82 Vanagon hunting cold idle ~ FIXED

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:02 pm

Update:

Lazily, over the past couple of days, trying to resolve this.

Sunday:

I found that the "T" connector to the brake booster line was cracked, so I replaced it with a reasonably good quality one I had from another van. Didn't solve the problem.

I fixed the connecting line from the AAR to the plenum, which has barely on the plenum. Didn't solve the problem.

Today:

Leaking valve cover forced me to work ~ leaky VC replaced ~ crappy cork seal had broken in two. Replaced with new crappy cork seal. Seems to be not-leaking.

Used carb cleaner checking all over. Found that the gas line was leaking where the two connect together in front of the plenum ~ replaced. Discovered new rule ~ always have lengths/diameters of fuel line available.

Seems that the culprit may be the intake manifold on the passenger side. Colin fixed this same one a couple of years ago.

Next up: check the torque on the bolts. If they are to spec, replace gasket and see if that works. Then on to the next.

some vacuum lines haven't been replaced, because it turns out that finding what I need is relatively difficult. The NAPA guys shrugged their shoulders... the VW service guy actually laughed at me.

Lanval

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:35 pm

Try some industrial hose suppliers. Here in Seattle, Pacific Rubber has all kinds of hose and friendly staff.

reluctantartist
Getting Hooked!

Post by reluctantartist » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:18 pm

I ended up using some radiator hose for some of the vacuum line hose that I needed to replace.
82 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:45 am

reluctantartist wrote:I ended up using some radiator hose for some of the vacuum line hose that I needed to replace.
Did we put in new phenolic spacer/gaskets, or just mill down what you had? Radiator hose is famous for not withstanding fuel chemistry, find the real stuff while you temporarily enjoy you resourcefulness.
ColinItCold

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Mon May 10, 2010 12:01 am

Follow up:

Not too long after I did the vacuum hose, I figured out that the likely culprit was the passenger-side intake manifold.

I used Colin's Carb cleaner gig to find the leak; we'd done it before too (Colin had replaced the same gasket the year before with a makeshift set of older gaskets)

I just drove it that way for months, being busy and lazy. Mainly the former, but some the latter, sure.

Anyway, got fired up on Friday and took a run at it:

Once I got the manifold undone, realized that one of my injectors had cracks in the rubber tubing, so I had to replace that with another, only slightly less sketchy injector. In doing so I also re-matched the injectors, since the one I took out had a different head from the other that I had to remove to get to the gasket.

Sheesh.

Old gasket's covering had flaked off, causing a gap. New gasket went in, with permatex applied to head and mainfold, as well as both sides of gasket.

Wouldn't start and run, so I was pretty bummed. Then I remembered that a fair amount of gas had run out of the fuel injector hardline, so I flicked the AFM a bit to run the pump and prime the gas line. It worked, fired right up, and idled happily.

The injectors (both sides) clearly need a visit, since the chumps who rebuilt my engine clearly didn't bother replacing the injectors' fuel line links.... ugh. You can't trust anyone anymore.

Anyway, resolved.

Lanval