IAC Visit in San Diego 02-16-08

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

MConverse
Getting Hooked!

IAC Visit in San Diego 02-16-08

Post by MConverse » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:19 pm

Colin was in the neighborhood so I had him stop by for a 1/2 day visit. I bought a new Berg shifter and wanted his help installing it.

As most of you know, with Colin, you call him for one small thing, and next thing you know, 5 other issues have been resolved. It was a short day, but we managed to cover quite a bit.

Checked Valve Adjustments (I wasn't the greatest student last time, so I wanted a re-fresher) Basically, I had him watch me and make sure I knew what I was doing. All in all, went well, and my valves were still at .006

We removed the Distributor, took it apart and cleaned it out, ensure the Compufire was installed correctly, and the weights and springs were in good shape. ( I had a problem with high idle and I thought maybe the weights/springs were not working properly)

Re-Indexed the distributor drive gear (was a touch off before)

Turns out my WOT timing was a touch off, set that and magically fixed my idle.

I had a mechanic install brand new (german) brake pads and new (german) rotors a few months ago, and they were squealing terribly. Turns out they had no shims in them, and one of the brake caliper pistons was pointed the wrong way (opening towards the back vs front of brake) so Colin showed me how to fix that.

And last but not least - we installed the new shifter. For those of you that have some cash to spare (tax return etc) I highly recommend a Berg shifter. It has a solid feel, shorter throw, the handle is at just the right position (not too high, not too low) and solid shift points. Definitely worth the money. (and I don't say that lightly, they are *not* inexpensive)

I'm sure we covered more stuff, but this was the highlights, and all inside of 1/2 day.

Colin, Once again, Thank you! Without your tutelage, My bus would not be as reliable, or efficient. You are a asset to this community.

Mike

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: IAC Visit in San Diego 02-16-08

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:32 pm

MConverse wrote:
one of the brake caliper pistons was pointed the wrong way (opening towards the back vs front of brake) so Colin showed me how to fix that.

Berg shifter has a solid feel, shorter throw, the handle is at just the right position (not too high, not too low) and solid shift points. Definitely worth the money. (and I don't say that lightly, they are *not* inexpensive)

I'm sure we covered more stuff, but this was the highlights, and all inside of 1/2 day.

Colin, Once again, Thank you! Without your tutelage, My bus would not be as reliable, or efficient. You are a asset to this community.
Thank-you for your-r-r-r-r- too kind wor-r-r-r-ds.
For the vast reading audience, the pistons that push the pads have cut-outs to make sure that the trailing edge of the pads hit the disk before the leading edge of the pads. This helps prevent squeaks. The shims keep the pistons oriented correctly by way of little tabs.

The engine in MConverse's bus is one of the most willing peppy Type 4 engines I have run across. This year was a great improvement in road manners over last year. . . .

. . . . and the drug-moderated face of pain sitting on the bumper of the medieval German torture rack.. . .

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:16 pm

wow Colin's even wearing a full length paired of slacks. ha!

just kidding.
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:11 am

Hah!

I don't think I would have recognized him without the tank top and shorts.

And I'm not kidding.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:03 pm

I hafta agree about that Berg shifter one of the best mods I've done to my bus.... =D>
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:27 pm

MConverse wrote:And last but not least - we installed the new shifter. For those of you that have some cash to spare (tax return etc) I highly recommend a Berg shifter. It has a solid feel, shorter throw, the handle is at just the right position (not too high, not too low) and solid shift points. Definitely worth the money. (and I don't say that lightly, they are *not* inexpensive)
Mike
I need something, as Colin recalls from October. Do tell MC, in ballpark terms how much is that shifter? Will it make me weep?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

MConverse
Getting Hooked!

Post by MConverse » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:40 pm

Sylvester wrote: I need something, as Colin recalls from October. Do tell MC, in ballpark terms how much is that shifter? Will it make me weep?

http://www.geneberg.com/product_info.ph ... ts_id=1194

242.84 + tax and shipping...

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:30 pm

I can hear the kitty crying from here.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:57 am

Bookwus wrote:I can hear the kitty crying from here.
Yes you do, holy crap!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.