VW Bus Buying Advice

Buy & Sell all your Air-Cooled vehicles here! VW, Porsche, etc...

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic, bretski

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: VW Bus Buying Advice

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Fri May 31, 2019 7:39 pm

The admins are pretty liberal and all with where we put our posts, but I think it's time for you to move this discussion to one of the other forums...'cause..you know.... you BOUGHT a bus, don't need no stinkin' advise on how to buy one any more. :)
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

omacdon2
Getting Hooked!

Post by omacdon2 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:40 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:39 pm
The admins are pretty liberal and all with where we put our posts, but I think it's time for you to move this discussion to one of the other forums...'cause..you know.... you BOUGHT a bus, don't need no stinkin' advise on how to buy one any more. :)
Yes I agree with moving the discussion thread, but there's no button for me to do it from my end. Do the admins have to do this? Otherwise I can create a new thread under a different topic. Here are some photos of the rust situation on the bus. I sanded down the rear hatch because that's where the paint and bondo were cracking and I found some small rust spots that I sanded down underneath. There's a small dent though as you can see and I was wondering if you had any solutions to this. And there's some faint specks that I'm not sure if it's rust or just discolored metal. I thought about fixing the dent from the other side, but there's a wood panel there. I've heard that it's best to avoid bondo wherever you can and I'm not sure about sandblasting in my backyard. Any opinions on how to fix it or if I should just repaint over it as is?
Attachments
Optimized-IMG_3885.jpg
Optimized-IMG_3885.jpg (696.89 KiB) Viewed 7416 times
Optimized-IMG_3886.jpg
Optimized-IMG_3886.jpg (706.67 KiB) Viewed 7416 times
Optimized-IMG_3887.jpg
Optimized-IMG_3887.jpg (689.06 KiB) Viewed 7416 times
Optimized-IMG_3890.jpg
Optimized-IMG_3890.jpg (658.07 KiB) Viewed 7416 times
Optimized-IMG_3889.jpg
Optimized-IMG_3889.jpg (484.85 KiB) Viewed 7416 times
Optimized-IMG_3888.jpg
Optimized-IMG_3888.jpg (775.65 KiB) Viewed 7416 times

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:55 pm

EDIT: Forgot to answer your first question...yes, admin's have to move threads, and yes, I would start your own build/restoration thread under the Type II forum.

Sandblasting in your backyard is perfectly safe. Just be careful not to over do it, or you can warp the metal.

Bondo is fine for filling in minor dents as you have in your tailgate; as mentioned previously, hit it with rust catalytic primer before you use bondo/body filler. you are better off trying to fill those slite dents than trying to push them out. Typically, for larger dents you do want to pull them out, but not completely out; you use the body filler to build up to the original body lines. If you pull the metal out too far you end up with 'hills' and the body work won't look right, ever.

Body filler is not good for filling in rust holes as it has no structural integrity. Best fix is to cut it out and weld in with good metal. However, I understand that it is not always practical, or within budget if you do not have the skills, or a good buddy to trade welding work for cases of beer.

In your case, assuming you don't have welding skills or a buddy with those skills, I first would sand blast as much of the rust away. For the size of your hole, you could probably use tiger hair (body filler w/fiber glass strands). For large holes I have used fiberglass and resin, to span the void, and then body filler to form to the body lines.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::