Trip Report: San Juan Islands

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dhoch14
Old School!

Trip Report: San Juan Islands

Post by dhoch14 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:46 am

better late than never, buuuuuuuuuut we headed up to Orca Island, WA in mid June and I figured I would share the bus photos.

600 miles round trip with a rusting exhaust and some backasswards settings on the dual carbs. We made it, just very very very slow.

This was my first major bus road trip, let alone, my first major bus trip with the new(er) girlfriend. I learned a lot about my bus during this long trip, not to mention it was great to have some bonding time with the dogs + gf.

fyi- the full gallery is here: http://picasaweb.google.com/dhoch14/San ... directlink

Loaded up and ready to go!

Dogs sleeping the WHOLE WAY!

Obstruction Pass State Park for some beach hiking!

Camp Grounds:

Family shot:

The dogs are all smiles!

We actually made it the whole trip and I was proud!

View from the ferry
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:52 pm

Bassassbackwards setting on the carbs? In what way?

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:33 pm

Xelmon wrote:Bassassbackwards setting on the carbs? In what way?
mixtures were super rich and the central idling circuit was super lean (or on vacation as Colin put it). should be the other away around.
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:26 pm

Hey Dave did you guys stay at Obstruction Pass? We were going to drive down there but never did. How is the CG? We just got back from Orcas and Lopez on Sunday. Third year in a row. Love it up there. We stayed at Moran in the Midway CG. Loud, screaming kids drove us nuts. I think we're going to skip Orcas next year and go back to the county park on San Juan. We got the best spot at Lopez though. Right on the water. I'll post a report once I get through all the pics.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

AirCooledNut
Getting Hooked!

Post by AirCooledNut » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:34 pm

Cool, thanks for posting! I'll have to show my [new] fiancé the pictures. I'd love to camp there simply for the opportunity to put the Bus on a ferry :geek:
Toby http://www.aircoolednut.com/
Did I mention that I'm an original Darksider?
DDB Forum
'72 VW Squareback, 2007cc, GB 5-speed, rag top; '76 VW Riviera Sundowner; '95 VW Jetta GL, Solo II EP; '81 Goldwing 1100
http://www.frappr.com/type3volkswagenowners & http://www.type3registry.com/

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:24 pm

Dhoch, that looks like a fun time - how do you manage three dogs on a camping trip?? Our one dog is just about too much to handle.

I remember riding the ferry to Victoria - the bus was parked right on the outermost lane and my daughter and I were laying in the back of the bus looking out the window at the water and islands going by. A fond memory of mine.

AirCooledNut wrote:Cool, thanks for posting! I'll have to show my [new] fiancé the pictures. I'd love to camp there simply for the opportunity to put the Bus on a ferry :geek:
Toby, CONGRATS on the engagement :cheers:
-'72 Westy-

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:29 am

Oregon72 wrote:I remember riding the ferry to Victoria - the bus was parked right on the outermost lane and my daughter and I were laying in the back of the bus looking out the window at the water and islands going by. A fond memory of mine.
that's one of my things to do in nw washington. off to the side, slider open, cold beer, moving along on a ship.