1973 Super Beetle gas tank drain plug

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

1973 Super Beetle gas tank drain plug

Post by hercdriver » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:50 am

I'm reconditioning the tank on my 73 super and was hoping that someone knows what the washer to the drain plug is made from. (It's the plug that you take off to gain access to the internal tank screen.) The one I have seems non-metallic. It looks like a very brittle orange rubber washer. The Bentley doesn't mention it. It also doesn't mention a torque value when reinstalling the plug.

Here's a picture of the washer and plug.

Here's a picture of the bottom of the tank where it is installed.
66 Beetle
75 Westy

Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity. -Socrates

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 1973 Super Beetle gas tank drain plug

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:25 am

hercdriver wrote:I'm reconditioning the tank on my 73 super and was hoping that someone knows what the washer to the drain plug is made from. (It's the plug that you take off to gain access to the internal tank screen.) The one I have seems non-metallic. It looks like a very brittle orange rubber washer. The Bentley doesn't mention it. It also doesn't mention a torque value when reinstalling the plug.
You can use a copper washer in its place. I do not know if anything in an old carburetor overhaul kit would be big enough, but needle valve washers are also this fiber material. Guessing that the copper washer torque value would be a good 13 ft/lbs, fiber washer slightly less.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Re: 1973 Super Beetle gas tank drain plug

Post by hercdriver » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:36 am

Amskeptic wrote: You can use a copper washer in its place. I do not know if anything in an old carburetor overhaul kit would be big enough, but needle valve washers are also this fiber material. Guessing that the copper washer torque value would be a good 13 ft/lbs, fiber washer slightly less.
Colin
Thanks. That's what I needed to know. I was thinking about a copper washer, but wasn't sure if the fuel/steel tank/copper washer would not play together well.

I had a small fuel seep at this plug which caused some rust. Would you suggest using a film of RTV (or similar sealant) to prevent future fuel seeping?
66 Beetle
75 Westy

Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity. -Socrates