IAC's Visit in San Diego 8/4/2007

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

MConverse
Getting Hooked!

IAC's Visit in San Diego 8/4/2007

Post by MConverse » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:01 pm

I don't even know where to begin this post. I have so much info bouncing around my head now, that I'm literally overwhelmed. So I'm just gonna ramble.

First off - If you are an air cooled vw owner, you *want* a visit from Colin!. I learned more of the WHY's in one day, than I did reading forums for the past 2 years. The man is simply put a brilliant teacher. He can explain the intricacies of how and why about everything on the bus with such amazing clarity, that anyone would be hard put to not grasp what he is teaching. Not only does he explain everything, but he *documents* it, right there in front of your eyes, and leaves you with not only the knowledge gained, but notes and drawings as a reference to go back and review later on. He makes the entire process one that is challenging, fun, and will leave you mentally drained.

And that's just the first hour.

Then comes some "hands on" time. You get to actually apply the knowledge "fine tuning" your engine, as he goes over every system step by step, asks you questions to ensure you grasped the lessons, shows you, and checks your work every step of the way.

By now, you have more than gotten your "price of admission"'s worth of money.

Once the engine was in tune, we went for a rudely abrupted ride where in less than 2 blocks, and I'm no shitting you here - Colin figured out everything that was wrong with my bus.

Back to the garage we went, and attacked every single problem that he noticed.

Suspension issues, Brake issues, Bearing issues, Steering box issues, Steering wheel issues, Shifter issues, Shift Coupler issues. Where all explained in detail, examined, and repaired over the next few hours.

Not only does Colin lead you in the repairs of everything needed, but he takes time to explain/document all the systems, *WHY* it's the way it is, and how to keep it running well.

Once we adjusted and repaired everything Colin noticed in that short 2 block ride, we went back out for another drive. Once again, I'm not bullshitting you here. EVERY SINGLE ISSUE was resolved. Every single uncomfortable noise, bump, and burp that I noticed before Colin had arrived, was explained in detail (complete with drawings, and documentation), repaired and resolved. It was a night and day differance.

The bus ran great, no "weird" noises, it revved nicely, shifted smoothly, and moved down the road with confidence.

Colin took time out to document everything we had done, and make notes of things that were missing from my engine (Oil pressure sending boot, alternator plastic cover, cooling flaps) and ensure that I understood what the next steps were to resolve them. He gave me pointers on driving, how to "listen" to my engine, simple checks to ensure it is running efficiently etc etc.

Once again, I cannot stress enough, how valuable Colin's visit was. I'm sure that given a couple of years, a few thousand dollars, a rebuilt engine or two, and going thru most VW mechanics within 100 miles of me, I could have attained what Colin did for me in an extremely busy 10 hours of work. But I'd still be lacking the knowledge, or any ability to diagnose issues myself.

Colin, *you* are the man.

Thanks,

Mike

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:47 pm

Glad it went well for you brother! :cheers:
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:45 pm

That Westy of yours (I won't even mention the price you paid for it. . .) is fortunate to have found you. I look forward to seeing it completed and Road Warrior certified.

That was an enjoyable day and thank you for giving me a chance to take a breather from my new relatives during our reunion weekend :drunken:
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

soulful66
Addicted!

Post by soulful66 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:00 pm

Glad to hear you learned alot. There really is no substitute for hands on learning from a sage like Colin. Have fun with your bus, I am sure it is happier now, knowing that you are prepared to work it.
Best Regards,
John
'72 westy 3TC
'73 westy 1700 dual solex
'79 westy 2000 F.I.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:22 pm

soulful66 wrote:Glad to hear you learned alot. There really is no substitute for hands on learning from a sage like Colin. Have fun with your bus, I am sure it is happier now, knowing that you are prepared to work it.
Best Regards,
John
So John, how are the dual carbs starting in the morning? We never did synchronize the fast-idle links and choke opening rates. Or is too hot where you are to even kick on the chokes? We are 107* this afternoon. I "picnicked" in an interstate culvert, it was too hot to sit in the car unless it was moving.
Colin
(and what is an IAC picnic? seat-warmed raw broccoli, horribly slippery seat-warmed string cheese, and a 1/4 bag of Tostito bite sized white corn tortillas that felt close to having just come off the fire)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: IAC's Visit in San Diego 8/4/2007

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:53 pm

MConverse wrote: (Oil pressure sending boot, alternator plastic cover, cooling flaps)
How is the flaps situation resolving?
Colin

MConverse
Getting Hooked!

Re: IAC's Visit in San Diego 8/4/2007

Post by MConverse » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:37 am

Amskeptic wrote:
How is the flaps situation resolving?
Colin
Haven't worked on it yet. I've been re-doing the wiring under the dashboard to get everything tip-top, and mount my fusebox where it belongs. Found the short that was popping the #2 fuse, and fixed it. slowly but surely getting rid of the spaghetti wiring from before.

I did fiddle with the ignition switch, but I'm still having issues. I made a post on TS - but I doubt anyone will have much advice. I'm going to get the "dealer only" ignition switch (german) and see if that resolves it. If not, I'll take the whole system to a locksmith and see what he can do.

Gonna try to make a run up to interstate salvage in the next couple of weekends and pillage and plunder for parts I need, and some spares :)

Mike

soulful66
Addicted!

Post by soulful66 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:04 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
soulful66 wrote:Glad to hear you learned alot. There really is no substitute for hands on learning from a sage like Colin. Have fun with your bus, I am sure it is happier now, knowing that you are prepared to work it.
Best Regards,
John
So John, how are the dual carbs starting in the morning? We never did synchronize the fast-idle links and choke opening rates. Or is too hot where you are to even kick on the chokes? We are 107* this afternoon. I "picnicked" in an interstate culvert, it was too hot to sit in the car unless it was moving.
Colin
I have yet to start it in the mornings. I took it out for a drive last week and it was fine. I am sure you will find any adjustment abnornalities when you visit next year. I am very pleased with the carbs, and wish we had done this last year!
Best Regards,
John
'72 westy 3TC
'73 westy 1700 dual solex
'79 westy 2000 F.I.