1978 Bus - Failed DEQ (oregon)

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

khargis
Getting Hooked!

air flow meter

Post by khargis » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:38 pm

hey thanks everybody for your help. i could not get the bus to pass and needed to get it goin for work, so i took it to halsey auto in portland. took it in on wednesday, they just called today and said my air flow meter was shot and i need a new one. does anyone have one for sale for a 1978 type ll bus? if they find a used one and install and calibrate, they said it would be about $350. would rather learn and do it, but am in over my head. any takers? headin to coast for work tomorrow, but will return on monday. my number is 503-984-8315, call anytime. will obviously pay for time and knowledge and provide beer upon completion. feel like a chump for havin my bus in the shop already. thanks ya'll. k
'slow n' steady'

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:36 pm

bus depot carries rebuilt ones for about $200.00. Replacement is very easy, and it comes already set to factory specs (which are on the lean side).

I good video on how to test it to be sure this is the case.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=369815

What typically happens is that the wiper wears through the thin membrane/contact strip; you might be able to rebend the wiper slightly so that it hits in a different spot (take a pair of needle nose and bend ever so slightly towards the apex...if you're not sure, see if one of your PDX brethern can help you).
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: air flow meter

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:01 am

khargis wrote:hey thanks everybody for your help. i could not get the bus to pass and needed to get it goin for work, so i took it to halsey auto in portland. took it in on wednesday, they just called today and said my air flow meter was shot and i need a new one. does anyone have one for sale for a 1978 type ll bus? if they find a used one and install and calibrate, they said it would be about $350. would rather learn and do it, but am in over my head. any takers? headin to coast for work tomorrow, but will return on monday. my number is 503-984-8315, call anytime. will obviously pay for time and knowledge and provide beer upon completion. feel like a chump for havin my bus in the shop already. thanks ya'll. k
This is a tragic waste of big money. It is soooo easy to blame the AFM which is actually a simple device. What TrollFromDownBelow mentioned, regarding the wiper track is a 3 minute job of rolling the copper contact piece around a jeweler's screwdrive shank to put the contacts on a fresh section of track.

Adjusting it for smooth lean is another 3 minutes. Do we have any LM-1 owners here who could guarantee this poor guy a PASS. See, a round of beer at the Lucky Lab is far preferable to blowing dough at Halsey.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:02 am

IFBwax wrote:Hey.. if you want to lean.. shouldn't you go clockwise on the big cog?
YES! . . . . . ????????

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Re: failed again

Post by Bookwus » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:12 am

........ Anybody here able to help khargis get passed?
........see if one of your PDX brethern can help you.....
Khargis.............there are guys around here with both the skills, the equipment, and the willingness to help but this seems to be a bad time right now. We have folks outta town and others up to their necks in mechanical problems. If you can manage the short-term for just a bit, I'm sure one or more of these folks will step up and help you with your Bus. That would sure beat the heck out of trusting Halsey with your Bus.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:29 am

i hear ya, i think i will pull it from the shop on monday. they have yet to work on it it and to be honest, i dont have the loot for that. k
'slow n' steady'

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:34 am

khargis wrote:i hear ya, i think i will pull it from the shop on monday. they have yet to work on it it and to be honest, i dont have the loot for that. k
GO TEAM !
:flower:

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:34 am

I will be passing on the Lab tonight to fix a few items on the bug since we have had some relief from the heat finally.

I Pm'd my cell phone to you and would be willing to point and blather. I have an LM1 to get some numbers. Can't guarantee passed deq but am fairly comfy in the afm box.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

khargis
Getting Hooked!

passed deq along with a good story

Post by khargis » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:51 am

first of all, i want to thank all of the folks for lending an ear and their wisdom to my deq/bus situation. i even got a call from sf regarding my afm. ya'll rock! So, thanks to gypsie's help, i was able to find a used AFM from Traftons ($100) in about an hour, when halsey had my bus for about 4 days (not to dog on them) but that is the way it worked out. Halsey put in the AFM ($130) and offered to readjust after i passed DEQ, which i did easily! Went back to Halsey, they adjusted to run a little richer. I left and it was running pretty so so, i called Halsey, they had no time that worked for me. So, i went to Traftons. Bill was the nicest guy, pulled the AFM with me hangin over his shoulder, put in a different one, we took a test drive, runnin great with alot of power, got back made little adjustments and let me pick through part buses for 2 door panels and a kick board ($20). i was like a little boy in a candy shop! Off i went!

Phase II (hang in there)

Off to Bend, Oregon (test numero uno)

Fill up in portland (broken sensor - but i get 23om/tank) get about 130 miles, just past detroit, oregon along the santiam river,. the bus "bad danger" starts to jerk and sounds muffled, wont accelerate. i am like shit, how am i gonna roll this on down mexico way if i cant even get to bend! so, i pop the back and trunk panel, get out my bentley and john muir book and start reading. everything points to a fuel delivery problem. i check all the hoses about thirty times, still fine. it continues to turn over, but wont accelerate without dying or burpin. i look closer and find a black hose right behind the distributor that is disconnected (i think it is the cold start hose?) - goes from engine block back into the engine wall on rear drivers side, anyway, i connect and figure my problems are solved. no such luck! i am strartin to way my options, lock up and hitchhike eleven miles, gettin dark, dad probably worryin' and no cell phone coverage. thumb out, no takers, get back under the bus for real this time! determined! check spark - good, test fuel pump - good, disconnect hose from carb and turn bus over - no gas comin out of hose, wierd! do it again- no gas. take off gas cap and shake bus, no sound, did all my gas leak out? crazy idea -check gas receipt! what i thought was a fill turned out to be 5 gallons! locked up and got a ride with an eighteen wheeler within minutes, got to town, got gas and a six pack and some smokes just in case i needed to spend the night along the highway. got a ride back in minutes, got to the bus, put in gas. YAY - she starts! sorry for the lengthy story all to say i was out of gas, But, being a beginner and all, the fact that i sucked it up and "troubleshot" and used the ye ol' process of elimination, made me feel a little more confident in my quest for knowledge! so thanks colin for gettin me believin' and ya'll for listenin and being there! cheers (will see ya monday night on quimby)

kris "doubleklutchin" hargis
'slow n' steady'

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:22 pm

You had a problem. You figured out what the problem was. You fixed the problem. WAY TO GO! It doesn't matter that you ran out of gas. The fact that you went through the steps to figure it out is the victory!

Congrats and enjoy that bus!

(P.S. Let's tackle that gas gauge next!)
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:38 pm

130 to put in an AFM. Wow. Next time go to M and M. Glad you got it all figured out!!!!
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:23 pm

yeah, i hear ya. it was a time crunch to get it passed DEQ for my work. Now i know!
'slow n' steady'

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Re: passed deq along with a good story

Post by Gypsie » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:49 pm

khargis wrote: being a beginner and all, the fact that i sucked it up and "troubleshot" and used the ye ol' process of elimination, made me feel a little more confident in my quest for knowledge! so thanks colin for gettin me believin' and ya'll for listenin and being there! cheers (will see ya monday night on quimby)
Hats off here in Gypsie camp. That's the way to take the steps, one at a time.

See you at the Lab.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....