Carbed bus fuel leak problem?

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Carbed bus fuel leak problem?

Post by hercdriver » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:34 pm

Just took ownership of a 75 westy, so be gentle.

I haven't run the bus much since I've brought it home. I'm trying to figure out what is broken and what has been hacked. I spent some time and cleaned the engine bay only to notice a small stain in the drive after running the engine to dry any left over water out of the bay. At first I thought it was just degreaser, but after looking closer I starting to think it's gas. For one it's not evaporating. It's also isolated to an area the size of a dessert dish. When I crawled under the bus the spot is directly under the fuel pump. Did I mention that that engine was swapped over to a carburetor?

Is this normal? Here's a picture of the pump with what looks like a drain tube.

66 Beetle
75 Westy

Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity. -Socrates

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Fuel problem?

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:36 pm

hercdriver wrote:the spot is directly under the fuel pump.
Clean the pump, tighten the screws around its perimeter, snug but not nutso. Clean and dry the fuel hoses. Start engine and look for initiation of fuel wetness. Replace fuel hoses as a matter of course, do not scrimp, get the very best modern 5mm hose that resists the ethanol/oxygenated fuel blends that dry out the old fuel hose recipes.
Colin
(p.s. you do not want that exposed rectangular hole. It will fry the pump and the hoses)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Post by hercdriver » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:49 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Clean the pump, tighten the screws around its perimeter, snug but not nutso. Clean and dry the fuel hoses. Start engine and look for initiation of fuel wetness. Replace fuel hoses as a matter of course, do not scrimp, get the very best modern 5mm hose that resists the ethanol/oxygenated fuel blends that dry out the old fuel hose recipes.
Colin
(p.s. you do not want that exposed rectangular hole. It will fry the pump and the hoses)
Consider it done.

What do I need to cover the rectangular hole?

Colin, I've been talking to the wife and would like to use your services when you come through western Pennsylvania. Let me know when you'll be out this way and we'll sync our schedules.

Dave
66 Beetle
75 Westy

Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity. -Socrates

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:36 pm

hercdriver wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin
Consider it done.

What do I need to cover the rectangular hole?

Colin, I've been talking to the wife and would like to use your services when you come through western Pennsylvania. Let me know when you'll be out this way and we'll sync our schedules.

Dave
A little piece of tin tapped with a baby ball peen hammer to outline the shape, cut nicely and drilled for the screws will work.

August 26th. That is pretty much the "This Is It" date. PM me with details, yaaah?
Colin

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Post by hercdriver » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:53 pm

Excuse me if this is brief, but I had a good long day under the bus and really need to attend to my funk and my family.

1. Cleaned up the fuel pump
2. found most of the screws could be easily tightened
3. replaced fuel line from pump to carb, and removed filter from eng. bay

Took it for a quick spin and haven't seen a drop under the bus!

Hopefully this was an easy one.

Here's a pic of the after.
66 Beetle
75 Westy

iwantmybustorun
Addicted!

Post by iwantmybustorun » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:01 pm

That drain hose has always been tucked into that round hole in the bottom tin plate on all the "two" engines i've ever owned.
73 Westy
Weber single progressive
[Crane ignition system out]
SVDA and points

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Post by hercdriver » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:31 am

iwantmybustorun wrote:That drain hose has always been tucked into that round hole in the bottom tin plate on all the "two" engines i've ever owned.
That makes sense. Any extra fuel would be collected and burnt in the tin.
66 Beetle
75 Westy

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:28 am

iwantmybustorun wrote:That drain hose has always been tucked into that round hole in the bottom tin plate on all the "two" engines i've ever owned.
Colin told me the drain tube is supposed to drain to the ground. It is a relief drain in the event the pump diaphragm cracks... a catastrophic failure scenario. Would you want gasoline draining into the engine tins? I think not.

herc- I had a similar problem with a wet fuel pump, same model as yours. It turned out to be a cracked fuel line at the T in the engine bay. That's likely your issue too. Glad it's better.
71 bus, 74 westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:56 am

Birdibus wrote:
Colin told me the drain tube is supposed to drain to the ground. It is a relief drain in the event the pump diaphragm cracks... a catastrophic failure scenario. Would you want gasoline draining into the engine tins? I think not.
The drain hose does go into the little round hole in the right lower tin. The airflow through the cooling system quickly dilutes it to an uncombustible level. :cyclopsani:

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:14 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Birdibus wrote:
The drain hose does go into the little round hole in the right lower tin. The airflow through the cooling system quickly dilutes it to an uncombustible level. :cyclopsani:
OH! thanks for clearing that up.
71 bus, 74 westy

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:39 am

hercdriver wrote:
There is a piece of tin work missing- it will cover the square hole that allows us to see the cooling fins of your head there. I think it's purpose is to route warm air into the carbs up top.
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

It's shaped kind of like a telephone. The other end of the phone fits onto the front of the big upper engine tin piece, that wide piece that goes across the width of the upper part of the engine.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Post by hercdriver » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:09 am

VWBusrepairman wrote:
hercdriver wrote:
There is a piece of tin work missing- it will cover the square hole that allows us to see the cooling fins of your head there. I think it's purpose is to route warm air into the carbs up top.
Anyone have a picture? Or even have an extra one they'd like to sell?
66 Beetle
75 Westy

jl74supercab
Getting Hooked!

Post by jl74supercab » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:44 pm

PM me if you want me to send them to you.

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Post by hercdriver » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:15 am

PM sent
66 Beetle
75 Westy