Seasoning your cast iron schtuff

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Seasoning your cast iron schtuff

Post by deschutestrout » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:05 pm

I know from experience that MANY of you are into dutch ovens and 'ole time cast iron cookware. There are many seasoning methods online...I've read a bunch. I'd been seasoning my goods with regular vegetable oil...what many recommend. I recently re-seasoned a couple of pieces with Crisco (lard could be replaced here too) and whoa buddy, what a difference. Even if you've seasoned with oil, scrape 'er clean and try a coating of Crisco at 400 degrees for an hour, wipe it, recoat slightly, then another hour at 380-400. I believe you'll be pleased with the outcome...I was.
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:25 am

Yep, Crisco works great for me too. I like to season my stuff on my gas grill instead of my oven so I don't get my kitchen all smoky.

A solid regimen of bacon frying helps the cast iron also.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:57 am

Does the Crisco give it a higher non stick factor? I've always used the stuff specifically for cast iron. Doesn't seem to be very durable though.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:30 am

Westy78 wrote:Does the Crisco give it a higher non stick factor? I've always used the stuff specifically for cast iron. Doesn't seem to be very durable though.
Seems to thus far. Then, I think the key is usage, and cooking lots of bacon, burger, etc. and then whenever possible just wipe it clean without using water. The crisco seemed to give it a darker patina that looked more like those 50 year old cast iron skillets you've seen that have been properly cared for over the years. I found a couple of old skillets that were rusted, encrusted with heavy carbon, etc that I had to totally strip down and then reseason...the crisco gave better results then the oil did...haven't tried the cast iron specific stuff though. Happy cooking :cheers:

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:09 am

Thanks Mark, I need to do this as mine is getting really sticky.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:04 am

spiffy wrote:Thanks Mark, I need to do this as mine is getting really sticky.
From what I've read, the vegetable oil makes it sticky....mine was always a bit tacky after it cooled. I'd say just clean your pan as normal then go right over the top with Crisco or lard...then bake it hard at 400 for up to a couple of hours...I need to pick up some lard and try coating with that too....ya know, that's what they used in the day.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:38 am

I recently watched a show called "americas kitchen" where they test all sorts of stuff and they were comparing nonstick pans and had a few castiron skillets.

The long and short is that all the hype about non-stick has turned out to be hoopla. Aside fron the toxins that can be released at temps above 400 (which happens alot) the nonstick does not hold up to the nonstick properties of a well seasoned skillet.

The oils actually change on a molecular level to bond with the metal and make for the perfect surface.

All these chefs that spent 300+ for the uberpan are now switching back to cast iron.

In a restaurant setting it's hard to keep a castiron seasoned cause the pearl divers just run em through the dishwasher.

NO SOAP. I repeat NO SOAP. Heat and scrub. then a loving rubdown....then some oil on the pan :geek:
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:11 pm

I really dig Test Kitchen, but like all cooking shows it makes me hungry.

well seasoned cast iron is da bomb. Rub it down with rock salt or if its really rusty, put a wire wheel on your drill and get it all shiny. Then yep, Crisco is your really serious. I like to think of it as paving the path for the cholesteral to get into my arteries.

mmm, bacon......

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:59 pm

Yeah, been using dutch ovens for years on the river...just started using skillets and now they're the only skillet I use. Sits on my stove permanently, ready for use. Started collecting a few different sizes and types as I find them. Hoping that some yard sales this summer yield a few treasures...some of these babies are worth a S$#& load of money! Particularly old "Griswold" items...keep your eyes out for these...even if they're rusty as hell most can be cleaned up with a little effort and know-how. Wire wheel, oven cleaner, bake the heck out of them, clean, season and you're off to the kitchen.

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:28 pm

Just remember, no tomato based items, makes your cast iron taste a bit weird....
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:27 am

I know a lot about this topic! My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.

(my Mother irons and my Father steals)

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:44 am

Olive oil, the miracle oil. I even use it on wooden musical instruments! 1,000 uses.
Mark got it, the secret to good seasoning is heavy use, sometimes greasy cooking fried in deep. If you do a lot of soups n stews then it will take longer to get that good brown layer.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:42 am

Isn't it a sure sign of old age when you tell the same joke twice?