Midwest folks

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

poptop tom
Old School!

Midwest folks

Post by poptop tom » Sat May 26, 2012 6:13 am

More specifically, Illinois or Wisconsin folk. Anybody going to, or interested in, this music festival?
http://www.whippersnapfestival.com/index.php

It's in Rockford, IL. 3 hrs. from me, but I think I'm going to pull the trigger on tickets. Looks affordable,
as far as music fests go.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

sped372
IAC Addict!

Re: Midwest folks

Post by sped372 » Sat May 26, 2012 7:37 am

We're camping in Door County that weekend...
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:23 pm

Rats, I haven't been on the site lately and I missed this post. Next time...
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:08 am

Yeah, we ended up going. Had a great time. Nice location, good people and music! :drunken:
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:04 am

I just noticed this post. I was hoping to go to this, but things came up. Glad you had a good time, poptop. Lineup looked good, I hope they do it again next year.

It would be nice to get some kind of Midwest meetup in the future.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:15 am

poptop tom wrote:Yeah, we ended up going. Had a great time. Nice location, good people and music! :drunken:
Hey Tom did you take the Bus? Did you get any pictures?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:44 am

yondermtn wrote:I just noticed this post. I was hoping to go to this, but things came up. Glad you had a good time, poptop. Lineup looked good, I hope they do it again next year.

It would be nice to get some kind of Midwest meetup in the future.
For sure worth going to next year. Cool location. And the lineup was solid. Talking to a couple of the organizers, I'd say it will take place again next year. If so, and the lineup is good, we'll be back!
And yes, us midwest folks definitely need to do a get together. Would be a good test for belleplaine's new brew set up! :pirate:
Sylvester wrote:
poptop tom wrote:Yeah, we ended up going. Had a great time. Nice location, good people and music! :drunken:
Hey Tom did you take the Bus? Did you get any pictures?
We did take the bus! It was only a three hour or so drive to get there.
And of course, I left my camera home for the weekend. :scratch:
Took some pics of the music and stage with my cell.. Only a couple of the bus. And those were at night. Duh. Sometimes I'm all camera happy and take plenty of pictures, other times i'm......not so in tune.
Oddly, I believe we were the only bus at this fest!
Hopefully, sly, we will be taking another bus roadtrip to good 'ol Suwanee Music Park next year sometime when my girlfriend has her schooling finished up!

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:50 am

poptop tom wrote:[We did take the bus! It was only a three hour or so drive to get there.
And of course, I left my camera home for the weekend. :scratch:
Took some pics of the music and stage with my cell.. Only a couple of the bus. And those were at night. Duh. Sometimes I'm all camera happy and take plenty of pictures, other times i'm......not so in tune.
Oddly, I believe we were the only bus at this fest!
Hopefully, sly, we will be taking another bus roadtrip to good 'ol Suwanee Music Park next year sometime when my girlfriend has her schooling finished up!

I know I did the same thing, was at the Gulf of Mexico behind Isaac and did not take the camera. Only iPhone pictures and they stink. I bet you were a big hit there with the Bus!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:30 am

This thing only about 1 hour from home, so it'll be nice if they do it again next year.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:17 am

We'll have to plan it as next sping draws near. They weren't real organized as far as parking go. No tent camping next to vehicle(drop your stuff, park somewhere, hike it in), and when I inquired through email about what I ought to do bringing the bus, they said I could park and camp no problem. Well, when we arrived, they tried sending me elsewhere to park. I mentioned the email, and they let me slide in right at the front gate in the rv section!
Next year we will have to reserve a couple of their RV spots for sure.

Funny story, after Greensky Bluegrass set, the band came back to their motorhome/semi rig and they were locked out! They were probably 100' from us. I never went over and chatted 'em up though as it looked like they weren't having too good of a time, and other festival goers camped nearby were already feeding them beers. They were locked out for hours! And had to be to Ohio to Allgood Fest the next day for a set!

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:34 am

Here is a fest review, if interested!
http://www.kindweb.com/reviews/review.asp?ID=24658