Oregon Country Fair

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Oregon Country Fair

Post by grandfatherjim » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:42 pm

There is a chance we will make a cross-country camping trip this summer to the west coast, for the wedding of a friend's son. (If we can't pull it off I guess we'll fly...depends on how well this new "self-employment" takes off...I may have money, or I may have time, or maybe both, or maybe neither).
So, once at the west coast there are things to do. I know there are a lot of people on here from Oregon, so thought I could get some input on the Oregon Country Fair.
Pros/cons?
It looks like our kind of thing but I see there is no camping right at it.
Recommendations for camping nearby? Is there somewhere that attendees usually go to camp?
And, anyone on here own the 72 right near the beginning of this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIq22_KaTpk

I like the paint job.
Jim

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:50 pm

jim, i have a half acre along the small, hardly used park in eugene that has a pit fire and organic market one block away. you'd hardly know you're in town. stay here no charge and enjoy. come early, stay late, shop for vw parts. i have a sunroof riviera i roll around for guests without tents placed 15 feet from the pit fire. day parking at ocf is up to seven clams a day though free buses do shuttle folks all day and night. bet you'd meet a lot of interesting people in those lines. you should come and encourage the rest of the iac to join. last year's fair was fun. the real fair happens when the crowds leave at 7pm. the midnight shows are legendary. but you gotta have a wristband. perhaps look into volunteering or hitch up with a fair crew asap. catch up on baby gramps, royal famille du caniveaux, chris chandler, jim page. main stage had the billy kreutzmann band last year which was a mighty good rip, three years in a row for him. big pro is the wood fired sauna called the ritz, and the other is trust and safety.. we let our kids run wild there.

cons? after 15 years, no. the worst is some years we go once during the weekend. camping can be had, there is lots. i never camped because at night the skeeters come out and its usually not in my budget living as close [16.4 miles] as i do. plus, i'd rather have my fire and decompress at this old age at home.