1978 Bus - Failed DEQ (oregon)

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

khargis
Getting Hooked!

1978 Bus - Failed DEQ (oregon)

Post by khargis » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:45 pm

howdy folks. question about my 78 bus. recently did the walk through with colin, which was the bomb and i do not think my bus has ever been happier. so cheers! on that note, i took to deq (portland, or) today and failed miserably. My HC was at 350 (idle) and 505 (2nd idle) and are supposed to be at 300. also, my CO was at 4.25 (idle) and 4.49 (2nd idle) and supposed to be 2.5. everything else passed. so i figure i have to lean it out a bit? was going to do this with colin at the lab before he split, but ran out of time. any suggestions out there? thanks ya'll.

doublclutchin'
'slow n' steady'

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:04 pm

Hiya khargis,

Welcome to the lunatic fringe.

Hal (tristessa) is THE guy you want to talk to. He got his Bus through DEQ (and he has the scars to prove it!) and he can give you some tips.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:23 pm

You aren't too far off. Being as you can really screw up the bus by messing with the fuel mixture, I'd have Jasan or Hal help you out, or take it to M & M automotive in Aloha. They know their stuff and will put it on an analyzer for you to get you to pass. You are actually not too far off. A few tweaks should do it.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:31 pm

thanks ya'll. ya know how to get hold of hal or jason? kh
'slow n' steady'

AirCooledNut
Getting Hooked!

Post by AirCooledNut » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:40 am

Carbed for fuel injection engine?
Toby http://www.aircoolednut.com/
Did I mention that I'm an original Darksider?
DDB Forum
'72 VW Squareback, 2007cc, GB 5-speed, rag top; '76 VW Riviera Sundowner; '95 VW Jetta GL, Solo II EP; '81 Goldwing 1100
http://www.frappr.com/type3volkswagenowners & http://www.type3registry.com/

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:46 pm

fuel injection
'slow n' steady'

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:45 pm

khargis wrote:thanks ya'll. ya know how to get hold of hal or jason? kh
I'd send them a PM...

hal = tristessa
jasan = westy78
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:59 pm

ah ha. mucho gracias senor bretski!
'slow n' steady'

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:38 am

khargis wrote:ah ha. mucho gracias senor bretski!
Senor, you were supposed to come to the Lucky Lab and be sociable-like and WE were going to reset the FI for emissions.

I believe, based on your readings, that 6 clicks of the black cog clockwise (edit Aug 1st)and 1 to 1 1/2 turns of the mixture screw counter-clockwise will bring you to within compliance.

What we are looking for, for anyone who does help khargis, is an engine that gives you evidence that it wants gas when you "ask it" and drops rpms instantly when you move the wiper clockwise both at idle and at the high speed check. The critical point is an engine that is definitely running lean, but is smooth doing so.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

khargis
Getting Hooked!

thanks

Post by khargis » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:52 pm

hey colin. i know, got stuck workin late, so the lab was not in the picture. i am going to adjust in the mornin and get tested. will keep ya posted on the results. thanks again! k(doubleklutchin')
'slow n' steady'

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: thanks

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:07 pm

khargis wrote:hey colin. i know, got stuck workin late, so the lab was not in the picture. i am going to adjust in the mornin and get tested. will keep ya posted on the results. thanks again! k(doubleklutchin')
Ah yes Mr. DubleKlutchinDerPerfectly. Good luck, my fingers are crossed. Make sure engine is fully warm, air filter is clean and oil recently changed.
Colin

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:01 am

Chopped liver over here says come to the Lab and we can make some adjustments in the parking lot.

Actually you can make some adjustments in the parking lot and I will say some stuff that will make me sound like I know what the heck I'm talking about...
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

khargis
Getting Hooked!

failed again

Post by khargis » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:00 pm

hey yall. failed again! rats. black cog 6 clicks counterclockwise and set screw 1 turn counterclockwise. the bus was havin a hard time stayin runnin, so i lessened back to 3 clicks and a half turn. no luck, returned back to previous settings that you set colin, but things did not seem the same (as far as how the bus was runnin, seemed a little lacking of power and sluggish) when is the lab get together, mondays? did i mention it is hot as all get up here. thanks everybody for all your help! it is, welp, helpful! k
'slow n' steady'

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: failed again

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:13 am

khargis wrote:hey yall. failed again! rats. black cog 6 clicks counterclockwise and set screw 1 turn counterclockwise. the bus was havin a hard time stayin runnin, so i lessened back to 3 clicks and a half turn. no luck, returned back to previous settings that you set colin, but things did not seem the same (as far as how the bus was runnin, seemed a little lacking of power and sluggish) when is the lab get together, mondays? did i mention it is hot as all get up here. thanks everybody for all your help! it is, welp, helpful! k
What were your readings this time?

There is an intersecting curve where as you lean to the mixture to drop the CO the HCs will go down and then skyrocket due to lean misfires. That is why I mentioned leanest smooth idle up above. Anybody here able to help khargis get passed?
Colin

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:09 am

Hey.. if you want to lean.. shouldn't you go clockwise on the big cog?
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com