Colin visits justgimmecoffee

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Colin visits justgimmecoffee

Post by justgimmecoffee » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:00 pm

Colin arrived, we got the coffee going and got down to brass tacks in short order.
Started off with a bit of conversation & the plan of attack. I am by no means a morning person, so I tried to keep up.. but he moves pretty fast.
Fueled up the the requisite caffeine, we got to work. We were lucky to discover permatex on only one valve cover. The exhaust valve on #3 was acting more like a solid lifter than hydraulic. Wouldn't bleed down. Not good. I checked the other valves while Colin pulled the lifter. Got it in a C-clamp and got it compressed while it vveerrry slooowwwly drained oil. Pulled it apart but didn't find anything unusual. Hmm..
Removed the pushrod tube that had permatex (Why? I dunno, but if you're reading this Bill, it was not a happy moment). Lifter reassembled, we reinstalled it and fired her up. LOUD! but it got quiet quick. A little clacky, but not bad. Later on during the day, sometimes it would clatter for a moment, then quiet down. Probably why all the valves had been backed off.
We tuned it as best we could considering I have no timing dial. At least until Monday or Thursday, when it will mysteriously reappear, all freshly painted ESPECIALLY WITH THE RED DOT SINCE I DON"T HAVE ANY NAIL POLISH. (Or else Guiddo... you know.)
While we were spending so much time under there, we found a few other minor exhaust leaks. Got them fixed, too. Later on, they weren't so minor- its remarkably quiet to drive now.

Buttoned her up and took her on a four block test drive. Is that gas gauge accurate? Colin asks. Lets go get gas, I said.

Spent the rest the the afternoon fixing all those little issues that never got addressed. The intermittent horn, the wipers that park upright, the off-kilter steering wheel. and Heat! Well, some semblance of it anyway.

There's a BN6 heater installed in the bus, but I have not turned it on for fear that said bus would explode. Safety interlock, Schmaftey interlock, its a spark plug thats sprayed with gas. Well, Colin took a look at it, re-attached the cables both heater flaps and we gave it a shot. Meaning he stood outside with a fire extinguisher while I turned the knob.
While the BN6 itself doesn't appear to be working, its auxiliary fan and the rest of the heater system are.. meaning I"ll be able to drive the bus past October. Sweet.

Got all squared away and gave him directions to the freeway. I wanted to shout "Shane! Come Back!! " as he left, but I didn't.

This morning, I got up and continued with the cleaning. Got the glove box back in, cleaned out all the extra tools and camping leftovers and took her for a spin. Yow, what a difference! There used to be a flat spot at ten mph that made her stumble... gone. Took her up Sylvan hill here in Portland and she tore upstairs. Its like having a new bus.

Thank you Colin.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:12 pm

:cheers: Sounds like a great day, Barry!
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:45 pm

Barry,

I had an inoperative BN6 too. I replaced it with HVAC 4" insulated duct and now the heat is much better. I think the BN6 acted like a big rusty heat sink. I have some ducting left over if'n you'd be interested.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:51 pm

Barryh, What a difference a day makes :cheers:
-'72 Westy-

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:58 am

And then it was jmiller and this morning it is dhoch14 and I am wearing down like a pencil stuck in an electric sharpener. I MUST give the Portland contingent twice as much time next year. Want to do a LuckyLab when I come back through on July 5th and 6th! Hambone! Must visit you at your abode. Purdman82, must get you to the Lucky Lab to meet the Portland gang!
Colinontherun
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:37 am

See??!??! SEEE???
We are a cash cow.
Hope to see you after Seattle.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:57 pm

hambone wrote:See??!??! SEEE???
We are a cash cow.
Hope to see you after Seattle.
Can I stop by in the early evening of July 4th or perhaps after Misszora on the 5th?

Either way:

The Itinerant Air-Cooled Itinerant Requests Alls Youses Company at the Lucky Lab @ Quimby on the Sixth Day of July in the 2009th Year of Our Lord At 7:00 O'Clock Post Meridian
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

Post by Maz804 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:32 pm

I'll be there... with Wendy!
:cheers:
"I love the curves man... Early Bays got the curves..."

1970 Riviera: Ramona
1969 Safare Camper: Lucy - reduced to parts
1971 Deluxe Transporter: Miles - sold
1963 Bug - sold
1973 Squareback - sold
1979 Westfalia - sold
1967 Bug - sold
1971 Westfalia - sold

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:59 am

Maz804 wrote:I'll be there... with Wendy!
:cheers:
love it dude!
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:21 am

It is nicely painted and ready to be installed in your bus. Sorry I had it when you needed it.

Safe travels to K-falls, Bradda.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:06 pm

Up on the mountain, but planning to be at the Lab Monday, 7/6.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.