Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:33 pm

Colin,

It's a software problem, with probably two issues:

1) How the forum software identifies the tags
2) How the browser interprets the tags.

In my case (I use Firefox) the link displays as a wraparound ~ it runs 3 lines, all underlined, rather than stretching the page.

Ideally, we would have a tool that lets us highlight something, and embed a url in the text, so I could write something like this:

"See an example here."

The "here" would be in blue, and underlined, and when selected, would take you to the link.

Since that's not the case currently, and since I want your finely honed mind trained on all things air-cooled, I'll figure out a way next time to do what I want using a minimum of space ~ the hint above should work.

Thanks,

Lanval

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:01 pm

I use Firefox and IE and you are stretching my page mega wide. It's not a browser issue.

You can embed an url by using: Your description.

Practice, play for full learning power.

If you use real long URLs you will need to be sensitive. Use 'Preview'. It'll show you exactly how your post is being interpreted.

Yo.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:57 am

It's a browser issue.

I looked at it in both Firefox and IE (results are here)

There are known issues with how earlier versions of Firefox (I use the latest) display long lines, and include the new version running on older versions of the desktop apparently.

I looked at the HTML coming from the page in both FF and IE, and the code was identical. Given that, how is it possible to have two results? Easy: they're both handling the line wrap issue differently.

That said, I'll take a screen cap next time, to keep everyone sane.

Best,

Lanval

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:12 am

You're using Firefox 3? :vom:

I stand corrected. If we all use Firefox 3.0 or higher we can post URLs as wide as a barn. Possibly this is true for IE 8 Beta. Don't know.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:32 pm

Undigressing;

Twice in recent days where I've had a problem getting started. Van runs fine. I stop and get out for a few minutes (say 5-10). When I return, the fuel pump doesn't run.

The pump itself will be identifiably warm to the touch, though not "hot" ~ that is, not uncomfortably hot to the touch.

After waiting some time (instance 1 = 3 hour wait; instance 2 = 45 min. wait) the fuel pump (and van) started fine and ran properly. Driving a few minutes and stopping again after instance 2 was not a problem upon restarting.

Instance 1 was before the fuel line and filter change; instance 2 was after.

When I turn the key you cannot hear the fuel pump run at all. After waiting in both cases, the fuel pump ran such that I could hear it from the driver's seat with door closed.

Time for a new pump perhaps? Check the ignition connection? In neither instance did I have the opportunity to pull out my multi-meter and check the voltage at the pump. Next time I will and report back.

Any recommendation on fuel pumps? Bus Depot has the Bosch for $140 or a Pierburg for quite a bit more ($230 maybe?).

Best,

Lanval

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:57 pm

see if you can get the pump to come on when the van isn't running, by moving the silver slider in your AFM over a hair. as soon as it isn't pushing against that prong to the right side of it, you should hear the click of the relay and the pump kick on, then kick off as soon as it pushes back over into the prong.

not sure what that will tell you, other than to rule out other items triggering the pump properly (ignition?)...
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:39 am

airkooledchris wrote:see if you can get the pump to come on when the van isn't running, by moving the silver slider in your AFM over a hair. as soon as it isn't pushing against that prong to the right side of it, you should hear the click of the relay and the pump kick on, then kick off as soon as it pushes back over into the prong.

not sure what that will tell you, other than to rule out other items triggering the pump properly (ignition?)...
What he say. . .

. . . with the ignition on.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:43 pm

To follow up:

I replaced the original filter with a regular square one, small inlet, large outlet.

I added a section of rubber hose over the small inlet, and then slid the larger 12mm hose over that. It appears to be working satisfactorily.

There has been no repeat of the dead pump. A new pump is on the "buy" list, and will wait in the vehicle until such time as I am 1) free or, 2) forced to replace it.

Thanks for the help guys,

Lanval

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:20 am

Lanval wrote:To follow up:

I replaced the original filter with a regular square one, small inlet, large outlet.

I added a section of rubber hose over the small inlet, and then slid the larger 12mm hose over that. It appears to be working satisfactorily.

There has been no repeat of the dead pump. A new pump is on the "buy" list, and will wait in the vehicle until such time as I am 1) free or, 2) forced to replace it.

Thanks for the help guys,

Lanval
Keep a close eye on the doubled hose. Gasoline is a superior lubricant on rubber when it wicks between the hoses. . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:45 pm

Will do.

I got ahold of the mount for the post pump filter. Ultimately I want to get rid of the pre-pump filter, but it demands some thinking; right now, there's too much crap in the tank.

My temptation is to drop the tank at some point and acid etch it so I don't have to worry about garbage into the filter.

FYI ~ I started my auto 100 class this week. Teacher is old-school Am. muscle fan, but apparently got his start working VW's back in the day. Looks like good fun.

Best,

Lanval