Bayfield, Wi

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

yondermtn
Old School!

Bayfield, Wi

Post by yondermtn » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:32 am

We just completed our first lengthy trip in our bus since we got her last November. About 1100 miles round trip. Chicago to Bayfield, Wi and home.

Days before we were to depart the bus decided she didn't want to start. Did some troubleshooting and it seemed like a bad ignition switch. Called everywhere and finally found one at a FLAPS. Installed it pretty easily and bingo, started right up. Next, the turn signals crapped out. New flasher and that was fixed(5mins. before departure)

The bus did great the entire time. The only issue she had was a fast idle usually after running at highway speeds. The engine just didn't want to return to a normal idle speed. Something I need to look into. We got about 18mpgs and cruised at 65-70mph. Got lots of compliments and thumbs up. Also saw about 4 other bays and a few vanagons.

Some pics:
Ready to depart

Lena resting after a long drive to Bayfield.

1st campsite at Big Rock Campground.

Campsite on shores of Lake Superior.

Friends

Madeline Island

1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:51 am

That looks awesome! I'll have to check that out sometime.

Fast idle is probably due to vacuum leak. When you set your idle when the engine is cold, you get a different idle when the engine is warm. Try setting your idle when the engine is warm and see what happens. It will probably idle rough when the engine is cold, but then smooth out.

To find a vacuum leak, try spraying carb cleaner on your vacuum connections and see if you idle changes. If it does you have a vacuum leak there. If you have FI check out ratwell's site for a vacuum hose diagram. http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html

I tell you this from atop the shoulders of the VW giants that live on this site. Their patience and knowledge has helped me out in this matter.
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:39 am

Nice Yonder! I've camped at the Big Rock Campground with my wife (then girlfriend) in my old '74 bug. It's been a while since we've been back though. How much is the ferry ride these days? Did you take any pix with your bus on the ferry to Madeline?

Did you meet Misty, the owner of the Soulshine of the North Yellow bus?We bought a hula-hoop for a kids from her. Here's some pix of her bus that I took at this year's Big Wu Family Reunion. Small world, huh?

[albumimg]2758[/albumimg]
[albumimg]2759[/albumimg]
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:01 pm

We stumbled upon Big Rock after finding most of the campgrounds full or not to our liking. It's a hidden gem. We were pretty tired that night and decided it was too late to start a fire so we sat around the ole citronella candle. Then things started falling from the trees. They got more frequent and closer, eventually hitting our chairs. Acorns. My girlfriend was freaked at this point and I had to reassure her it wasn't the "hill people". She didn't want to stay a second night so we found a new place which turned out to be great.

We didn't talk to Misty, but did exchange horn beeps and waves as we drove away.
How was the Wu Reunion? I need to get back to Harmony Park, it's been several years now. I love that place.

The ferry was $11.50 per person. We just went for the day and rented bikes. Didn't take the bus. Vehicles cost $24. The camping on Madeline looked good and we'll probably camp there next time.

Here are a few more pics:

Big Lake Campground outside Boulder Junction, Wi. We drove thru to scout out for future trips. It's nice.

Lots of berry farms near Bayfield. We picked these in about an hour.

On the shores of Trout Lake. South of Boulder Junction checking out a campground.

The ferry to Madeline Island
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:39 pm

I’m not familiar with Big Rock, but it looks beautiful!!! I'm glad you had a safe trip.
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:54 pm

sweet trip. We may be heading to that general area in a few weeks.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia