Marengo Ridge - Chicagoland Spring Out!

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Mon May 03, 2010 1:40 pm

I am sorry we missed camping with you guys....maybe next time.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Mon May 03, 2010 1:49 pm

Looks like a pretty spot. Next time. I miss early spring and summer camping. I will be doing something extempore before this month's out. Maybe Michigan U.P.. I will try to post a few pics of the Au ki ki wetland along the Kankakee:
Horse-shoe Bend road: Image
Camp on River:
The area is wildlife rich. Been so for centuries. Great history around there too. There's "Bogus Island" which you can still see, but it's no longer an island. Counterfeiters, Horse Thieves, Murderers and Businessmen lived on the island in the middle of a swamp basically. There's special wooden craft that originated in the area called "Kankakee Boats", kind of a cross between a rowboat and a kayak. Still great hunting and fishing there.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon May 03, 2010 7:20 pm

turk wrote: Image
Hey that's me! WTF is on my head? Must be my old man flap hat.

I wish we'd stopped an hung with those squatters that were living by the river, right outside that guy's property. I guess we don't have public land, but there is a something, something where you can find a place to live if you need it...

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Mon May 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Let's go visit that dude. He'll still be there. He's been there a while already.
It's free I heard.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue May 04, 2010 8:04 pm

turk wrote:Let's go visit that dude. He'll still be there. He's been there a while already.
It's free I heard.
You say when. You have the big work load and what not...

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue May 04, 2010 8:25 pm

hambone wrote:Doubletrack abandoned rail line that used to be the lifeblood of the region. NYC? Who knows. Gone. Imagine the work and history to plan and impliment such a useful marvel of techology, a thin strip bisecting maps and neighborhoods due to some folly of the past.
I find the decay of the region fascinating. Lots of history.

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Fri May 07, 2010 8:50 pm

It was good to see you again chi. Marengo Ridge is a nice, quiet place to stay. We thought about going back out this weekend, but it will be a little too cold.

I'm a little late posting...

Marengo Ridge (May 2010)

1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat May 08, 2010 5:42 am

The wild Dingo had stalked his prey, and was about to attack.

That looks like a nice place to camp.[/quote]
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sat May 08, 2010 5:01 pm

Nice photos. That looks to be an American Toad.
American toads can be distinguished from other species of toads by the presence of several dark spots on their backs which contain only one or two warts each. These black spots are sometimes circled with white or yellow. Some types of American toads have a prominent ridge on the top of their heads.
American Toad - Bufo americanus

I think that's Common Blue Violets - Viola sororia sororia

Unpredictable spring this year which is predictable. It was colder than a witches tit today. It hailed too.

jeb1978
Getting Hooked!

Post by jeb1978 » Sat May 08, 2010 5:40 pm

chitwnvw wrote:
hambone wrote:Doubletrack abandoned rail line that used to be the lifeblood of the region. NYC? Who knows. Gone. Imagine the work and history to plan and impliment such a useful marvel of techology, a thin strip bisecting maps and neighborhoods due to some folly of the past.
I find the decay of the region fascinating. Lots of history.
It's probably the old Pennsylvania Railroad or Erie Railroad... both had doubletrack mainlines that crossed the Kankakee (the PRR's Panhandle line from Chicago to Logansport, and the Erie's mainline from Chicago to the east coast).

Where were you camping on the Kankakee? It looks like both the old PRR and Erie bridges are still there over the Kankakee northeast of North Judson. Was there another RR bridge with tracks on it near the one in your photos?
1969 Westfalia 1600cc single port

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sat May 08, 2010 6:09 pm

I don't know if a few miles is near, but there is at least another - near "English Lake". That campground is a mile or so east of highway 421 near "Lomax". Lomax is not even a town if I am right. It's an abandoned bed and breakfast, for sale actually. That's right about where those tracks in the picture are.

jeb1978
Getting Hooked!

Post by jeb1978 » Sun May 09, 2010 7:12 am

turk wrote:I don't know if a few miles is near, but there is at least another - near "English Lake". That campground is a mile or so east of highway 421 near "Lomax". Lomax is not even a town if I am right. It's an abandoned bed and breakfast, for sale actually. That's right about where those tracks in the picture are.
OK, the abandoned bridge nearest US 421 is the old Erie RR, the one further east near English Lake has an abandoned Pennyslvania RR bridge night next to a still active line owned by the Chesapeake & Indiana (old Chesapeake & Ohio RR). Lots and Lots of old railroad ROW in northern Indiana...

You can see the farm with the old school buses, etc. in the yard pretty plainly from Google earth... I didn't know there were campgrounds along the Kankakee River.
1969 Westfalia 1600cc single port

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Sun May 09, 2010 8:02 am

Great pictures, CrazyCheese!
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sun May 09, 2010 9:25 am

Bartoli wrote:
turk wrote:I don't know if a few miles is near, but there is at least another - near "English Lake". That campground is a mile or so east of highway 421 near "Lomax". Lomax is not even a town if I am right. It's an abandoned bed and breakfast, for sale actually. That's right about where those tracks in the picture are.
OK, the abandoned bridge nearest US 421 is the old Erie RR, the one further east near English Lake has an abandoned Pennyslvania RR bridge night next to a still active line owned by the Chesapeake & Indiana (old Chesapeake & Ohio RR). Lots and Lots of old railroad ROW in northern Indiana...

You can see the farm with the old school buses, etc. in the yard pretty plainly from Google earth... I didn't know there were campgrounds along the Kankakee River.

The campground is private. It is owned by a farmer. You put 2 dollars in the box to "use the road" leading to the campground.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun May 09, 2010 5:39 pm

turk wrote:The campground is private. It is owned by a farmer. You put 2 dollars in the box to "use the road" leading to the campground.
Best kind of places. I really wish I could have gone with you guys. What an awesome place with all that history.