Leaky Carbs

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

crazylegs
I'm New!

Leaky Carbs

Post by crazylegs » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:19 am

HI having problems with a 73 bus with stock carbs flooding itself overnight .
The fuel pump is a rotary Pieburg (max pressure 2/3psi) wired into the coil.
There already been (or so I'm told at this point ) new float valves etc been fitted to the carbs .
Thinking of redoing the carbs again with new float valves again etc and maybe wiring the pump through a relay wired to the regulator .
Anyone any more suggestions ?

Thanks

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:05 am

Bad floats are a definite candidate for leaks. If you need a quality rebuild, get in touch with keifernet (PM him). He's da man.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Leaky Carbs

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:09 am

crazylegs wrote:HI having problems with a 73 bus with stock carbs flooding itself overnight .
The fuel pump is a rotary Pieburg (max pressure 2/3psi) wired into the coil.
There already been (or so I'm told at this point ) new float valves etc been fitted to the carbs .
Thinking of redoing the carbs again with new float valves again etc and maybe wiring the pump through a relay wired to the regulator .
Anyone any more suggestions ?

Thanks
New needle valves often require positive seating, use your finger while you blow through the inlet.
Check your fuel levels very carefully, installed on the engine with the car perfectly level, they should be 13mm below the body of the carb with floats in place.

I had a flood incident a month ago. It was just crap in the needle valve. Took 30 minutes to disassemble, clean, reinstall.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

crazylegs
I'm New!

Post by crazylegs » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:28 am

Thanks I'll let ye know if /what I find .