Bosch K-Jetronic was on which now?

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Bosch K-Jetronic was on which now?

Post by Hippie » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:58 pm

Anybody know which VWs had the mechanical K-Jetronic fuel injection system? Like this one http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/fuel_i ... onic.shtml
I read VW used this on some models but can't seem to find any models that didn't use the computer driven electric injectors.
Just curious.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:07 pm

The water cooled VWs used K-Jetronic starting with the 1976 Dasher (but not the Vanagon, even after it was water-cooled). It was added to the Rabbit in 77. The "tronic" part is a misnomer - there was no computer until it became KE-Jetronic (I think) when the oxygen sensor added a feedback loop. My 88 Audi had that version. It was still 90% mechanical, but the fuel pressure was modified by an electronic valve to fine tune the mixture.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:47 pm

vwlover77 wrote:The water cooled VWs used K-Jetronic starting with the 1976 Dasher (but not the Vanagon, even after it was water-cooled). It was added to the Rabbit in 77. The "tronic" part is a misnomer - there was no computer until it became KE-Jetronic (I think) when the oxygen sensor added a feedback loop. My 88 Audi had that version. It was still 90% mechanical, but the fuel pressure was modified by an electronic valve to fine tune the mixture.
What is the logic? My '75 bus is FI, but my '75 Rabbit was carb. Were they just not comfortable with water cooled and wanted to limit the 'new stuff'? Or was it something else?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:38 pm

chitwnvw wrote: What is the logic? My '75 bus is FI, but my '75 Rabbit was carb. Were they just not comfortable with water cooled and wanted to limit the 'new stuff'? Or was it something else?
Emissions. The '75 and '76 carbureted water-cooled Rabbits could meet emissions where the air-cooled could not. Dasher needed the cachet of FI as the flagship. '77 was the death of all carburetion, good! That Rabbit stromberg carb was a testy little pain, but I loved my '76 4 door Rabbit, what a great urban car.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:50 pm

Amskeptic wrote: That Rabbit stromberg carb was a testy little pain, but I loved my '76 4 door Rabbit, what a great urban car.
Thanks. I remember rebuilding that '75 rabbit's carb with my pa. Still didn't idle. Good times.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:27 pm

vwlover77 wrote:The "tronic" part is a misnomer - there was no computer until it became KE-Jetronic (I think) when the oxygen sensor added a feedback loop.
Yah. That's a weird name for a mechanical system. But kind of cool how it worked. Strange though, that they had the 'puter driven models early on and then later went to mechanical on these models.
Thanks for the info.
Amskeptic wrote:...but I loved my '76 4 door Rabbit, what a great urban car.
I roll in one of those. Roomy insode for the outside size.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:00 pm

Topic drift: And why did we not switch our aircooled 1600 engines over to FI?

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:13 pm

The 1600 Beetle went to L-Jetronic the same year as the Bus - 1975.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:02 pm

Wouldn't my bus (with a 1600) run better with fuel injection?

Is there some good reason why people don't just do that?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:16 pm

static wrote:Wouldn't my bus (with a 1600) run better with fuel injection?

Is there some good reason why people don't just do that?
Some of us like to see our engines unencumbered by probably the most painful and difficult garnishment of all. . . L-Jet on an upright.

I know you have been scarred by your unusual experiences with the Solex, but as a general rule, the simplicity of the oem carbed uprights is a joy.
Colin

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:58 am

I sure enjoy the L-Jet on the upright 1600 in my bug. Wish I could have it in my wife's bus, but Colin's right, it isn't as purty as a nice, clean, stock engine. It looks sort of Borg-like with all the FI stuff hanging on it at odd angles.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:45 pm

dtrumbo wrote:I sure enjoy the L-Jet on the upright 1600 in my bug. Wish I could have it in my wife's bus, but Colin's right, it isn't as purty as a nice, clean, stock engine. It looks sort of Borg-like with all the FI stuff hanging on it at odd angles.
How's your access to plugs and alternator hold-down clamps and intake boots there?
Colin
(I wanted to drive it)

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:19 pm

Amskeptic wrote:How's your access to plugs...
Yep, I've changed 'em. Have to use a certain combination of sockets and extensions to do it, but I was finally able to.
Amskeptic wrote:... and alternator hold-down clamps...
The AFM bounces and bumps the + terminal on the alternator so I put a rubber cap on it so it won't short out.
Amskeptic wrote:... and intake boots there?
What boots? Can't see 'em, hope they don't leak.

Amskeptic wrote:(I wanted to drive it)
Hopefully I'll be able to afford a visit on the 2009 itinerary so you'll be able to. I know, I'll sell you a drive in my bug... how about $380.00?
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!