4-16-09 Hal Hambone & Barry Memorial Birthday Campout

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:39 pm

Twas a strange trip. Great B-day cake. I will post pix tonite.

I think I am coming to the conclusion that camping with the family really needs to be at a campground with a toilet, or at least an outhouse. This will ease stress on so many levels.

My wife tolerates the outback trips, but it is just that, 'tolerance', not quite enjoyment. I am enjoying these trips less and less when I am engulfed in borderline panick and discomfort (that shtuff is contagious, you know), and I know that the perception of 'wilderness' and separation from civilization is the main concern.

I have come to the conclusion that I do not need to convince my wife that being in the backwoods, miles from anything 'civilized' is a great place to be. I have been trying to make life comfortable for wilderness experiences, and carry all the crap to prove it. She is just not comfortable there, that's all there is to it.

I can truly enjoy camping at the state parks and NFS campgrounds, though it is a different experience than 'backwoods'. Those trips will be the family oriented camps.

It's ok to like different things.

Backwoods trips will be Poppa's time away. And that's a good thing too.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:00 pm

Gypsie wrote: Backwoods trips will be Poppa's time away. And that's a good thing too.
Don't worry, my boys will be there to give you some quality "kid time" :geek: That's the same reason why you never have seen Marni on one of our wilderness trips. Does a bear shit in the woods? Yes...so do Zane and Eli...wifey? Not so much without asking why, why, why are we calling this fun?
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:24 pm

WOW! I am surprised about the non-camping wifeys...the only camp thing I dislike is when it gets *too buggy* but buggy takes on a whole nother dimension in the South, maybe not so much in the PNW?

Some of my best times have been spent camping in woods, etc., and especially taking road trips. But then I am easy to please when I travel. I enjoy the lack of stress that camping provides. Really! Some of my best out of body (and in body too!!) experiences I have had camping.... hmm..
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:06 pm

deschutestrout wrote:Don't worry, my boys will be there to give you some quality "kid time" :geek: That's the same reason why you never have seen Marni on one of our wilderness trips. Does a bear shit in the woods? Yes...so do Zane and Eli...wifey? Not so much without asking why, why, why are we calling this fun?
I'm pretty sure that Lily would do well. Momma is a nervous wreck for it though and it takes her a few days to come down off of the few days worth of adreniline worrying...

We get buggy times. No seeums, skeeters, ticks and the like, though it is a mild side note (especially if you don't nix winter camping...)

Chocolate, Vanilla, Half&half, you pick...

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:58 pm

I've experienced mosquito plagues camping in the PNW. Broke out the bug spray, buttoned down long-sleeve shirts, not my most pleasant experience. It was the exception, though.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:14 pm

Oh the stories I can tell of learning "Campin' ways " and the process of elemanation. :joker: Started early on with my Mom/Dad and older sister (that always gave me strife) taking these road trips pulling a teardrop trailer behind a big buick or cadilac to every state park or camping area in the Western US and beyond. My Dad was great in teaching the ways with the shovel and such and the bears in those days did come right up to the car and camp with out any fear. Later on my one and only husband was a jewel at tring to make a area for myself and our daughters to use. I let him be the ruler of the space but honestly it was always more of a pain and trouble than just digging a hole and covering your tracks. Besides most of the outhouses or toilets were stinky and far more dangerous from weirdows and blackwidows than just releiving yourself and being done with it.

I do understand and say bravo to you guys that love the wilderness, let the women be and do what feels right but do teach your kids ( I think you try) and I too love room service every now and again but feel just fine in using my lined bucket inside my bus or flashing my tush to the winds that blow away from others. :flower:

BTW Happy Birthday to you guys- You bring such joy to this site,

Thank You, B/E&J
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:36 am

That sucks man...I felt some tension between my coughs and knew you weren't quite yerself. Figgured it mighta been mama issues.
Well you are the most thoughtful and accomodating feller I've ever met, so it's out of your hands. I do know the kids had an absolute blast, Eva didn't want to leave even after 4 days. You're right about the perception thing, we were hardly in wilderness with major roads and ranger stations and F.S. housing centers only 1 mile down the road.
I was bummed we couldn't ride out toghether, but I could see it in your eyes that you needed to go.
Coulda been worse your dogs could have been stranded on a cliff with stubbly useless legs just tossing the dirt about. :blackeye:
Next time just bring your kid and keep the peace in your family.

Thanks Barb! 40 sucks. Did I mention that? Maybe it's just the sickies but been feelin kinda gloomy. I guess I'm lucky to have some good friends but do they all have to be insane? Present company included of course.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:54 am

It's probably not easy on a lady not having facilities available. Particularly with you fellers hollering full moon rising like that. And they stress something awful about the little ones wandering off and falling into a gorge not to mention those marshmallow and beans breakfasts we so love. And then all the hooting and laughing hysterically over poo poo jokes

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:05 pm

There's probably some negative aspects too.

In all honesty, when chicks and kidlets are present, these trips are 98% Disney. Not easy but we are hip to the game being the coots we are.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:11 pm

zblair wrote:WOW! I am surprised about the non-camping wifeys...hmm..
Don't get me wrong...my wife LOVES to camp...when the weather is decent, and toilet available. We have a small RV with bathroom that we take during the summer. Most of our trips are close by (we're lucky to live where we do) and she drives the RV, I drive my bus. She's happy, I'm happy, Zane usually sleeps with me in the bus and that works out well because we are both early risers when camping...and we can do our own thing without disturbing sleeping mama and Eli...works out great.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:22 pm

hambone wrote: In all honesty, when chicks and kidlets are present, these trips are 98% Disney. Not easy but we are hip to the game being the coots we are.
I love the trips I take solo with you guys, but also love when Zane and/or Eli come along. You've seen them in action...they are hearty, non-complaining, generally behaved and respectful, and are really starting to learn what camping is about. I was able to sneak away with the boys for a quick overnight Saturday to Bonney Crossing (sorry guys, my schedule didn't allow time to get to where you were) and Zane was finding bits of garbage, found a stump by the creek with some retired beer cans in it that we cleaned out...and he asked "dad, why do people leave garbage out here in the wilderness anyway?" Good boy.

Beautimous weather by the way, and only two other guys camped (quiet guys) at the end of the loop...we were actually glad they were there because they dug my bus, and gave us a HUGE stack of split wood for our fire. :cheers:

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:26 pm

deschutestrout wrote:Don't get me wrong...my wife LOVES to camp...when the weather is decent, and toilet available. We have a small RV with bathroom that we take during the summer. Most of our trips are close by (we're lucky to live where we do) and she drives the RV, I drive my bus. She's happy, I'm happy, Zane usually sleeps with me in the bus and that works out well because we are both early risers when camping...and we can do our own thing without disturbing sleeping mama and Eli...works out great.
Glad you have a system that works! When Jeffrey and I have gone camping, I am always up first to relieve myself. Generally my commotion (finding shoes, gathering stuff to wash up, unzipping the tent, etc.) wakes him. We don't own an RV only Phred and I am actually looking forward to when he will have his interior done so that we can take him camping. :flower: IF there is an available potty I appreciate that, but I have done more primitive camping also. It's only a bummer during my moon time, but sooner or later I will be free of that and then I'll be more like one of youse guys. Well, sortof, but you get the picture.
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Warning lots o pix

Post by Gypsie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:45 pm

It was still a good time.

Check these out:
Dagang...

Dawagon...

Oh OK here's another one of the wagon...

We went for a hike

Spring was sproinging all around...

The forest was telling me her secrets...

This is what we saw of the kids

They found a tree they called the Spider tree. They hung out at for hours. lost in other worlds.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:59 pm

Like I said there was cake...

Bob was VERY excited...

photofun:

ground raisins...

Faerie Condos

Massacre
Warped

Uhhhh....Don't ask....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:55 pm

Gypsie wrote:Uhhhh....Don't ask....
This is not a question so I am not asking but I am overcome with horrified curiosity as to what is going on there and take this moment to observe that real men would not leave their gentle readership thunderstruck. . .
Colin :cyclopsani:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles