stock dual linkage question

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

rastomas
I'm New!

stock dual linkage question

Post by rastomas » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:52 pm

I'm going back to stock doolys on my 74 bus after the PO had a single prog. I got the carbs, linkage, and all the air box stuff from Minnesota a while back. Good price. Cleaned 'em up in and out and am now installing them.

Putting the linkage back together I noticed that the right side of the main bar has no socket for the ball on the carb, just a "cut off pipe". Shouldn't there be a socket in there to receive the ball end? Seems too "sloppy" the way it is.

Is this normal? I'm not familiar. But MAN, do your diagrams and instructions help. And they're in English!

Lemme know what to do, please.

mylopolis
I'm New!

Post by mylopolis » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:04 pm

There's a spring that goes into the cut pipe and a plastic cap that gets sprung onto the ball.
'73 Dual Solex Campmobile

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:24 pm

mylopolis wrote:There's a spring that goes into the cut pipe and a plastic cap that gets sprung onto the ball.
The spring might be available from anyone who has all of these beautiful carbs sitting in boxes, the socket is available as a new item . . . from someone. See if the Known To Be Good list has it, or vendors, or somewhere, how the hell helpful am I anyway?
Colin

(PM Soulful66. I think he knows)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

soulful66
Addicted!

Post by soulful66 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:32 pm

021 129 957 Bus depot. I think they are about $3.00 ea. get a couple of spares while you still can. Best of luck with the dual set up. I love mine!

Regards,
John
'72 westy 3TC
'73 westy 1700 dual solex
'79 westy 2000 F.I.

rastomas
I'm New!

Post by rastomas » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:23 am

I finally saw a diagram. It took a #10 compression spring with about a third cut off. Two stainless finishing washers to fit, one on each end of the spring. Smoove, eh?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. Hunter S. Thompson.

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:56 am

rastomas wrote:I finally saw a diagram. It took a #10 compression spring with about a third cut off. Two stainless finishing washers to fit, one on each end of the spring. Smoove, eh?
That works, I am sure, but the plastic cup soulful66 referred to above is the shizzle.

I probably have one I'm not gonna use, so PM me if you want it. Always willing to help someone get the stock dual carbs back in action.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius