Hey RussellK....

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

zblair
The Zster

Hey RussellK....

Post by zblair » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:09 am

Are you gonna post about your visit with Colin?
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:10 am

Stay tuned......

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:16 pm

Well he came, he saw, he instructed, he ingested a frightening amount of caffeine, and onward he went into the night.

First I would encourage anyone that hasn't to take advantage of what Colin is offering. It is time well spent. You will enjoy your day. You will absorb.
Now the report... As some know the bus hasn't run in quite a while. I charged up the battery and while waiting my 18 year old Danny convinced me (another character flaw is I listen to 18 year olds) to go ahead and start the bus and see what happens. It fired right up! And smoked badly from dripping Mystery Oil in the cylynder prior to starting. Colin walked in the midst of all the smoke and noise and noticed immediately I had a bent wheel. Later Martha asks "Does he just have eyes that catch everything?" We sat at the table over coffee and Colin drew diagrams and explained the valves etc. Then we set out to adjust valves. It was the first time I had done them and we learned my exhaust valves were quite tight in all four cylinders. Now adjusted correctly we can only wonder if the PO was dyslexic or if he had a mechanic with a mean streak.. We moved right along to firing and ignition. The engine was only running on 3 cylinders due to a fouled plug (mystery oil!) and I also learned I have resistor wires and maybe resistor plugs. Thats a lot of resistance. Gotta correct that soon. Then fuel injection demystified. I have read threads here and TS and never understood what was going on with the fuel injection. Still don't. But now I have a better understanding and notes to refer to. Now when I hear that someone adjusted the wiper in their fuel injection I know what they are talking about. Getting ready for our test drive, we knew the clutch was funky and adjusted it as well as we could. I was pleased just to have the bus on the street and my hope that the bus ran was met. Brakes worked too. Spongy but functioning. The steering is way too stiff.
Came back from the test drive and worked on steering alignment and centering the steering wheel. I may have to drive with stiff steering for a while and see if the ball joints loosen up if not I will have to address that. The cluch is the biggest disappointment. When I installed it I missed something and it sticks big time. The engine has to come out to correct it. Thats okay though. When the engine is out I'll take advantage of the chance to clean off the undercoat from the engine compartment.

Confession time. I feel really bad about this. I have a bit of an attention problem. While we were eating lunch Colin was sitting with his back to our sun porch window. Behind his head is a hummingbird feeder. While he was drawing and talking, hummingbirds were flying about the top of his head. Their antics were a distraction and I couldn't figure out how to say exccooose but did you know there are hummingbirds behind you? I confess I checked out for awhile. It showed later on the test. Sorry Colin.

I also learned I don't tighten things enough and I don't grease them enough.

Another story. Today at lunch I was asking Danny a question about cars and he said "I don't know why don't you ask Colin" I took that as a smart aleck comment and called him on it. He said "No really. Ask him I'll bet he knows" Now thats a testimonial. When you can impress an 18 year old....

Next year. Engine rebuild.