Advice needed on throttle return springs

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

covelo
Old School!

Advice needed on throttle return springs

Post by covelo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:52 pm

When I got my bus the only way my throttle was kept closed was with a single spring attached to the accelerator cable in the engine compartment. There is no spring on the gas pedal itself nor where there separate throttle return springs on the carburators.

When Colin and I adjusted my carbs about 3-4 years ago, we installed two Ace Hardware springs on the carbs, which hook up to the ring that holds the choke elements in place. Yesterday, when I took my carbs apart to clean them I noticed that these two little springs didn't really do anything. I think they got stretched out and weak over the years but I also wonder if we hooked them up correctly. The angle of attack to the throttle arm just didn't seem very efficient. So in trying to hook them back up I looked for a better place to connect them to but didn't see anything obvious. Maybe just getting stronger springs will be sufficient but I'd like to know what others with an original 1972 dual-carb setup have on their buses. So if you could describe yours or send a picture that would be wonderful.

Also, I'm wondering if I should have a return spring under the gas pedal. Right now I can only drive the bus with bare feet because the gas pedal won't come back up by itself. (I need to install a new accelerator cable and the old one doesn't move too freely). Again, I am not sure what used to be the norm on my bus. All I know if what was there when we got it.

Thanks!
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:54 pm

Covelo -

The spring under the pedal is cheap and nice to have, and will prevent you from having to drive without shoes. Get it here:

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=J13009

If your 72 dual carb system is completely stock, the spring for the throttle plates connects to a thing like a cotter pin (think of something that looks like the symbol for Omega) sticking out of a hole in the cylinder cover tin. You sort of get the idea looking at these pictures from Ratwell's site (http://www.ratwell.com/technical/DualCarbs.html):

If you have the 72 carbs, but not the 72 tins with the hole for the spring attachment, you will need to improvise something to hold the spring in place. Hope that helps.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:29 am

The 1973-up method might be a clean alternative, springs to choke retainer rings. If you have the choke rings with the little tab-with-a-hole, you merely need to have the choke rings properly positioned for the correct angle of operation. You want springs that are only sufficient. Too much tension will accelerate accelerator linkage wear.

The accelerator pedal spring is not involved with returning the throttles to the closed position. It merely helps get rid of that clickity mess when you step on it and is used to retain the link rod end.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:15 pm

satchmo wrote:If your 72 dual carb system is completely stock, the spring for the throttle plates connects to a thing like a cotter pin (think of something that looks like the symbol for Omega) sticking out of a hole in the cylinder cover tin. You sort of get the idea looking at these pictures from Ratwell's site (http://www.ratwell.com/technical/DualCarbs.html):
I'll be damned. Just felt around in there and not only do I have the holes, I have the little Omega pins too! Never realized those things were there. Off to OSH for some new springs.

‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

germansupplyscott
Trusted Air-Cooled Parts Vendor

Post by germansupplyscott » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:16 pm

covelo wrote:
I'll be damned. Just felt around in there and not only do I have the holes, I have the little Omega pins too!
any chance you can post photos of the pins?

we have a '72 here in the shop that is going back to original '72 dual carbs (from a progressive) but the pins are not present any more. there is no easy way to install return springs on a '72 if you have all the correct '72 parts because the throttle arms are different and cannot work with the choke ring return springs without some modification.

regards,

VW Bus-Centric Online Parts Source