Don't hate me... But Weber progressive Jetting tips Please.

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

scruffy
I'm New!

Don't hate me... But Weber progressive Jetting tips Please.

Post by scruffy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:26 am

I am seriously considering installing a Weber progressive on my 82 Westfaila Ca. air-cooled. And yes I have read all the posts regarding the Weber kits but I REALLY need something that's somewhat reliable and inexpensive to repair and maintain if I can't get the present issues with the FI resolved. I am 120 miles from Reno and getting parts for this thing is harder and more expen$ive as time goes on. This vehicle is my "home away from home" for 5 months out of the year and my escape vehicle on my daze off so it HAS to start and run reliably. The current issues with the FI have left me stranded and totally stumped. (along with others) I haven't totally given up on the FI as of yet but I'm getting so darn close.

My Question is this... Has anyone had experience with this set up? If so what jetting would be recommended for a vehicle that spends most of the time running @ 4300' with occasional trips up over Donner Summit (7400') back down to sea level where it mostly sits. And oh yeah... It gets really HOT out here in Gerlach!

Any advice/suggestions about SETTING UP THE CARB would be most appreciated, And I know I'm gonna hear it from you guys about switching over to the (shiver) carb side but I am really desperate here.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Don't hate me... But Weber progressive Jetting tips Plea

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:40 am

scruffy wrote:I am seriously considering installing a Weber progressive on my 82 Westfaila Ca. air-cooled. And yes I have read all the posts regarding the Weber kits but I REALLY need something that's somewhat reliable and inexpensive to repair and maintain if I can't get the present issues with the FI resolved. I am 120 miles from Reno and getting parts for this thing is harder and more expen$ive as time goes on. This vehicle is my "home away from home" for 5 months out of the year and my escape vehicle on my daze off so it HAS to start and run reliably. The current issues with the FI have left me stranded and totally stumped. (along with others) I haven't totally given up on the FI as of yet but I'm getting so darn close.

My Question is this... Has anyone had experience with this set up? If so what jetting would be recommended for a vehicle that spends most of the time running @ 4300' with occasional trips up over Donner Summit (7400') back down to sea level where it mostly sits. And oh yeah... It gets really HOT out here in Gerlach!
Any advice/suggestions about SETTING UP THE CARB would be most appreciated, And I know I'm gonna hear it from you guys about switching over to the (shiver) carb side but I am really desperate here.
Did you say hot? I'll be right there.

Is the fuel injection system already torn off the car?
If you want reliable hot running, the fuel injection system is superior to any carburetor. It circulates the fuel in a nice cool loop in the 120* heat while carbs just flood. So you do not know what is wrong with the FI. That may seem insurmountable, but honestly, it is an easier system than a carburetor that does not know your engine's requirements half so well as the FI. Also, elevation changes from sea level to 7,300 feet will wreak havoc with a clumsy aftermarket carburetor. You get it to run at high elevation and it burns the exhaust valves off at sea level. And cold Reno mornings are no good with a centermount carb, lots of stalling and hesitation without any preheat for those long intake runners.

I can traverse Reno on July 16 or 17 on my way to the beloved HOT desert heaven of Pahrump Nevada for a week of piano playing. If you'd like to accept my challenge to get your FI functional and better yet, inform you of that very simple system, let me know.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

scruffy
I'm New!

Come on out!

Post by scruffy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:25 am

Hey Colin,
I'm in Gerlach and the # is 775-376-6872 out here at the "ranch"
the address is 88 Jackson Lane but don't expect to find it on any map it's about 20 miles out of Gerlach and about 1 mile past the gravel you'll see a right turn (first one) that's Black Rock Station. Hopefully with the parts and support I have coming in I'll be able to turn you back around before then. We have a pretty complete shop out here so tools and resources are no problem.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Come on out!

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:06 am

scruffy wrote:Hey Colin,
I'm in Gerlach and the # is 775-376-6872 out here at the "ranch"
the address is 88 Jackson Lane but don't expect to find it on any map it's about 20 miles out of Gerlach and about 1 mile past the gravel you'll see a right turn (first one) that's Black Rock Station. Hopefully with the parts and support I have coming in I'll be able to turn you back around before then. We have a pretty complete shop out here so tools and resources are no problem.
I will keep an eye on your progress. I see that you have been pretty thorough in your efforts so far.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles