throttle body seal replacement

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

throttle body seal replacement

Post by jackstar » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:17 am

I know this seems obvious but, sometimes you just gotta ask. I am replacing the intake gaskets, injector seals (both big and small) and the intake maifold seals(the ones that look like radiator hose).

My question is this. There are 4 throttle body seals attached to the air intake dist., I should replace those as well correct? I told you it was kinda obvious. Do they slide on/off easily or do they have to be cut off and man handled on? I read randy's post about putting on the sleeves flush with the intake and then centering them after installation. Any comments are appreciated.

Jack

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: throttle body seal replacement

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:08 am

jackstar wrote:I know this seems obvious but, sometimes you just gotta ask. I am replacing the intake gaskets, injector seals (both big and small) and the intake maifold seals(the ones that look like radiator hose).

My question is this. There are 4 throttle body seals attached to the air intake dist., I should replace those as well correct? I told you it was kinda obvious. Do they slide on/off easily or do they have to be cut off and man handled on? I read randy's post about putting on the sleeves flush with the intake and then centering them after installation. Any comments are appreciated.

Jack
Count me as confused by your post.

There are four Intake Runners that go from the Plenum to the intake ports on the cylinder heads. The Intake Runners-to-plenum "outlets" have sleeves which are easy enough to slide on and off once you have broken their surface friction. There is one throttle body seal between the throttle body and the intake plenum.
Colin?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:56 am

Colin,
Sorry to confuse you, I am probably not using the correct nomeclature. From looking at Bentley's and my engine there appears to be a round ribbed gasket that goes on the Plenum(?) where the intake runners goes as well. The part number is 022 133 073A. Am I missing something? There is a picture of them on BusDepots site.

Jack

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:54 pm

UPDATE!
After taking another look at Bentley's and at the air intake dist. and taking ANOTHER look at Benntley's and then scrapping the metal near the air intake sleeves, I realized yet again, I was a moron. Or, in the words of that famous rabbit, "He's such a Maroon!"

What I saw on the exploded fisches was only one gasket, not 4. I havent taken the intake apart yet as I was trying to get all the seals together first. So I didnt realize there were not four other seals other than the air intake sleeves. Colin, I understand your confusion. I am sorry. I am an idiot.

I will go back and hide in my cubicle in shame.

Jack

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

jackstar wrote:UPDATE!
I am sorry. I am an idiot.

I will go back and hide in my cubicle in shame.

Jack
You missed when I adhered my tongue to my teeth after I GOT the stuck CrazyGlue cap off all right . . . using my teeth. Had to make a phone call immediately after too . . . thounded a lithle fey.
Colin

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:45 pm

Update on the vac line repalcment and cautionary note. Finished tonight putting the vacuum lines in and replacing the intake sleeve seals. Replaced the FI seals and put new FI gaskets on too. When I took off my right hand side intake gasket I found alot of old fuel leak residue. Come to find out the tin was lipped over between the head face and the old gasket. That may have been part of the big picture problem with bucking, hesitation, loss of power. I will check the hose routes again tomorrow when it is light out and warmer. Just a reminder to check the tin, that may be a contributor.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:49 am

jackstar wrote:Update on the vac line repalcment and cautionary note. Finished tonight putting the vacuum lines in and replacing the intake sleeve seals. Replaced the FI seals and put new FI gaskets on too. When I took off my right hand side intake gasket I found alot of old fuel leak residue. Come to find out the tin was lipped over between the head face and the old gasket. That may have been part of the big picture problem with bucking, hesitation, loss of power. I will check the hose routes again tomorrow when it is light out and warmer. Just a reminder to check the tin, that may be a contributor.
Absolutely but even more, cleanliness, real true deep focused cleanliness. The tins on a Type 4 engine should lay down squarely along the valve cover line.
Colin