Hambone Camp 2016? November 10th?

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Hambone Camp 2016? November 10th?

Post by hambone » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:53 pm

Well it is November already and we haven't even camped for the 10th anniversary of Hambone Spr. Camps. Are you free in a couple of weeks? I have never been up there in November and if we get lucky we can still make it before the snow falls.
Just a thought, it has been a while since a Bus Camp. I was futzing on the Skyline all summer myself. :pirate:

Last year: http://greencascadia.blogspot.com/2015/ ... -2015.html
and the last time I spoke with Don, who knows in life?

Think about it, it would be good to see you all.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Re: Hambone Camp 2016? November 10th?

Post by Westy78 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:17 pm

Crap, can't do that weekend. How about the next weekend?
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:06 pm

I'll still be busless at that point. :pale:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:49 pm

We have lost our camping spirit around here. It is OK my Bus is still sick. I just have so many fond memories of all of our camps, it is so strange that people just stopped giving a crap. Another fad like the Rubiks Cube? What a weird couple of years it has been.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:56 am

hambone wrote:We have lost our camping spirit around here. It is OK my Bus is still sick. I just have so many fond memories of all of our camps, it is so strange that people just stopped giving a crap. Another fad like the Rubiks Cube? What a weird couple of years it has been.

Perhaps?
A) The great surge of internet-based air-cooled Volkswagen community is contracting. Of those of us whose "bios" was "flashed" with the promise of it, we are now stuck in the woodwork of these communities with our websites and businesses while the casual visitors continue to move along to Everyday Life With An iPhone (vs the old get home from work and spool up the desk top + cathode tube monitor for an evening of browsing).

B) Of those us first caught in its promising snare, we are now a couple of decades older. Camping in the chilly forest looks less inviting at the age of 60 than it did at the age of 40. Where is our upcoming generation of young air-cooled VW enthusiasts and where are the Volkswagens within their price range?

C) There will be about six of us diehard VW drivers left in 2026.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone

Post by hambone » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:49 pm

Points all taken. We are the last of the Bohemians, in love with a brand that is fading away.
Summer in the wild lands is not to be missed. Yeah a lot of bugs and mosquitoes but it is pure Nature's glory. Throw the iphone out the winder.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:14 am

hambone wrote:Points all taken. We are the last of the Bohemians, in love with a brand that is fading away.
Summer in the wild lands is not to be missed. Yeah a lot of bugs and mosquitoes but it is pure Nature's glory. Throw the iphone out the winder.
The good news is our website rank has skyrocketed from 5,098,670 to 1,480,223.

We amuse the world.
Colin

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:27 am

Amskeptic wrote:Where is our upcoming generation of young air-cooled VW enthusiasts and where are the Volkswagens within their price range?
This, I aim to find out. As I hang out in the right lane for days at a time, I ponder how many people my age really want to "own" the car, or how many want to "have" the car. I think price point is a big deal; cheaper entry-level prices can lead to discouragement when not everything is as comparatively cheap. Higher entry price can put off some, yes, but it also ruins a lot of the joy some get from putting miles and nicks and scratches and stains on the cars. My $2600 bug runs and drives as well as a friend's shiny restored '68 westy that she paid dearly for. We're going through the car now to make sure it's more reliable, and you bet it will see the forest and the desert.

Without going off the topic deep end, I don't think these group camping trips are something that folks my age/generation just try out for fun. I really think it's something you do growing up to appreciate it as an adult. I don't have any friends that enjoy camping as adults that never went as children. This weekend, it will be five or six of us, in three Volkswagens, in Joshua Tree.

We're out there! It's just perfect weather and solitude in the desert this time of year…

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:22 am

asiab3 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:Where is our upcoming generation of young air-cooled VW enthusiasts and where are the Volkswagens within their price range?
This, I aim to find out. As I hang out in the right lane for days at a time, I ponder how many people my age really want to "own" the car, or how many want to "have" the car.
I don't think these group camping trips are something that folks my age/generation just try out for fun.
I really think it's something you do growing up to appreciate it as an adult.
I don't have any friends that enjoy camping as adults that never went as children.

This weekend, it will be five or six of us, in three Volkswagens, in Joshua Tree.
We're out there! It's just perfect weather and solitude in the desert this time of year…

Robbie
All good points. Shall comfort-seeking helicoptered children grow up not wanting to do anything?

Youse young VW aficionados need to start inviting your friend's children out on camping trips.
a) it gives the parents decompression time
b) it gives the kids memories
c) it gives your VW something worthwhile to do
d) it helps me have just one more generation of VW owner to consult before my clock runs out.
Colin :blackeye:

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:05 am

I'm not quite to the age where any of my friends have children A) old enough to remember what they did five minutes ago, B) can ride in a car without spitting up, or C) don't require diapers.

Give us a few years and we'll be there. Or I'll just invite their parents :)

--

I have run into a few people my age who purchased a bus or a bug for the image and lifestyle portrayed in media/advertising. Three of them took to the quality, quirks, and demands early on. The fourth didn't understand why all the new parts he bought didn't fit, something was always going wrong, and he had to get his hands dirty. The fourth was the cheapest (and worst off) car of the bunch.

Now that I've derailed the thread even further, I'm going to invite some families. Happy thanksgiving.
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:46 pm

Most people go out on weekends, but weekends are difficult for me and have been for ten years now. Yeah, sometimes I can get time off for a weekend jaunt out to the woods but I need to know weeks and weeks in advance to get the time off.

Sucks, but there it is. Plus the Still Dead Bus situation. Stupid rain and stupid daylight savings time...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

hambone

Post by hambone » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:41 pm

I am the opposite, never really camped until my 20s. Suburban/crazy family hated nature. Always in my heart, just needed the geography. I am a natural out there though, a good argument for past lives.

We have a big gap between 1969 Hanover and Now. In the 80s, 90s it just wasn't so far away...now it's all getting vintage including our sorry asses. Rarity (usually) = higher value/demand.
I would love to love some of this "modern" stuff rolling out, but it is just too expensive, too flashy, and too fragile. If a solar car comes out that will last generations and needs a 13mm to fix then I'm all over it, assuming it isn't built for the wealthy like everything else...but it will be, because it is corporately stupid to lower your profit margin. In short, I am sort of tired of giving a shit about material goods. Maybe it's a blessing that it's all junk, or we'd covet it all the more.
I was surprised to see you can purchase a running restored 1938 ford sedan coupe for only a few thousand. Demand is highly fickle.