enough for me. Then a tiny shard of glass caused bleeding in my ear canal via a q-tip, reminding me once again that was some kind of violent event back there in Colorado. Then the shin wound squirts out a nasty little leak. Yuck. My neck is way more immobile than it ever has been. Right ankle still swollen. All normal under the circumstances I am sure, but this body needs deep stretching by people who know how to do it.
ColinBeautifulDayNoneTheLess
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:40 am

Take care of yourself, you went thru physical and mental hell. It's going to take a while to come to grips with your new view. Just don't get all paranoid! Life is a mess.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat