Late F.I. EEC Valve Check?

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

blatzer
Getting Hooked!

Post by blatzer » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:21 pm

how do you know if the fuel evaporative recovery valve on the side of the air cleaner of all late model VW fuel-injected engines is functioning properly?
Enlighten the people, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day.
Thomas Jefferson

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:52 am

blatzer wrote:how do you know if the fuel evaporative recovery valve on the side of the air cleaner of all late model VW fuel-injected engines is functioning properly?
You merely test for vacuum at the small vacuum nipple, if it holds vacuum, you will feel the diaphragm travel through its operating range.
This valve merely limits the time fuel vapors are allowed into the engine to help pass the emissions standards. Earlier VWs had 24/7 entry.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Re: Late F.I. EEC Valve Check?

Post by jackstar » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:54 am

Colin,
I checked my EEC valve and found that it did not hold a vacumm but, I could hear it move. Is this good or bad? And if bad is it crititical to be replaced or can it just stay the way it is without any adverse vacuum/engine consequences? Thanks.

Jack

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:09 am

Keep in mind that the EEC valve share precious ported vacuum with the distributor.

I don't know how to replace it without replacing the air cleaner housing though. Until you find a replacement for it, I would remove the vacuum hose to it.
79 VW Bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:35 am

jackstar wrote:Colin,
I checked my EEC valve and found that it did not hold a vacumm but, I could hear it move. Is this good or bad? And if bad is it crititical to be replaced or can it just stay the way it is without any adverse vacuum/engine consequences? Thanks.

Jack
As Randy pointed out, you lose your vacuum advance signal to the distributor if the EEC valve is leaking. The most important first step is to plug the vacuum hose at the EEC valve (or remove the tee and have just a straight hose to vacuum advance).

The only adverse consequence of a non-functional EEC valve is a fuel vapor smell in the engine compartment occasionally. What I did was to tee the fuel tank recovery line going to the charcoal tank near the taillamp housing to the EEC vacuum nipple.

I want to find a simple repair solution once I figure out how to safely access the parts.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:08 am

I did buy a "replacment valve" from that "beetlemex guy", but have not tried to install it yet. Looked to be pretty flimsy.
79 VW Bus