Northwest Snow 2008

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Northwest Snow 2008

Post by hambone » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:39 am

Those of us that live here know that winter does not want to go away, especially in the mountains. Currently the snow level is at 2000' and not expected to rise anytime soon. We're way below normal in temps, and mountain snow levels is far beyond "normal". Snow down to 1000' is expected!

Forest Service Rd70 near the Collawash River (and not particularly high):
Expect a late camping/hiking season for the higher elevation locations. It's driving me crazy! But you can't argue with the weather. Well you CAN but you'd look pretty silly.

Temps for the month of April:

It's not as bad in Portland, albeit gray and clammy. But spring is rolling along its merry way with cherry blossoms, now-fading daffodills, and tulips. But screw the city I want the heck outa here!!!! :cherry: Patience, ugly-boy.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:05 am

Enjoy the cool wet weather while you have it. Our weather has been exceptionally warm and dry the past two winters. I find it spooky that it hasn't rained since February. We usually have nice showers through spring. It was 90 here last weekend. Too hot too early. I hope it's not a portent to a cooker of a summer.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:18 am

It's like anything, too much of a "good" thing gets tiresome. And the cold weather is makin everybody sick here, hell I've been couging up goo for a week and 1/2. Not that I'm complaining! :flower:
The hard thing for me is not being able to access my favorite spots, and knowing it's gonna be a while.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:49 am

Jeesh, I was just thinking about posting something about the schitzo weather we have had the last 6 months or so. I bet some of the snow that we got this year will still be around by next summer.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

turk

Post by turk » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:55 am

The weather has been just a little cold here. Today it's supposed to get up to the sixties. I'd be camping already if I could. Especially, cause I bet the campgrounds are empty now. This is about how it is today. Windy. North Park Nature Center: Image

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:05 pm

spiffy wrote:Jeesh, I was just thinking about posting something about the schitzo weather we have had the last 6 months or so. I bet some of the snow that we got this year will still be around by next summer.
That's how ice ages get started.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:07 pm

covelo wrote:
spiffy wrote:Jeesh, I was just thinking about posting something about the schitzo weather we have had the last 6 months or so. I bet some of the snow that we got this year will still be around by next summer.
Thanks, ya made me shed a tear. :geek:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:12 pm

I'm disappointed that what looked like a good snowy winter stopped dead in its tracks here in February. My all time favorite thing is hiking Yosemite in May or early June after a wet winter. Water everywhere. It's just beautiful. Those snowy forest roads in Oregon look perfect for snowshoeing.

I was talking with some friends in Holland and they also have been complaining about the lack of spring. Only twice in the last century has the temperature not once topped 60 this late in the year.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:13 pm

spiffy wrote:
covelo wrote:
Thanks, ya made me shed a tear. :geek:
Let's get things okay again..
It is in the low 70's and sunny today in sunny Florida.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:20 pm

Where is that Turk? The Nature Center?

turk

Post by turk » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:41 pm

Yeah. Not the best example of quality habitat around but it is the Nature Center. They work pretty hard to restore it.
I think the best prairie habitats are probably farther north. I've never been but I've read about them. Lake County and McHenry County. What I'm I saying? I've been there. Some of that stuff is just raw undeveloped and still pretty high quality. It is mostly slated to become subdivisions and strip malls. You can't compete with consumerism.

turk

Post by turk » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:56 pm

The history behind that place is interesting. Before it was a sanitarium it was a nursery run by a guy named Peterson. A Swede of course. He ran the biggest nursery around. So, I wonder about the plants growing there currently. I would guess most are just there by chance. There are some native oaks.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:22 pm

turk wrote: There are some native oaks.
They have that whole thing about bringing back the savanna. It's ok for what it is, I just wish you didn't hear the cars driving by on Peterson. Which now I know was probably named for that swede you were writing about.

turk

Post by turk » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:47 pm

I'm going there or somewhere else in the next hour. Jen is coming with. Maybe we will stop by to see the dogs.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:58 pm

Hey Turk, if turtles are out, it's spring.

I always knew winter was definitely over in the coast range when my commute involved trying to avoid running over frogs.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.