He's headed toward St Louie! I can feel the vibe.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RussellK
IAC Addict!

He's headed toward St Louie! I can feel the vibe.

Post by RussellK » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:55 am

We are working feverishly toward getting the bus ready to make it's first time out of the garage in three years. Think of it! After 2 years of sitting in the driver's seat making motor noises my assistant and son Danny and I will be hearing the engine purr.

We bought the bus 4 years ago to camp with. My wife saw pictures of a bus on fire and said "Change those hoses" One thing led to another and the next thing you know the bus was gutted and dismantled and sent to a body shop for a year as a shell. It came back pretty and we have been reassembling for almost 2 years. The trouble is because the bus wasn't running we couldn't ever test the work we did so I know there will be tweaking to be done.

I'm optimistic that with Colin's help we can start the bus and at least run it around the block a few times. Maybe get some adjustments.

zblair
The Zster

Re: He's headed toward St Louie! I can feel the vibe.

Post by zblair » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:07 am

RussellK wrote:We are working feverishly toward getting the bus ready to make it's first time out of the garage in three years. Think of it! After 2 years of sitting in the driver's seat making motor noises my assistant and son Danny and I will be hearing the engine purr.
How wonderful for you and your son! There is little comparison to the joy we felt when Phred woke up from his similar sleep to be driven again! Our journey was a bit longer having purchased him in 2001, but the end result was just as glorious as yours will be Russ!
RussellK wrote:We bought the bus 4 years ago to camp with. My wife saw pictures of a bus on fire and said "Change those hoses" One thing led to another and the next thing you know the bus was gutted and dismantled and sent to a body shop for a year as a shell. It came back pretty and we have been reassembling for almost 2 years. The trouble is because the bus wasn't running we couldn't ever test the work we did so I know there will be tweaking to be done.
WOW! Were they actual pictures or mind images?
RussellK wrote:I'm optimistic that with Colin's help we can start the bus and at least run it around the block a few times. Maybe get some adjustments.
I have faith that our trusted Itinerant Scissorhands will do his best to shift you to your next available VW paradigm. Since you have desire but no high expectations, it will be most interesting to see how things fare for you. Eat your Wheaties and get some fitful rest. You're gonna need every minute of it. :flower:
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:47 am

While it was satchmo and not Colin that presided over the end of my bus' 30-odd year sleep, the experience was memorable. The sounds! The smells! :cheers:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:11 am

Russell, I didn't realize you have done so much to your bus, or that it hasn't been running. You are very patient. It's going to be very, very nice. What fun!
glasseye wrote:While it was satchmo and not Colin that presided over the end of my bus' 30-odd year sleep, the experience was memorable. The sounds! The smells! :cheers:
I still love that story! Totally cool.

Z~ here is a link to bus fire stories on that other site.
71 bus, 74 westy

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:15 am

Thanks Birdi, I'll have to check that out. We've got a fire story of our own actually.
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

~Roshni Mitra

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:25 am

Birdibus wrote:Russell, I didn't realize you have done so much to your bus, or that it hasn't been running. You are very patient. It's going to be very, very nice. What fun!
My biggest regret is we didn't take pictures. The bus has been extremely therapeutic for me. I work in an office in front of a computer all day at a job that is completely against my nature. I have an artist's mind and nature in a highly competitive business environment. I'm a peacenik dropout among MBA's. I go into the garage and immerse myself and it all goes away.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:35 am

Hmmm you and I have a lot in common...
I'm struggling so much with this. How does one follow their heart and "true way" but still survive in this society? I does seem to come down to point of view, but I don't quite understand it completely. Yes, we can smile at a rude person and transform their hostility into flowers..but a crap sandwich doesn't have much hope as a tasy treat. Certain transformations seem to take longer.
Zen and VWs, yes it all keeps me sane too. Sometimes insane!
I guess it's like my quote says, you really have to lose your grip.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:06 am

hambone wrote:Hmmm you and I have a lot in common...
I'm struggling so much with this. How does one follow their heart and "true way" but still survive in this society? I does seem to come down to point of view, but I don't quite understand it completely. Yes, we can smile at a rude person and transform their hostility into flowers..but a crap sandwich doesn't have much hope as a tasy treat. Certain transformations seem to take longer.
IMHO the short answer is in action.

That is where the separation can occur or where one can become whole. Like Yoda said, "there is no try only do." Also through a sharpening of focus in conjunction with action taken.

Having escapes to calm our personal world is essential.
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

~Roshni Mitra

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:10 am

Off the track a little. How do I send a PM? After composing is there a send button? I have one that seems to be stuck in the outbox.

hambone

Post by hambone » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:16 am

Ooop! Sorry, just thought your sentiment was interesting and I wanted to expound on it a bit.
Go to NEW POST, and there is a submit button below.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:19 am

It will sit in the outbox until the recipient logs onto the site. Then, it will move from your outbox to the Sentbox.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:44 am

hambone wrote:Ooop! Sorry, just thought your sentiment was interesting and I wanted to expound on it a bit.
Go to NEW POST, and there is a submit button below.
No no no. I'm good with the ebb and flow. Just didn't know how the PM thing works and saw one just sitting there.

We square pegs have to learn to accept that we will never quite fit and that it's okay

hambone

Post by hambone » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:48 am

No problem you were right so I created a new thread under Free Speeeeech.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:50 am

Awright awright awright awready, it should be a "sent" now.
Recipient :flower:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles