Fuel Filter Follies

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:44 pm

Grounds, electrical plugs, sharp turns in harnesses masking a broken wire. . . . Keep intuiting.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:41 pm

After my AFM expedition (resealed and reinstalled) the Guac fired right up and ran to the store no problems (other than that stupid aux air valve I should have been working on).

One thing I did was pop one of the vent lines. I'm not keen on smelling gas, but with the weather this cold I doubt the tank will warm up enough during my short runs to work and back to have the gas expanding and evaporating. I may stick a line on it to vent out of the engine compartment through the hole where my side marker light should be.

But that will tell me conclusively if there's either too much vacuum in the tank or (more likely IMHO) if one of the feed lines is collapsing.

In Jan I'm going to order a fuel line kit from Germansupply. The PO said he replaced everything, but I"m finding lots of bits that weren't replaced. Including the above mentioned vent line that crumbled when I pulled it loose.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:01 pm

DurocShark wrote: with the weather this cold I doubt the tank will warm up enough during my short runs to work and back to have the gas expanding and evaporating.

that will tell me conclusively if there's either too much vacuum in the tank or (more likely IMHO) if one of the feed lines is collapsing.
Diagnostically, yes, this is a worthy experiment.
Evaporatively, gasoline evaporates nicely down to way below 0*F.
Colin

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:38 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
DurocShark wrote: with the weather this cold I doubt the tank will warm up enough during my short runs to work and back to have the gas expanding and evaporating.

that will tell me conclusively if there's either too much vacuum in the tank or (more likely IMHO) if one of the feed lines is collapsing.
Diagnostically, yes, this is a worthy experiment.
Evaporatively, gasoline evaporates nicely down to way below 0*F.
Colin
I meant at an accellerated rate... But yeah, that's why I'm running a crappy fuel line out the hole in the side.