3rd Annual Badger Creek Wilderness - March 27-29, 2009

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:07 pm

Damn, our camping has been pre-empted by my cousin's baby who has decided to arrive two weeks early - I'm headed out now to go help with the kids while they're at the hospital, have a lovely time, if I get back in time, the kids and I will come up if we can...
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

bean5446
Getting Hooked!

Post by bean5446 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:43 pm

Jeez, what a crazy week.

Started last Wednesday with our oldest stomach sick then Saturday our two month old was sick and in the ER with what they think is a little viral pneumonia. They sent us home with instructions to bring her back if she got worse.

Well she's been great all week but today is sleepy and won't nurse, and her breathing is rattley off and on. Sommer took her back to the ER about 45 minutes ago.

On top of that our 2 year old just got sick this morning with a fever.

On top of that, Sommer got super sick Sunday and just started to feel better yesterday. Wow.

I'm not liking the odds that I won't get sick. I promise not to bring sick kiddos or sick me to the campout! I still plan on making this one if sickos get better tomorrow. Man.
Bean
1980 Volvo 245 DL, Omar, 397000 miles.
-------------------------------------------------
1987 Vanagon Syncro, Syncro, re-homed.
1984 Vanagon GL Totoro, re-homed.
-------------------------------------------------
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons. - T.S. Eliot

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:54 pm

So the nasty bug has made it all the way across the nation already. We had it run through our house and friends over the past month or so. Take care of the wee one. I got it 2 weeks ago and just started feeling right again this week. Hope ya all feel better. If ya need to lose weight you will with this one.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:27 pm

So.... I'm confused...

1. Who's going?

2. When does it start/end?

3. Where is the location?

There's a slight chance I might turn out for this afterall. Slight. I'd have to uh.. get sick real quick... and well real quick too.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:42 pm

You'd better get sick!~ :drunken:
Well not Bean...

Starts tomorrow. I'm leaving here at HIGH NOON with Chitown and Co.
I'm going back Sunday morning.
The location is near the town of Wamic on the southern canyon of Badger Creek. I've never seen a badger. Well maybe.

From Mark:

Close. I believe it is to the right of your "B" on the map, right where the road veers off to the left and goes down the hill to the creek. I think they're calling our road "Stockton" road on the map.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... =UTF8&z=14

Directions.

Take I-84 to The Dalles...exit 87...hwy 197 South towards Maupin. 10 miles before Maupin you'll come to a blinking light. Turn right into Tygh Valley (or left if you've come over the mountain and are heading north on 197) Turn right at the Tygh Tavern...this will put you on Wamic Market Road. Follow this up the hill and on into the town of Wamic (stay left at the junction where you see signs for "Lexies"). Once to Wamic(7 miles or so), turn left at the Y (follow signs to Barlow Road Route). After 4 miles, the pavement will change to shock-testing broken pavement...you'll know you're approaching the turn off . Go another mile (5 miles total from Wamic) and turn right at the sign for Bonney Crossing. 1/4 mile stay right at the Y. Mile 2...take right at sign (road 4811 I believe). Mile 4...go right at the T onto 2710. Go about a 1/2 mile and just after you cross "Highlands Ditch"

but just past Highlands Ditch (and before you make the corner leading down the hill to Bonney Crossing), there is a lil spur road off to the right. Take that, and go several hundred yards and our camp will be on the left.

Okay, just spoke with a friend to tried to access from the Tygh Valley direction the other day. He said in the shaded areas there was still a BUNCH of snow, and said it was doubtful we could access the canyon from either side.

Bring wood, instruments, a torque wrench for Bob, food for yourselves (often, most often these turn into huge feasts where we all share what we brought...pretty much a full day of grazing) The boys and I will likely head up Thursday to make it a 3 nighter...they're jonezin' to go. I'll bring a variety of instruments...and my new mandolin which I set up as a mandola.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:54 pm

Diet Pepsi kill all sorts of sickness. It's kind of like Chemo.

It might just be Hammie, deschutestrout, 71Vista, and me out in the woods. I guess we'll deal. Sure like to see Emily's Owner, bean5446, and IFB. Guess we'll see how it all plays out.

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:30 am

All packed and ready to roll! See you guys out there.
The bus seems anxious to get on the road, that's a good sign.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:58 am

hambone wrote:All packed and ready to roll! See you guys out there.
The bus seems anxious to get on the road, that's a good sign.
Let's do this!

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:34 pm

Well, I'm just about packed and ready to roll. Just waitin' on Bob, Todd and Kirk...hope we can get Todd's bus running right quick. For those joining...we'll likely be at the upper spot...don't think we can get down the hill to the lower spot. See ya! Mark
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:08 pm

Have fun guys ----- and take lots of pics. I always enjoy the pics.

Good luck on getting the bus runnin' !

:bom:
-'72 Westy-

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:38 am

Wedensday: met up with hambone at his house went to leave my bus would not start. new alternator was not putting out any power. I had been running on the battery for a week. Hambone jumped me and i followed him to pick up Chitown on the way i figured out that the alt. needed the signal from the dash light to trigger the alt. Now with that fixed alt putting out 13.7v it was running sluggish after hambones now it was running terrible poping missing and rather sad. I bid hambone on his was unloaded stuff from the bus on a side street next to a Rite Aid. chjecked coil and other things. went to a bar across the street. (good planning on work area) had a porter. think low voltage bad spark new plugs. We are on the road to the camp. got to go i will continue story later lots more for Wedensday...
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:58 am

71vistacruzer wrote:Wedensday: met up with hambone at his house went to leave my bus would not start. new alternator was not putting out any power. I had been running on the battery for a week. Hambone jumped me and i followed him to pick up Chitown on the way i figured out that the alt. needed the signal from the dash light to trigger the alt. Now with that fixed alt putting out 13.7v it was running sluggish after hambones now it was running terrible poping missing and rather sad. I bid hambone on his was unloaded stuff from the bus on a side street next to a Rite Aid. chjecked coil and other things. went to a bar across the street. (good planning on work area) had a porter. think low voltage bad spark new plugs. We are on the road to the camp. got to go i will continue story later lots more for Wedensday...
I love this post. That's a NW Bus Owner right there.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:03 pm

on 84 windy ... right at the high desert into the rocky hills ... right at the flashing light into the scrub oaks and awsome rocks. i find the forest land the narrow roads caddle crossings mule deer. yes i am almost to camp dirt road little bridge down steep single wide dirt rocky road snow patches on the trail to badger creek camp ground... i drive in and see no buss or any other people. i turn around a large puddle on the high side "fun" i slide sideways into the puddle keep moving feather the gas please dont get stuck ... i make it.. need a beer.. better now climb out of the canyon 1st gear through swow patches and on top of the ridge... glad they did not camp in the canyon way cold.. what next only 2 tracks off of this road so off i go across the ridge over big rocks puddles scraping bushes.. a truck blocking the road both doors are open as i get close i see no people... middle of no mans land i put elle (my bus) in reverse and gun it. some one comes out of the bushes waves and closes the doors. they are poching deer. father and 8-9 year old son. big rifles bigger scopes. i give them thumbs up thinking please dont shoot the hippie. i put in 1st go around the truck driving over a stump all the while giving thumbs up... a bit further no buses i turn around backing into a puddle missing reverse baby the gas no punch it out of the puddle..the pocher are gone back to the road.. next turn off the road up another ridge with no buses.. where are they is this a trick on the new guy .. look for the paper plates they said.. hey they were going to maupin first maybe the are still there...
71 bench 1915

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:36 pm

on my way to maupin.. pulling into maupin i stop at the gas station a man comes out leaving his friend staring at me out the window. . whats you want .. gas please .. i guess i can open back up we closed at 6 like we do every day .. thank you very much.. im gettig low .. do you know mark deschutestrout? i know alot of marks but no deschutestrout... drives a bus? ..now he is smiling ya! keep going over the big bridge oasis on your left cannt miss it.. thank you very much.. im sposta be camping with them and i could not find the camp... he's still in town he has not stopped by for gas and he would of before leaving town.. thank you very much.. now im smiling ... over the big bridge left into the oasis i find hambone mark and chitown working on a chitown's bus... i need a beer.. short time later the trout mobile lives we are on our way to the camp.. dark over all the roads previously discribed only dark and with friends i feel safer now .. mark takes a right down pochers trail over rocks through puddles camp at last.. some talk big fire coozy nights sleep in elle under the 4 blankets i brought .. thursday morning....
71 bench 1915

hambone

Post by hambone » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:16 pm

Back safe, no issues. Thanks you guys.