FI vs Carbs; Fuel Pump Questions

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

FI vs Carbs; Fuel Pump Questions

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:33 am

I'm running an aftermarket electronic fuel pump with aftermarket dual carbs on my '75 bus. I'm going to switch my carbs for stock FI this year. Will I need a different fuel pump? If so, what should i get? Thanks.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:39 am

Yes. You will need a FI fuel pump sort of like this one....

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=GFP301
79 VW Bus

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:47 am

Thanks Randy!

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:24 am

do you already have all of the FI stuff otherwise needed to switch back?
I know 75 was a lot of one-year-only stuff and wasn't sure how easy it would be to get the right gear to move back into FI

first year for FI on the bays, the 1800 motor, SVDA dist (5* ATDC?) - stuff like that.
1979 California Transporter

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:20 pm

airkooledchris wrote:first year for FI on the bays
Not entirely true. 1974 was the first year for fuel injection on Bay Windows, and it only came on '74 CA emissions automatics. Rare, but some '74's were fuel injected from the factory.

Also....just because the vehicle in question is a '75 Bues doesn't necessarily mean the fuel injection going on it will be from a '75, or that it has to be. Any year fuel injection will work as long as the OP has the complete setup from that year.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:02 pm

Vdubtech wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:first year for FI on the bays
Not entirely true. 1974 was the first year for fuel injection on Bay Windows, and it only came on '74 CA emissions automatics. Rare, but some '74's were fuel injected from the factory.

Also....just because the vehicle in question is a '75 Bues doesn't necessarily mean the fuel injection going on it will be from a '75, or that it has to be. Any year fuel injection will work as long as the OP has the complete setup from that year.
good to know! obviously the FI on the 74 thing is just nitpicking, as 99.999% of folks won't have a 74 CA automatic model - but I just love little facts like that. if I did know that back when I rolled a 75 bay = its a fact that was long forgotten until now.
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:26 pm

Vdubtech wrote:1974 was the first year for fuel injection on Bay Windows, and it only came on '74 CA emissions automatics.
Do you have a source/citation on that? I am completely unable to find anything. Not even my Little Red Book.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:39 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Vdubtech wrote:1974 was the first year for fuel injection on Bay Windows, and it only came on '74 CA emissions automatics.
Do you have a source/citation on that? I am completely unable to find anything. Not even my Little Red Book.
Colin
I certainly do. Grab your VW Transporter and MicroBus Specification Guide, turn to page 32. Fuel injection was introduced to the Transporter line for CA emissions equipped automatic Buses on January 11, 1973, a little less than halfway through the 1974 model year. The chassis number of that first FI equipped Bus was 2142 132 408.

God I love that book.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:35 pm

Vdubtech wrote:
Fuel injection was introduced to the Transporter line for CA emissions equipped automatic Buses on January 11, 1973, a little less than halfway through the 1974 model year.
That would be "January 11, 1974," a little less than halfway through the 1974 model year.
Hot damn. No show in the owners manual, they must have had supplements. Only difference with '75 FI is ECU and throttle switch.
Colin learning is fun
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:51 pm

airkooledchris wrote:do you already have all of the FI stuff otherwise needed to switch back?
I know 75 was a lot of one-year-only stuff and wasn't sure how easy it would be to get the right gear to move back into FI

first year for FI on the bays, the 1800 motor, SVDA dist (5* ATDC?) - stuff like that.
I don't have the FI system just yet, but I have a buddy who is willing to sell me his complete engine with a compression problem. I believe it's from a '78 or '79 because he mentioned hydrolic lifters. He says that it has a complete FI system and is selling the whole engine for $100. I'll update my "Working on My List" thread in the Type 2 forum after I take a look at the system.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:02 am

Great way to do it.

I would suggest that you do send the injectors off for cleaning and calibrating to make sure they are 100% from the get go. I use Cruzinperformance myself but there are others that do a nice job.
79 VW Bus

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:53 am

Randy in Maine wrote:Great way to do it.

I would suggest that you do send the injectors off for cleaning and calibrating to make sure they are 100% from the get go. I use Cruzinperformance myself but there are others that do a nice job.
I've read that from you before, Randy. You also suggested sending the cold-start injector. Thanks again for your help.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:50 am

That is why I get the big money. :geek:
79 VW Bus

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Vdubtech wrote:
Fuel injection was introduced to the Transporter line for CA emissions equipped automatic Buses on January 11, 1973, a little less than halfway through the 1974 model year.
That would be "January 11, 1974," a little less than halfway through the 1974 model year.
Hot damn. No show in the owners manual, they must have had supplements. Only difference with '75 FI is ECU and throttle switch.
Colin learning is fun

so was Bus first L-jet production vehicle..or does that distinction lie with 914, 912 or other ?
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:15 pm

BellePlaine wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:Great way to do it.

I've read that from you before, Randy. You also suggested sending the cold-start injector. Thanks again for your help.
Cruzinperformance does great work. I've used his services, and he cleaned/servived my cold start valve for no extra charge :-$
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio