Spankin' new Bocar 34-Pict-3

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Spankin' new Bocar 34-Pict-3

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:48 pm

So at the advice of I think air-cooled, I disassembled my new carb, just in case. Some mild dusty corrosion on a couple screws, noticed some inconsistent torqueing on some of the screws, and a botched fuel pump diaphragm installed crooked, the three screws creating new holes through the diaphragm that also acts as the gasket. There's an itty bitty copper port there, that should also be aligned through a hole in the gasket/diaphragm, but was blocked.

I have no idea what issues that may have caused. My first brand new Bocar 34-pict-3 gave me issues straight out of the box. The engine would fire and then die, no idle. Hal and I futzed with it quite a bit before we finally found a loose bolt on the side that was giving us a massive vacuum leak.

So, I would suggest heeding this advice, and rebuild your new carb, checking everything is dandy.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:23 pm

Hiya Neal,

FWIW, I have been in the situation of trying to bolt in a new Bocar 34PICT3 and having it run. Well, it ran.............and that's about the best I can say. I turned out having to diasassemble the thing and do what amounted to a rebuild. It was quite dirty inside - looked like it had been put together in a mud hut. I finally got it in reasonably acceptable shape.

But I learned my lesson. Now, given the choice of a brand new Bocar (or Brosol) and a rebuildable Solex, I'll do the Solex every time.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:48 am

I have one of those things as a "it will run and get you home" spare under the Z-bed in witrh the get-you-home parts stash in case my German Solex craps out.
That's about all I can say.