Questions for the experts

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:19 am

We took peanut butter jars, drilled air holes in the lids and threaded a shoelace so they could be hung around their necks. The kids used them for camping pets. Toads, grasshoppers, caterpillars.....or favorite rocks. We have dozens of camping photos and I don't think there are any without those jars hanging from the boys necks.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:57 am

That's sweet. Kids are so excited about life. Makes me want to hug them all.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

AirCooledNut
Getting Hooked!

Post by AirCooledNut » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:02 am

RussellK wrote:We took peanut butter jars, drilled air holes in the lids and threaded a shoelace so they could be hung around their necks. The kids used them for camping pets. Toads, grasshoppers, caterpillars.....or favorite rocks. We have dozens of camping photos and I don't think there are any without those jars hanging from the boys necks.
That is a wonderful idea...except my kids would figure out that they could use 'em as a way to hit each other :blackeye: Mebe I'll use the plastic ones :thumbright:
Toby http://www.aircoolednut.com/
Did I mention that I'm an original Darksider?
DDB Forum
'72 VW Squareback, 2007cc, GB 5-speed, rag top; '76 VW Riviera Sundowner; '95 VW Jetta GL, Solo II EP; '81 Goldwing 1100
http://www.frappr.com/type3volkswagenowners & http://www.type3registry.com/

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:59 am

AirCooledNut wrote:
RussellK wrote:We took peanut butter jars, drilled air holes in the lids and threaded a shoelace so they could be hung around their necks. The kids used them for camping pets. Toads, grasshoppers, caterpillars.....or favorite rocks. We have dozens of camping photos and I don't think there are any without those jars hanging from the boys necks.
That is a wonderful idea...except my kids would figure out that they could use 'em as a way to hit each other :blackeye: Mebe I'll use the plastic ones :thumbright:
Definitely the plastic ones!

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:50 am

That's a good idea--except for the toad part. I'm terrified. Kids said we had one on the porch last week and I darted under the kitchen table. Wouldn't come out until the neighbor had removed it.

So no s'mores and no toads.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:09 am

NO S'MORES!....

(pointing finger) Blasphemer!

Jes joshin'. I always thought that it odd to give kids such a treat right before bed. Me on the other hand, I usually can only handle one cause they're there, then it's on to chocloate dipped in beer. :geek:
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:06 am

Cindy wrote:So no s'mores and no toads.

Cindy
I've never heard of anyone having a fear of toads. Any idea where that came from? I find that very interesting. Is it a Prince Charming thing?

-John
Keep it acoustic.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:13 am

Gypsie wrote:NO S'MORES!....

(pointing finger) Blasphemer!

Jes joshin'. I always thought that it odd to give kids such a treat right before bed. Me on the other hand, I usually can only handle one cause they're there, then it's on to chocloate dipped in beer. :geek:
We spent a delightful week camping across from a family that obviously were giving camping a first try without a great deal of success. First there was Dad who spent the week barking orders from his lawn chair. Then there was the boy who was given a pocketknife and spent the week throwing it straight up and seeing if he could out run where it might be coming down. Then there was older sister who alternated from meltdowns in the tent to putting on makeup for hours in the bathroom, and then there was Mom who desperately tried to maintain peace between the three of them. They must have brought a case of marshmallows with them because thats all I ever saw them eating. Mind you I'm not complaining about them in the least. It was their wonderful strange realness that drew me to them. The case for s'mores reminded me of them because the quietest I saw this group happened to be one morning when they were eating s'mores for breakfast with a frenzy trying to beat their family members to the last one.

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:09 pm

LiveonJG wrote:
Cindy wrote:So no s'mores and no toads.

Cindy
I've never heard of anyone having a fear of toads. Any idea where that came from? I find that very interesting. Is it a Prince Charming thing?

-John
I'll figure it out someday. Emmett's friend has two pet frogs, which are the same thing to me--equally terrifying. We were at this friend's house on Sunday and I was peeking at them from the doorway, hoping to desensitize myself a bit. I hadn't seen any toads or frogs for years (and believe me--I watch for them with every step). Now suddenly they're EVERYWHERE.

Prince Charming? Who's that? :scratch:

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:00 pm

Cindy wrote: Prince Charming? Who's that? :scratch:

Cindy

Awww...there there.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:59 am

Gypsie wrote:

Cindy

Awww...there there.
I had a much more jaded remark, but toned it down. Can't help it . . .

Cindy

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:55 pm

Cindy wrote:
Gypsie wrote:

Cindy

Awww...there there.
I had a much more jaded remark, but toned it down. Can't help it . . .

Cindy
And it was?

-John
Keep it acoustic.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:46 pm

Fear of toads = bufonophobia

Fear of smores = no such thing
79 VW Bus

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:05 pm

Randy in Maine wrote:Fear of toads = bufonophobia

Are you calling Cindy a buffoon?

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:14 am

Randy in Maine wrote:Fear of toads = bufonophobia

Fear of smores = no such thing
Just looked that up. Came to a site about it. I will NEVER go near Australia.

Cindy