Back to Amicalola Falls Georgia

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Back to Amicalola Falls Georgia

Post by Sylvester » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:44 am

My older son had his state testing for school this past week. Since he is home schooled, he had to take his tests at a state facility, all five of them and one a day. When I got to chose the site, they only gave me counties, and not my county either. That meant driving, and potentially driving in Atlanta traffic. So, I picked and got a northern county. Lo and behold I got Amicalola Falls park lodge. I got to take both my sons there the first day, and at the end of the week camped with the older son taking the tests. We might have stayed longer, but there were lots, and I mean lots, of wasp's and yellow jackets around. I mean I have never seen so many, and not so much bees either. And they were drawn to the Bus, as soon as you rolled a window down, in they came. My son has never been stung, so he was wary, and fortunately we did not get stung. But, you had to keep watching, they were bad. Here are some shots:

The first few days were breezy and chilly. This is at the lodge looking South:

On Thursday the campsite was 1/4 full, by Friday it was 100%.

This is the campsite, it rained and lightning was part of the storm:

After the storm, it all turned orange, these shots don't do any justice:

This is the morning, my son was in the cot overhead still:

This is looking down the falls, it is a long way down there:

The trees were blooming, not sure if this had something to do with the wasps and YJ's:

This is part of the falls, no matter how hot you got climbing, it was very cool near them:

The infamous 600 stairs, the boy and I did it this year too, and even saved a eighth grader who climbed them, got heatstroke and needed a ride back down, the the "Dharma Bus" as the kids all called it.

And here I am, I think you need to make interesting pictures, we had fun, but I have to find more camping places:

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:11 pm

beautiful pics of early spring. and now i know what you look like!

cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:11 pm

Nice looking place to spend some time!
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:34 pm

And back again. I took my youngest camping for the first time in his life, he absolutely loved it. I went with familiar settings, Amacalola is nice and simple. Here is the site on Saturday the 4th, we didn't stay for the fireworks, we drove all the way to Pensacola Florida for that, but that is another story:

And here is the little one, eating smores and sitting in his camping chair around the fire. He is a firebug just like his father was, he even got a burning marshmallow on his brother's arm. I called it the dance of the smore brave.

Here is a first in camping, just for the kids, or for daiquiris? A slushy machine, and it was running and not being watched. My youngest about had a fit and did want to go get some:

And I have to add this shot, post camping picture. How many children do you know get to knock on a FatBoy A-Bomb? Only one I know of:

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:21 pm

Thats a good age to take them camping. Nice pics. Did he climb the 600 steps?

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:28 pm

He looks just like you, Sly.

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:48 pm

Awesome pics. Home schooling rocks! I worked as a reference librarian for stint. That's what they called us, but I really just worked a the reference desk. The real librarians worked on the collections in the back office.

Anywho, I loved having the home schooled kids in. It was a night and day difference between the home schooled and public school kids.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:20 pm

RussellK wrote:Thats a good age to take them camping. Nice pics. Did he climb the 600 steps?
Heck no, I had to carry him back from the lodge with a load of firewood, I am amazed my arms don't look like Popeye now! He did fly a sub-chaser, here is proof:

We even made it to New Orleans, it was a fun week. I like cramming a lot into a vacation, I just hate the driving! 1800 miles in nine days, whew. He doesn't look like me, he looks a lot better I think:

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:41 pm

Looks like he was having fun. I wish I had some vaca left by the time summer rolls around to go on a trip. Never happens though.
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:57 am

That photo of your son on the sub chaser reminded me of taking mine to the Air Force Museum in Ohio. Well worth it and I'd bet he'd like that too.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:24 am

Nice photos! I can't think of a better place to be if you have to take a test either! Camping!
I am gonna have to remember that one!

Sly, I think your baby boy looks like you too :flower:

p.s. we drove 2010 in 6 days to get to Maupin. I think we are still tired from all of that driving!
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:49 am

RussellK wrote:That photo of your son on the sub chaser reminded me of taking mine to the Air Force Museum in Ohio. Well worth it and I'd bet he'd like that too.
That is a must see. I have been going there since the 70's, I grew up an hour from there. When I was in the Air Force, I worked up the hill from the museum, and lived just across the street from it. Now it is so big, it would take three days to get through it. You simply have to go see it to believe it. Look st it's website to see just how big it is.