Annual Badger Creek Spring Trip - Mar 21-23

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Annual Badger Creek Spring Trip - Mar 21-23

Post by deschutestrout » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 am

My spring is suddenly busy! The only weekend that will work for me is March 21-23. This is a bit earlier than the last several ... but as I recall more in keeping with our first several :cyclopsani: . How does this look for folks?

Exact location is yet to be determined. My boys and I are trying to explore the area a bit to zero in on some new options. We've found one good camp down the paved road, but access will be questionable if the road is muddy (one helluva spot that could prove to be a major issue if soaked or snow covered). We'll keep exploring ... and, we already have several good options from years past.
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Annual Badger Creek Spring Trip - Mar 21-23

Post by hambone » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:05 pm

I would rather bee further from a road for that Wilderness Experience. Trail heads nearby are a plus.
That is early, we'll have to see what the weather has in store...it does seem like an early spring is upon us.
We could also go back to Bonney Crossing, it's been a few years. That's a nice camp too. But it would be fun to head north.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:32 pm

That "new" camp isn't right off the pavement ... just used that as reference ... it's about 1/2 mile or so up an FS road (2210 if memory, bad as it is getting, serves me correctly) ... but, I think we can find better :-)

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:00 pm

Not sure if that weekend will work for me but don't change it if that works for the majority.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:19 am

I think that is a good weekend for me.
Just need to do that bus refresh tune-up I've been putting off.
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:15 pm

I have penciled this in and will check in with the General.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:33 pm

:cheers: . this weekend is looking good for folks. only one i can do, so if folks decide another weekend is better for the masses, do it ... i'll catch up some other time :salute: but, i'm planning on camping that weekend ... with or without all ya'all.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:10 pm

Okay I think I'm in. Other plans didn't materialize as we were hoping. Have you done any more scouting up there Mark?

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:41 pm

The boys and I did some exploring yesterday ... we headed north on that paved road until it T-eed then hung a left ... there were a couple promising roads ... but I hit snow...not much, but too much to feel safe driving much farther. We'll see what the weather does between now and then. Currently, things are kind of a mud pit up there with all the snow and rain. Hopefully things will dry out ... worse case we go to one of our previously used sites .... if I have time to drive back up there prior to our campy trip, I will ... lots to explore in the north ... just couldn't get as far as I wanted :cyclopsani:

I did find one very workable site in that area, but it is right off the road ... as opposed to our preferred spur road camps. I KNOW there are more options farther up towards Jordan Butte (and a trail there as well). We're getting to pretty high elevations up there, and even if the snow is gone (which it likely will be), it could be mud city. Hammy also suggested Bonney Crossing which we haven't been to in a while ... very viable option.

hambone

Post by hambone » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:12 pm

I was looking at the map, that upper paved road gets up 3800' and up for the Good Stuff by the wilderness boundary. We don't want anyone gettin stuck again like John did that one year. It may be a summer destination, but hey I'm game. I'll bet some of those trails around there are very lightly used.

Bonney Crossing has a very old trail that heads on down the creek, abandoned since the 20s or so. BUT would it be dark down there this time of year? (It could be dark above too...)
It's also nice just above Bonney, where we started all this madness, over in the White River Wildlife oaks. That muddied road was too busy.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:39 pm

what did you guys think of that site where I came up for one night ... 3 years ago or so ... Ham, Jasan, Sluggo were there. I wasn't there long enough to make an assessment ... nice big site as I recall. and, the spot on top "where it all started" ... road gets too much traffic and 4-wheelers looking for gas and screwdrivers and such :drunken:

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:45 pm

I did like that spot. I've wanted to check it out again. I don't think we saw anyone come down that far while we there if I remember correctly. I'm guessing we'll have to go through Tygh Valley since 48 is probably snowed in.

hambone

Post by hambone » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:46 pm

What about this Highland Ditch Road? It loops around, and it looks like there may be a camp or 2 up there, overlooking Badger Creek. Worth a look maybe? Just above Bonney Crossing, but to the west.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/45.2573 ... d45.247341

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:01 pm

I'll have to look at my paper map to get my bearings on exactly where that is ... that google view doesn't cut it for me ... highland ditch is what we cross right before you drop down the hill to bonney crossing, and right before where we've taken the right to the upper camp. the roads shown on that google view don't make sense based on the roads i've driven around up there. i'll take a peek at my FS map and get back to ya :geek:

hambone

Post by hambone » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:03 pm

2710, up and west of Bonney, then it hits 4811 if you want. Yeah check the paper, it looks promising. Above Stockton Spring on the south canyon top of Badger Creek.
I was just looking at old pictures, Bonney Crossing is a pretty nice camp. I wouldn't mind spending a few days down there either. :sunny:
The following week is spring break, want to stay an extra day?