Quick PDSIT question - type 3/4 interchangeability

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jalabert
I'm New!

Quick PDSIT question - type 3/4 interchangeability

Post by jalabert » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:23 am

Hello,

There's a pair of PDSIT's for sale near me that have come off a type 3. (They don't exact;y turn up very often in NZ) Would these and the linkages be the same as the ones off a bus? I'm currently running 34ICT's which are <OK>...but I'd still love to return my system to stock...cold mornings, y'know.

I know there are likely to be significant differences in the warm air system...

Cheers

Simon

satchmo
Old School!

Re: Quick PDSIT question - type 3/4 interchangeability

Post by satchmo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:51 am

Even though those are PDSITs, they aren't the same as the stock ones for the bus. The linkage is different too. And I don't think they will perform any better than the 34ICTs you are running now.

To be specific the Type 3 ran two Solex 32/34 PDSIT-3 carbs (right and left carb were identical) and the bus ran Solex 32/34 PDSIT-2/3 carbs. The bus specific carbs were not interchangeable right to left because the left hand carb had a central idle circuit added to it that worked in conjunction with the intake, the manifold and the distributor.

If you run dual carbs of any type, cool weather starting shouldn't be much of a problem since the intake manifold is pretty short. Center mounted carbs on the Type 4 engine, on the other hand, are generally to be avoided due to the long intake runners and no mechanism for pre-heating them.

Cheers, Tim

PS: Look at Amskeptic's write up of the bus dual carb system for the complete run down on the stock system
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=7767
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

jalabert
I'm New!

Post by jalabert » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:04 pm

Cheers tim,

I don't know anything about the type 3 engine so I was intrigued to find out more.

I'm reasonably familiar with the bus carbs after several stalled attempts to fit stock carbs to my bus, stymied by me having trouble finding the right hot air equipment for my tinwork and continually encountering cracked inlet manifolds, of all things. I inherited mine with a centremount weber and a 009, way back in the dark ages. It also came with IMDU blankets wrapped around the intake runners, but still ran like a pig whenever the temperature dipped below about 15c. The only way to get it to run halfway decent (temporarily) used to be to run ot for ten minutes then let it sit, just to get some heat into the things.

It runs pretty good now and cold starting isn't a problem...it does seem kinder to let it warm up for a bit. Just a hankering to get it all back to stock, you know? :thumbleft:

The webers are certainly pretty minimal on the maintenance front and well within my capabilities to sort out...I even have good things to say about the EMPI linkage...who'd have thunk that?

Cheers,

Simon

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:16 pm

jalabert wrote: hankering to get it all back to stock, you know?
Good for you!
The Type 3 carbs, if otherwise junked and off their intended vehicle, are still very good parts supplies for the choke hardware and fast idle links and throttle bodies and screws and etc, too.

A properly set up dual carb bus has very good driveability and fuel economy.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles