Replacing the FI harness clips

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

JereandJess
Getting Hooked!

Replacing the FI harness clips

Post by JereandJess » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:48 pm

Has anyone ever replaced the blue/black/brown clips on the FI harness?

The 78 Champagne Westy that we are slowly refurbishing for my brother is a great bus, from AZ originally, been in VT for 9 years. Body is really great as could be expected, but the harness is pretty brittle from the AZ heat I suppose.

The clips to the AAR and Thermoswitch are broken, so they are having a tough time staying where I want them. I am thinking about using a little permatex to get them to stay in place, strategically placed small dabs....

BUT then I was thinking that I could probably replace them all together, as opposed to buying a whole harness.

Has anyone ever done it and has anyone any suggestions for doing it?
Jeremy

~Jeremy (and Jessica)
77 Sage Green Westfalia 2.0 FI
78 Blue Landmark camper 2.0 FI
69 Beetle

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:13 pm

Yes. There are a couple of ways to do this. My personal preference is to buy these replacement connectors and crimp/solder them onto your existing wires.

Available here and other places.
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/produc ... 1287013003

There are also kits which have the connector already attached to "pigtails" which you would then splice onto your existing wiring. I think both options require the same amount of work and the first way is a lot cleaner.

Definitely do-able. I had to do this when I got my Beetle which came from... Arizona.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!