1st Family Camp trip since rebuild

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mark
Getting Hooked!

1st Family Camp trip since rebuild

Post by Mark » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:23 pm

I love this camper so much and what it allows us to do!
We spent the March long weekend camping on Salt Spring Island, a 30 min ferry ride from here on Vancouver Island.

Some notes/observations:

1. Electrical gremlins (aka POs) After running the engine after a c-h-i-l-l-y evening to check how the battery would perform, (no problem there) I discovered the fridge and all shore power was NLA. Huh?
I don't know what possessed me last minute to throw the multimeter in the toolkit, but a couple half-split checks and I discovered the culprit.
Same ol' story, some previous owner had cut & spliced (poorly) the wires just behind the shore plug connection. Had they removed the cabinet, they would have discovered the plug and disconnected it but NOOOO, cut, snip, oops...re-splice. Minutes and several feet of electrical tape later, back in business.

2. Performance ramblings
a. Mileage is still sucky. After re-checking dwell, plugs, & adjusting timing w/ strobe between 28-30, I suspect some jetting is required. I haven't pushed the envelope past 30 BTDC, so maybe that's in order.

b. VDO CHT issues. Engine floating around 400 mark on highway speeds of 50 mph +. Cooling flaps responding A-OK to thermostat, engine doesn't feel/smell hot, no vac leaks detected.

c. Engine seems 'lacking' power, back to jetting?

3. Camp Setup/Arrangement This tent is big, heavy, smells funny, and the most practical and best thing I bought for camping!
The extra dry real estate this thing affords when the weather turns south is bliss. I was skeptical about it at first but it will now go on every camping trip w/ us.
Our daughter couldn't have been more snug in her "fort" behind the rear seat. We didn't have to fold the seat down once.

Time to figure out where we're going to next in April!

I love this tent!

One happy camper :flower:

The weekend's sponsor :drunken:

'64 Sedan
'74 Westy
aka the "Hoover Bit" repro guy

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:30 pm

Sweet.

More picture is you have any.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:52 pm

Must....touch....up....my...paint :pale:

That bus is beautiful!! (same color as mine)
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Mark
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mark » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:41 pm

I'm waiting for a disc of photos my wife's father-in-law took. He's the pro so there should be some much nicer photos to contribute.

his site, kahena imaging
'64 Sedan
'74 Westy

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Re: 1st Family Camp trip since rebuild

Post by DjEep » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:50 pm

Mark wrote: b. VDO CHT issues. Engine floating around 400 mark on highway speeds of 50 mph +. Cooling flaps responding A-OK to thermostat, engine doesn't feel/smell hot, no vac leaks detected.
Are you adjusting you reading according to ambient temperature?
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Mark
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mark » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:01 pm

Yup yup, even for a metric person such as myself...eh!
I have this suspicious feeling the VDO is wrong...but it's still cause for me to do further checks.
I did some checking, pulling plug wires to check for idle drop...
#4 shows no change. uh-oh-oh?
I'll pull the plug(s) tomorrow & have a look-see. Early day tomorrow...sleepy time.
'64 Sedan
'74 Westy

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:03 pm

Mark wrote:Yup yup, even for a metric person such as myself...eh!
I have this suspicious feeling the VDO is wrong...but it's still cause for me to do further checks.
I did some checking, pulling plug wires to check for idle drop...
#4 shows no change. uh-oh-oh?
I'll pull the plug(s) tomorrow & have a look-see. Early day tomorrow...sleepy time.
FYI, my VDO was 50° high right out of the box. Checked calibration via boiling water.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:55 pm

I've got a similar set of Tibetan Prayer flags in just about the same place.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

Mark
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mark » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:47 pm

Nice! They're 'just' above the rear view line-of-sight with the top down.
I did the VDO boiling water test before installing, and it was very accurate. I've been cautioned the VDOs are best used to detect a trend, rather than take the reading as gospel.
'64 Sedan
'74 Westy

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:13 pm

Mark wrote: I've been cautioned the VDOs are best used to detect a trend, rather than take the reading as gospel.
Yep.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:06 pm

I concur. I tested Westy's VDO guage with my new sensor and got the same reading (50 degrees high at 212. (He was nice enough to let me have it for close to a song.)

I don't know if the difference increases incrementally or if it is a flat 50. My inclination is to think that near 400 the diff is closer to 75-100. Maybe bad logic but I operate under the 'trend' theory anyway.

I like watching the needle go up and down depending on my actions. (downshifting etc.)

Fun with guages.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....