fuel embolism?

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

fuel embolism?

Post by whc03grady » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:21 pm

I was test driving a '71 Squareback today (that I can't believe I'm actually thinking about buying--we are way too poor to be a three-car household) and before I started it, the seller told me, "You'll have to turn it over twice. There's air in the line and the first start never works." Sure enough I did and it didn't. The car ran very nicely, but I can't help but wonder that two-turnover syndrome isn't a sign of Worse Things to Come.
Also, there was a constant hum coming from in front of the dash, almost like a fan, that I didn't take time to trace. I don't think it was the fresh air fan because the fresh air fan switch didn't affect it.
Like I said, it's a '71 Type III with its fuel injection intact.
Thoughts?
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:32 pm

I don't buy "air in the line". Maybe the fuel pump can't build enough pressure to start first try?

And maybe the noise is the fuel pump struggling against a clogged filter or worse, a clogged tank??? Where is the fuel pump on a Type III?
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:06 am

This is sparking my interest. I was thinking fuel pump pressure too. My rig does the 'second time around' thing too.

I have a fuel pump that is giving me the hum sound. A few months back I had a gelatinous gob of what appeared to be silicone sealant in my fuel filter. I presumed this to be some sealant that squeezed into the tank when I reseated the sending unit. (I know "use graphite and a new ring". Didn't have one that Sunday afternoon and it was previously sealed with some sort of rtv.)

The humming sound makes me think the pump is working under load. Perhaps the squareback is doing the same thing.

I wonder if anyone can suggest a method of clearing the gas tank ports.

Another possibility is the pump is wearing out. It seems to have good pressure when tested.

Good luck Mitch.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....