Book or a guide to living on the road?

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

werksberg
Old School!

Book or a guide to living on the road?

Post by werksberg » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:38 am

Does anyone have a suggestion for a books or guides on "how to live on the road"?

I'm looking (already working on it) to within 2 to 3 years to sell everything (I'm 55 now and done with Calif. rat race) and just load up my '87 Suncrest 27' RV (fully rebuild it now with new adminatees, tech stuff in there or maybe replace it with something newer...as the RV has been sitting 10 years now with only 20,000 miles on it) with a car (or trailer) in tow and take off for good.

If I find a nice place to stay for awhile, find a job and hang out.

I'm planning to get a phone # book to use the alpha tabs for places I want to visit, stay or live for a while to keep records of them now. Also with dates best to be there too.....Like Bonneville during speed weeks.

But I was just wondering if there some reading material I should be doing now to better prepare for that journey.

Like where to place the money to pull from while on the road? In stocks, banking account, CD's or IRA but easy to get at each month? And how to handle any bills....I guess get all of them online.

Satellite TV on the RV? But what about WIFI for internet? I guess also satellite enable internet too?

Maybe buy a little place in the center of the country and use that as a home base....?

So how do you do it Colin?

Pros & cons of doing this?

Any really great roads / places not to miss?
Facebook for new product releases and special deals: Werks Berg
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
SOS: Support Our Shops....
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:15 am

I don't know about a book, but I'll bet each man's trip will be different. Me, I'd be hitting all the free camp places like national forests and wilderness areas. I'd also do it cheap cheap and live light. It's all a matter of what you hope to achieve while out and about. Once you figure that out, you build a life around the framework.
Mexico? That would be a blast! But you also have a biz.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:55 am

When I was last at a KOA a retired couple traveled around to KOAs working as managers/helpers during the busy season in exchange for free hookups and space.
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:00 am

Please finish the baywindow front door panels before you go! Otherwise it sounds like a cool plan.

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:01 pm

Werks, try this:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=s ... n+a+camper

Good luck with the dream - it's easier than you think and more fun than you can ever imagine!!

as Mark Twain said, "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:42 pm

Thank you for the tips and ideas all....

Hambone: I'll will be selling the house and I hope the business too, but....if not, give the business to a VW friend to run.

Manfred- That is a good idea about the KOA and I might check into the Elks lodge too as they also let members camp at their parking lots too.

Chitwnvw: They are done for the std. holes and lower vent (just not posted anywhere yet as I have another major project going on since I now have a partner in it... =D> ) and I have upgraded the fasteners too...but at more money.

Midatlanticys- I just looked at the list and ordered 3x books!
I'm going to copy that slogan and print it out as a mata.....(Is that spelled right?)!

Thanks again, JM.
Facebook for new product releases and special deals: Werks Berg
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
SOS: Support Our Shops....
werksberg@sbcglobal.net