6 days on the road... Oregon Coast

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

6 days on the road... Oregon Coast

Post by Maz804 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:29 pm

Howdy folks!
Been away from the forum awhile... AND the Lucky Lab... Hope to see you guys tonight.
Anyway...
I just returned from a trip to the Oregon coast and had a wonderful time! My brother had a bachelor party at Seaside and then I heard on the news that it was going to break 100 degrees in Portland! I wasn't goin' back... It was time to take my spiritual journey and re-evaluate what's important in my life now that my girlfriend of 5 years left me, nearly 9 months ago.
And document it.
So, on a whim, I decided to hit the safeway and stock up on what I didn't already have with me. After loading up simple food to sustain me through out the week, I hit Quiznos for a sandwich, a smart thing to do. I don't really like their sandwiches, BUT, you can take jalapenos, mustard, horseradish, peppercinis, pickles and store them each in a good sized container that will last one person a week! Condiments: check!
I didn't cruise up and down the coast to all the places I wanted to see, mostly because I met some incredible people and spent time with them instead. There's an advantage to having served in the military... I was able to go into the private American Legion clubs up and down the coast and meet good folks, play music, and as long as I was telling stories about being a photojournalist in the Navy, they'd buy my drinks ALL NIGHT LONG! I even met a feller named Gary in Canon Beach, a fiddle player of 50 years. He'd heard of my dads band Blue Moon Highway and we hit it off great! He offered to let me park at his place (level ground) and use his kitchen and bathroom anytime I needed it, and anytime I'm EVER in town. Thanks Gary!

In Astoria I checked out the Flavel House and of course, the Goonies house... Something I've always wanted to do since I was a kid...
:bounce:
I also went and explored Ft Clatsop and the Lewis and Clark Museum as well as the Peter Iredale shipwreck in Warrenton, which I have photos of (remember film?), but they haven't been processed yet.

My dog Wendy had never been to the Oregon coast and she absolutely LOVED IT!

I brought my DSLR Nikon D50, SLR Canon FTb QL, and a medium format Mamiya m645. I have yet to process all the images because 2 35mm rolls went missing but later found... AND it's hard to find someone that will process 120! But here are a few from the digital and some from the 35mm.
I hope you guys enjoy them. I had an absolute blast on this journey!
Thanks!
Michael

"I love the curves man... Early Bays got the curves..."

1970 Riviera: Ramona
1969 Safare Camper: Lucy - reduced to parts
1971 Deluxe Transporter: Miles - sold
1963 Bug - sold
1973 Squareback - sold
1979 Westfalia - sold
1967 Bug - sold
1971 Westfalia - sold

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:40 pm

Wow! Those are some amazing pictures. Thanks for the write up. I loved your condiments trick. I'll need to try that one. Sorry to hear about your gal. You are better off. And there are plenty of fish in the sea for a good looking guy with a bus. Chick dig the bus. Trust me. I know this.

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:56 pm

good to here from you see you at the lab tonight .. brother getting married? more info please? thanks for the pictures :pirate:
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:01 pm

awesome stuff dude. I've always wanted to do a trip like this.
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

Post by Maz804 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:05 pm

Kirk, not the brother you think it is... This is the other brother Sean and his marriage is destined for failure... He chooses not to face the reality of it all i.e. she's a controlling b!tch and he WILL end up unhappy. But alas, we all must learn in some form or another. I know I'M in NO HURRY! ;)
Manfred says there are fish 'o plenty in the seas... mmm... I like phish! Right Dave?
;)

1963 Bug - sold
1973 Squareback - sold
1979 Westfalia - sold
1967 Bug - sold
1971 Westfalia - sold

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:06 pm

Maz804 wrote:Kirk, not the brother you think it is... This is the other brother Sean and his marriage is destined for failure... He chooses not to face the reality of it all i.e. she's a controlling b!tch and he WILL end up unhappy. But alas, we all must learn in some form or another. I know I'M in NO HURRY! ;)
Manfred says there are fish 'o plenty in the seas... mmm... I like phish! Right Dave?
;)
well played kind sir. And I can't agree enough, plenty of women out there. That's for sure!
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:30 pm

Wendy is all the girl you need. Loyal, playful and beautiful! The rest will happen when it's time.

Beautiful pics! Thanks again for sharing!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:43 pm

Great story and pix! :cheers: I love the night shot of all the campfires on the beach. I agree with dtrumbo, Wendy's gal enough. At least for now.

Keep the stories and images coming. =D>
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:32 am

Those are some great pictures! And a cool story!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:46 am

You take beautiful photos there brother. Thanks for posting and narrating!

=D>
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:24 pm

Michael, you truly have a gift for taking pictures. Wow. Thanks for sharing and please post some photos from your other rolls of film. I dig it.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:29 pm

I just had to throw this line in from the song, my favorite part!

I got ten forward gears,
And a Georgia overdrive.
I'm taking little white pills,
And my eyes are open wide.
I just passed a 'Jimmy' and a 'White':
I've been passin' everything in sight.
Six days on the road and I'm gonna make it home tonight.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

Post by Maz804 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:57 pm

=D>
Yeah man, I really like the Steve Earle and Burritos Bros versions of that song!
I'm totally an Alt-Hippy-Country music lover... As a dabbler in pedal steel, my main influences are Buddy Cage from New Riders of the Purple Sage, and Sneaky Pete from the Flying Burrito Brothers. And then there's Lloyd Green and Jay Dee Maness with sweet country sounding steel licks... I'll be learning on that instrument the rest of my life!

1963 Bug - sold
1973 Squareback - sold
1979 Westfalia - sold
1967 Bug - sold
1971 Westfalia - sold