Cabinet ingenuity svp

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Cabinet ingenuity svp

Post by grandfatherjim » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:48 pm

Noting a general consensus that they get in the way of the entrance, I built a kitchen cabinet for behind the passenger seat, striving to keep it slim. We needed a place to store stuff but I also wanted more counter space, and the ability to set up the stove inside in case we ever really needed to.
So I made this thing that looks like this when closed:
[albumimg]2475[/albumimg]

and the taller left side then swings out to give access to the propane stove and magic fold out kitchen unit:
[albumimg]2476[/albumimg]

Then, the flap thing that was hanging down covering the stove hinges up, and is placed on the free-standing partition wall, and makes a bigger counter top. It's sized so that the stove can fit on top.
[albumimg]2477[/albumimg]

What you don't see in these pictures is that the propane tank (not a full size job) is stored in the shorter right hand section, and there is a hinged top.

Now for my question: I want to find a nifty self-contained way to prop up the semicircular table that is hanging on the right side. I'd rather not use a loose prop rod as it could get lost or rattle around.
I have thought of a piece of copper plumbing pipe with a couple of 45 degree angles that could be slid out from within the propane tank area, that would rest along in the space below the table - but that width would not let the pipe be long enough to hold up the table.
I can't put anything under the table as it is right up close to the sliding door of the camper, when the door is closed.
I can't put a curved prop right under the table that retracts into the space behind, as the propane tank is there.
I've been stewing too long about this detail and need a fresh mind.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Jim
[/img]

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:39 pm

How about a drawer slider that slides into the piece on the right (just above the propane tank provided there is any space above it) and pulls out to support the table? Those things are pretty sturdy. Probably not strong enough to stand on but should handle a modest load pretty well. You'd still need to figure out a way to pull out the hidden slider and secure it but it would be a start.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:16 pm

Interesting. Unfortunately the body of the bus would interfere but maybe there is a way to do something like that.
Thanks,
Jim