VW Bus Buying Advice

Buy & Sell all your Air-Cooled vehicles here! VW, Porsche, etc...

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic, bretski

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: VW Bus Buying Advice

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:49 am

I've enjoyed living vicariously through you in your search process omacdon2. You will have to post an update, and pics if you pull the trigger! :)
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

omacdon2
Getting Hooked!

Post by omacdon2 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:11 pm

Aww thanks. Unfortunate update though: I bought train tickets down to Virginia for Tuesday with the intention of driving it back home but the guy just wrote that a guy came today and bought it :( The train tickets are non-refundable but I can exchange them to go to a different location. If you know of any VW's for sale, preferably a camper, please tell me. This search is never-ending!

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:35 pm

Sounds like the seller was uncommunicative and owes you a refund…
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

omacdon2
Getting Hooked!

Post by omacdon2 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:37 pm

Any opinions on this one? https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/d/cali ... 21771.html
It has a 4 cyl, 1970cc, 2.0L engine and the only rust is on the bottom of the sliding doors (what you said could be taken care of in two weekends).
Attachments
7a531cf6-a754-4346-913a-a5d26460ee4e.jpg
6ce8bb31-b3f9-4a0c-8fbd-b0af5b53b9f7.jpg

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:06 pm

The fuel injection is a GREAT starting point for a new bus owner, in my opinion. Got photos of the rust? The interior? The rest of the bus? That's a lot of money for one photograph, even if you can see the tire rot from here.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

omacdon2
Getting Hooked!

Post by omacdon2 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:13 am

Ok just talked to the owner. They said they would take $10,000 for it. They bought it in 2012, drove it home about 4.5 hours, but then just had it stored the whole time in the garage because the mother bought it for her daughter but she didn’t have her license at the time and couldn’t drive it. They boosted it up last year and it ran.
Attachments
74DBC272-E927-4223-9FD8-B71B7CD75006.png
81C0FF7B-5D36-4337-9589-BD8431845B79.png
D0C7B101-C5DC-43B3-921B-4A9D22715FDB.png
075BA47A-600B-46DA-A795-12675EB11FD7.png
670CB41F-73A0-4056-A60A-0457C717B538.png
C48846D6-7270-484B-B2DF-BC5F6152FB1A.png
C9B29769-E538-408E-93C3-D2098F0756A3.png
B264012B-F1F6-4DF1-973E-901843359C28.png
90A9CEE1-FC8F-449B-AD1C-A2A008EBFDA9.png
5694B0DC-10FA-481D-A5CE-FA2C3BF26F82.png

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Some thoughts:

- Have him take a pic with the slidng door open so you can see how much rust is on the lower channel - these are prone to rusting out, and can require welding if too far gone.

- Have him take a pic of either side of the engine bay ....difficult to tell if the trays are rotted
-Have him take a frontal pic of the cabinets to see the condition of the laminate ... not a big deal, but a lot of times it is peeling.

- Have him take a pic of the two dog legs and underneath the floor of the driver's side.
- have him take a pic of underneath the transmission and engine so you can see if there's leaks, and the condition of the CV joints.

-See if he can take a vid of it running and driving and post it here.
I wouldn't plan on driving it home if it's been sitting for five years without a thorough going through. If Collin is in the NY area (he mentioned something in a post about heading north) I would strongly recommend hiring him to check it out if he's available.

Not impressed with the paint job, but understand you aren't too concerned with cosmetics, and mostly concerned with mechanicals. It does look like it has the original canvass top... who knows - mileage maybe correct
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

omacdon2
Getting Hooked!

Post by omacdon2 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:26 am

Thanks for your response! I asked for more pictures, but they didn't send them. So the bus was never registered for 7 years and my state laws say I need the previous owner's registration. Another problem was that her name didn't transfer to the title of the bus. She says she can write a notarized bill of sale, but after calling my DMV multiple times, they said they wouldn't accept that. Plus she says she would have to pay back taxes if she registered it herself. Another thing is that Maine is freezing cold at the moment with blizzards so I don't think this bus is meant to be either...

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:06 pm

Car ain't worth diddly if the title isn't in her name, and her state requires a title (some don't for very old vehicles) and she never bothered to register it...and she has already signed the title. If she hasn't signed it, that could be a grey area.

I got very, very, very lucky about 20 years ago when I bought a 1963 Caddy convertible in Salem, NH. Guy had title the original Massachusetts title (he had signed) I took it to the IL DMV, they basically told me to go jump in the lake; said I needed the registration if the state did not supply titles for older vehicles. Called the guy and he actually mailed it to me.... I got very lucky.

Bus buying 101, you want a clean title.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:52 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:06 pm
Bus buying 101, you want a clean title.
Louder, for the people in the back!! (I spent five months fighting an auto loan company, the DMV, and the previous owner, about a bus I paid my life savings for. I even spent $3k on parts, tires, and had a few road trips by the time the PO's paperwork handiwork surfaced… NEVER buy a car that isn't a clean, clear, and straight away title transfer.)

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:21 pm

Keep looking and keep saving. I hear that Bus prices are declining slightly? Might be time to start watching the west coast and the dry states for affordable Busses?

omacdon2
Getting Hooked!

Post by omacdon2 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:23 pm

Thanks guys! Those are some crazy bus buying stories...definitely don't want any kind of nightmare trying to register the car. I will keep on searching :)

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:59 pm

I posted a bus in the Craigslist thread. If it's something you are interested in, request some pics from the buyer and post them here (esp of the engine setup). It's about a 45 min drive from my house, so would be willing to go look at it for you some weekend.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

omacdon2
Getting Hooked!

Post by omacdon2 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:39 am

Thanks so much for looking out for buses and thinking of me! :cheers: I think this is the same situation as the Maine bus I posted about because the plates are from Texas, so he never registered it in his name in Michigan. My state (Massachusetts) said they won't let me register a bus that isn't in the previous owners name.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:23 pm

if you are serious, I am serious. If you are willing to contact them and find out relevant info needed to determine if this is a viable bus, I am willing to check it out for you. FWIW, in Michigan you don't pay property taxes on a vehicle, so if they have not registured or put plates on it, they will only pay a $15 late charge. They can go to the SOS and get an on the spot title for an additional $10 IIRC. Therefore, their total out of pocket costs for not registering it would be $25.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod