Questions for the experts

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Questions for the experts

Post by Cindy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:28 am

I'm taking my kids camping for the first time, EVER. I used to camp as a kid, in the backyard at home. But that's it. Of course, I won't have a VW--just a tent. But I thought you guys could help me get started. We're going with some friends, to a pretty civilized camp site, this first time. But then we're going to get a little farther out, and a little farther out, as the summer goes along. I've grown very weary of my parking-lot front yard.

So, anything you guys can suggest? Any advice from those who have camped with their kids? Anything you always, always take along? Any handy tricks you've learned from experience?

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:34 am

kick the can ice cream.

http://www.cookingcache.com/dessert/kic ... l?rdid=rc1

Even if it fails to turn into ice cream it is still fun and you just have a milk shake instead. Works best around dusk when daytime temps and the hot sun are going down.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:39 am

vdubyah73 wrote:kick the can ice cream.

http://www.cookingcache.com/dessert/kic ... l?rdid=rc1

Even if it fails to turn into ice cream it is still fun and you just have a milk shake instead. Works best around dusk when daytime temps and the hot sun are going down.
That sounds like fun. Thanks, Bill!

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:06 am

Just found that thread for camping tips and I'm looking it over. But anything kid-specific would still be helpful. :flower:

Cindy

bean5446
Getting Hooked!

Post by bean5446 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:14 am

I think in campground type places, a skateboard/roller skates/bikes (if you can fit them) can't be beat. Kids seem to gravitate toward other kids in campgrounds, they'll find the "secret" hideouts and such.

Get them some camping gear of their own, a pocket knife, canteen, compass, stuff like that is great.

My tips would also include lots of wet wipes for hands, FIRST AID kits for sure. Know where the water is in case of burns. Other than that, let them explore as far as you're comfortable with and they are sure to have a blast.
Bean
1980 Volvo 245 DL, Omar, 397000 miles.
-------------------------------------------------
1987 Vanagon Syncro, Syncro, re-homed.
1984 Vanagon GL Totoro, re-homed.
-------------------------------------------------
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons. - T.S. Eliot

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:56 am

Please don't let these tidbits feed the fear beast, rather let them empower assurance:

Establish boundaries right at the start. Walk the grounds and build the invisible wall. It will give you a chance to see hazard spots and, hopefully, relieve your mama concerns when they are out of eyesight.

It will also narrow your places to look when and if you have to.

Depending on how far out you are, I recommend a good whistle. If lost the whistle won't give out like the vocal chords will.

Flashlights for every one.

Glowsticks are also very fun. Swirl them on a string and think back to college 'explorations".... :geek:

Lightweight long sleeve shirts and long pants for mosquito/chigger protection.

thongs or slip ons for late night bathroom trips.

Real marshmallows (not the new fangled puffed sugar crap at the grocery store) Look for kosher (I think Parve?). I will ask where my wife found them. It was somewhere odd like the dollar store or rite aid or something... also hot dogs for weenie roasting (goes without saying, I know).
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

AirCooledNut
Getting Hooked!

Post by AirCooledNut » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:14 pm

How old are the kids?

Do you like to hike because that's a great way to get your exercise and let the kids burn off energy. Fishing? Bird/animal watching? Teach them how to build a fire, winner is the one who can do it with the least amount of fuel and matches.

http://www.rei.com/
Need I say more :thumbright:

Speaking of REI, I found some LED flashlights for my toddlers. Push the button once and the flashlight is on. Push the button again and the opposite end (looks like a frosted wand for directing traffic or a glow stick) illuminates a color (Ronin gets the blue one, Bella gets red one). Push the button again and the wand flashes. The forth button push turns it off. The end of the wand has a cap; remove it and you have a whistle. Kids go bonkers for 'em.
Toby http://www.aircoolednut.com/
Did I mention that I'm an original Darksider?
DDB Forum
'72 VW Squareback, 2007cc, GB 5-speed, rag top; '76 VW Riviera Sundowner; '95 VW Jetta GL, Solo II EP; '81 Goldwing 1100
http://www.frappr.com/type3volkswagenowners & http://www.type3registry.com/

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:23 pm

Smores.
79 VW Bus

AirCooledNut
Getting Hooked!

Post by AirCooledNut » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:07 pm

Randy in Maine wrote:Smores.
There's no age limit for them :cheers:
Toby http://www.aircoolednut.com/
Did I mention that I'm an original Darksider?
DDB Forum
'72 VW Squareback, 2007cc, GB 5-speed, rag top; '76 VW Riviera Sundowner; '95 VW Jetta GL, Solo II EP; '81 Goldwing 1100
http://www.frappr.com/type3volkswagenowners & http://www.type3registry.com/

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:25 am

Gypsie--I was wondering about things like that. Thank you for laying it all out. Very practical advice. We will do exactly as you suggested.

Cindy

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:26 am

AirCooledNut wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:Smores.
There's no age limit for them :cheers:
Never liked s'mores. Weird, I know.

Cindy

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:17 am

Flashlight tag and spider sniffing.
Ghost stories and childhood stories around the campfire.
Foil pack dinners
Its cooler in the country than in the city. Bring warm clothes for night.
Leave the flashlight off for the 3AM bathroom trip. The starlight will be fantastic

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Practical, geez. Might as well just say fuddy-duddy... :geek:

It's the Day camp director in me. We had campouts every other week with 30+ 'other peoples kids'. Boundaries keep counselors sane. Glowsticks are great 'trackers'.

Popcorn to toss in the fire. pop crackle wizz. keep track of embers.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:12 pm

Gypsie wrote:Practical, geez. Might as well just say fuddy-duddy... :geek:

It's the Day camp director in me. We had campouts every other week with 30+ 'other peoples kids'. Boundaries keep counselors sane. Glowsticks are great 'trackers'.

Popcorn to toss in the fire. pop crackle wizz. keep track of embers.
This is going to be so much fun. Thank you guys!!

CIndy

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:20 pm

Gypsie wrote:thongs ... for late night bathroom trips.
What is it with you and thongs anyway?

Just when I have the image burned out of my mind you bring it back.

:joker:

-John
Keep it acoustic.